Wiki Posts
Search

o s speed break in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 191 (100%+)
Default o s speed break in?

tell me how you broke in your speed motor and how many gallons. by reading the other speed thread, i know there are some speed fans out there. i am just waiting on new piston clips.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patrick lsp
tell me how you broke in your speed motor and how many gallons. by reading the other speed thread, i know there are some speed fans out there. i am just waiting on new piston clips.
I have always heat cycled my motors for 5 tanks while running fairly rich and varying the throttle. My life is to busy to spend hours/days breaking in motors! I have 2 Speeds with very rushed break-ins. Less than 5 tanks and then race tuned and they both have about 3 gallons on them and run great. I just bought a 3rd and will most likely break it in the same way.....lol.
-Kane
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)

usually they say idle for half tank and less than quarter throttle the rest of way through the first tank... temps around 160
let it cool all the way down

then second tank quarter throttle drive around the whole time.. temps around 180 then let cool the whole way down

third and 4th tank.. half throttle driving around temps can go up to 190-200 and let them cool down the whole way

then 5th tank start getting on it a little and start tuning the engine.

if you let your engine idle the first two tanks like some people say then you will have a crap glow plug by the time you try to start your 3rd tank and you will think that something is wrong.

My way of doing it has worked for every nitro i bought new... over 15 and still buying lol
hope this helps
Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Read the manual that comes with the engine. I never do any idling with a new engine. OS tells you how to break it in. Ed Bridges taught me. Start it up rich with the head wrapped. Try to keep it above 200 deg. Run it for a solid 45 min varying the rpms up and down but don't rev it that high. You can rev it to the point where it just gets on the pipe after say 20 min. After 45 min solid of running you can run it slightly rich and hit the track. Lean it out a little each tank. You'll know it's broke in after it quits getting rich as you run it.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default what

man take the time to break the engine in at an idle for igleast 8 tanks i run 10 through mine but there are things you have to do.
engine must be at 180 or higher if not the sleeve isnt expanded and will where excessivly. you will have to mess with the top and bottom end needles and idle to get it to run on the bench at the right temp of 180 or higher anything lower than that and your waisting fuel have seen friends try other methods and thier newer motors arnt as fast as my 12 gallon old speed alot of people over stress the rod during break in which causes it to stretch or break early in the motors life. my way is pain but will pay off in the long run other ways will work but as for motor making it past 10g dont know about that
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Alot of different methods to break in. One common thing that is very important is to get the engine head temp up to around the 200 degree mark so that the stress on the rod, crank pin, and piston are minimal. I usually run my first tank around 200 degrees on the stand. The next tank is done in spurts run for a few minutes trying to vary the temps(I try to get temps in the 200-220 range). Run for a few minutes, then stop, let the motor cool while the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. I repeat this often until I can see the motor wanting to make more power while keeping an eye on performance and temps. This run in is done on asphalt, not on the track initially. Sometimes, after about half a gallon or so, I cave to the tempation to run it on the track while running it in.
Good luck.