Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How do the custom stock motors like Paradigm compare to strait stockers. >

How do the custom stock motors like Paradigm compare to strait stockers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do the custom stock motors like Paradigm compare to strait stockers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default How do the custom stock motors like Paradigm compare to strait stockers.

I am slowly getting deeper and deeper into the touring car world.Now I hear about custom stock motors like Paradigm or Epic.How do these motors compare to the strait stock motors like a Monster stock or a P2K2 Pro? I am running a TC3 on medium size outdoor asphalt and indoor carpet tracks.I am also running on a short indoor carpet oval.Which of these motors will fit me?What are the differences and how do they present themselves on the track?Thanks in advance for any comparisons on these motors and any hints on which perform better on which tracks.Also any info on power delivery such as torque curves and acceleration (Horsepower) are greatly appreciated!
Right now I am running a P2K2 Pro and I just ordered the Reveng of the Monster Paradigm motor.Any comments good or bad???
Old 12-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

There are only 3 real major players in the motor market. Epic, Top, and Yokomo.

Trinity only sells Epic motors.

A number of other "Tuners" (such as Paradigm, Birdman, Fantom, Axiom) get motors from Epic through trinity. They, then, "customize" the motor by truing the comm, replacing the regular brushes with better performing brushes, and sometimes add brush hood heat sinks, then RE Label the motor.

Also, a number of these motor Tuners also get motors from other manufacturers. They do the same work to them and relabel them for sale.

Top motors are generally Peak, Orion.

Yokomo motors are generally Reedy

For your purposes, you would be best off buying a "tuned" motor, that way it will be fast off the shelf. You can buy a standart motor, but performance will be lower than a hand preped race motor.

To answer your question another way: There are not too many stock motors out there. They are P2K, P2K2, GreenMachine3, Monster Stock, and the Top Based Core Stock, and Reedy MVP.
Most the the custom motors as you call them, are going to be tuned and relabeled versions of these motors. They are essential the same motor, just with the extra hand touch of performance brushes, springs, trued comms, and dyno sheets.

The Trinity line has the "PRO" version which is somewhat tuned, but in a more high production way. not the one by one, hand touch of the true tuner machines.

But you are still wondering what motor is best for you.

It really depends. Since you are racing on a number of different formats, no one motor will suit every need you have.

I would suggest the P2K (copper colored can..) as an all around motor that is fast, and has lots of torque, as well as being a smooth, eficient, and cool running motor. You will of course need a number of different pinion gears to suit each track, and driving style.

Motors listed by torqu to high rpm are as follows: (approximately)

P2K (or P2K based motor) Most torque
P2k2
Top based Core/Peak Hellfire
Reedy MVP
Green Machine 3
Monster Horsepower (Highest RPM, lowes torque)

Last edited by PitCrew; 12-02-2003 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for a very good explanation and an informative post. I appreciate the thorough answer. Helps me alot.Now I feel pretty good about having my P2K2 Pro and my new Monster based Paradigm.Seems I have a torque motor and a RPM motor cool...
Old 12-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Another thing to consider is that stock motors seem to vary greatly in performance... I mean you can buy two of anyones motors and they might run differnt... one probably will be faster than the other. With machine wound arms and other manufactoring tolerances thats just the way it is. But you cant go wrong buying from a well known tuner for the few extra bucks they cost over a std motor.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by PitCrew
Motors listed by torqu to high rpm are as follows: (approximately)

P2K (or P2K based motor) Most torque
P2k2
Top based Core/Peak Hellfire
Reedy MVP
Green Machine 3
Monster Horsepower (Highest RPM, lowes torque)
The GM3 has the highest rpm of any stock motor. The monster has more torque then the gm3 and has close to the same amount of rpm.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 AM

SOuthernFRIED

Hey man you should give BANZAI Motors a try they are some of the best motors out there. Ask for Judi and tell her Greg sent ya.

www.banzaimotors.com
Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

The GM3 has the highest rpm of any stock motor. The monster has more torque then the gm3 and has close to the same amount of rpm.
Oh, ok. My bad.