Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. Speed owner speak up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Ok, I've got to say that you guys are missing the picture on the Pro Mod V-Specs. They are hand assembled at Great Planes, they get in a bunch of P/S's and fit them together so the pinch is optimized for longer life. They install an OS Ceramic rear bearing, Speed crank, 21JS carb(which is better just for the idle screw location) and drill the head. You are getting a Speed motor that has been P/S matched. This IS the motor to have. If you still don't want to go that route I'd lean toward the Spec II as well. Hard to beat an OS for tunability too.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swen
Ok, I've got to say that you guys are missing the picture on the Pro Mod V-Specs. They are hand assembled at Great Planes, they get in a bunch of P/S's and fit them together so the pinch is optimized for longer life. They install an OS Ceramic rear bearing, Speed crank, 21JS carb(which is better just for the idle screw location) and drill the head. You are getting a Speed motor that has been P/S matched. This IS the motor to have. If you still don't want to go that route I'd lean toward the Spec II as well. Hard to beat an OS for tunability too.
IMO the Ninja JX is still the best.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
I also bought my Speed from the same seller on ebay. The guy was awesome and he even sold parted out brand new speeds. I don't see him selling anymore, but hope he would cause I would've picked up a couple of things.
He is on here all the time. Maybe PM him to see if he still has anything. I got my speed from him directly, not ebay.

Here is his thread where I first saw him selling them

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...w-version.html
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Regional Moderator

It's close, but with the slugged crank they are alot smoother. Plus you get ceramic bearings. Can't go wrong with either though.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Speed sleeve & VSpec sleeve are different, so its not a Speed.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Also, does the pro mod crank though hard coated is it filled and ramped too like the Speed?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
Also, does the pro mod crank though hard coated is it filled and ramped too like the Speed?
Yeah it is a speed crankshaft.

As for the speed being smoother (pro mod included) because of the crankshaft, yes that is true. But I still feel the ninja is a better motor. In a truggy it is definately a better motor, and if you have a smooth throttle finger it is plenty smooth for a buggy.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Speed sleeve & VSpec sleeve are different, so its not a Speed.
I see they are different part #'s but they sure don't look different. The ports are all the same, no extra cuts on the speed. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference. Also, that might be what they use, not sure.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

I see they are different part #'s but they sure don't look different. The ports are all the same, no extra cuts on the speed. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference. Also, that might be what they use, not sure.
No there is a difference. It is a very subtle difference and is hard to tell from looking at pictures. The main difference is the exhaust port, but there are other differences too.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Side ports and exhaust are different. Even the first MAG Speed sleeves are different from current Speed sleeves.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default os engines

The biggest difference in the liners are that the exhaust port has been cat eared. This helps with the flow leaving the engine. And it also matches the exhaust port on the case.

The Pro mod engine has a speed crank in it also. The engine has the same power range as a speed, it has been getting 11-12+ run time, they stay fresh longer do to the matched P\L. The engine is cheaper than a speed and its super smooth with crazy amount of power. There are alot of team guys running the engine and they love it.

Yes the nija engine is similar and cheaper but its not an OS. The part are alike but but missing the better qualities thats the OS engine has(speed). this is why the engine is cheaper. Im not say the engine is not good or junk its just a cheaper OS and thats it.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bbmods
The biggest difference in the liners are that the exhaust port has been cat eared. This helps with the flow leaving the engine. And it also matches the exhaust port on the case.

The Pro mod engine has a speed crank in it also. The engine has the same power range as a speed, it has been getting 11-12+ run time, they stay fresh longer do to the matched P\L. The engine is cheaper than a speed and its super smooth with crazy amount of power. There are alot of team guys running the engine and they love it.

Yes the nija engine is similar and cheaper but its not an OS. The part are alike but but missing the better qualities thats the OS engine has(speed). this is why the engine is cheaper. Im not say the engine is not good or junk its just a cheaper OS and thats it.
There is nothing cheaper in quality about the ninja at all. Infact, quite the opposite. The ninja uses better parts than the OS branded engines do. For instance the use of the .28 block, solves the cracking case problems. The crankshaft is the same quality as the speed, just designed without the tungsten weights to provide a different power band. The con rod is identical to the speed. The carb is the same (21J), and the piston/sleeve are the same quality, just in a 5 port design. The ninja is IMO and in the opinion of many others, the best v-spec ever made. The speed is a great engine, but for the price I would rather have the ninja. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If you want the super smooth powerband of the speed, there is nothing that can replace that, but the ninja is every bit as good as the speed(quality wise).
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
There is nothing cheaper in quality about the ninja at all. Infact, quite the opposite. The ninja uses better parts than the OS branded engines do. For instance the use of the .28 block, solves the cracking case problems. The crankshaft is the same quality as the speed, just designed without the tungsten weights to provide a different power band. The con rod is identical to the speed. The carb is the same (21J), and the piston/sleeve are the same quality, just in a 5 port design. The ninja is IMO and in the opinion of many others, the best v-spec ever made. The speed is a great engine, but for the price I would rather have the ninja. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If you want the super smooth powerband of the speed, there is nothing that can replace that, but the ninja is every bit as good as the speed(quality wise).
The JX21 sleeves maybe the same material as the Speed and VSpec, but the JX21 piston is not the same. The density or hardness of the Speed/VSpec pistons seem higher than the JX21.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The JX21 sleeves maybe the same material as the Speed and VSpec, but the JX21 piston is not the same. The density or hardness of the Speed/VSpec pistons seem higher than the JX21.
I agree, I conducted a very scientific test by bashing both pistons against my pp and the Speed piston was much harder!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You pay for what you get and the Speed II is without question at the top of the food chain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.