Wiki Posts
Search

First time with 1/8th scale--Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default First time with 1/8th scale--Help

I'm looking to get into 1/8th scale racing, so I'll have a gauranteed race in the the summer. I've been racing 1/10th electrics for the past couple years, but when warm weather rolls around the electric racing dies off.

There is a Kyosho MP777 on consignment at the LHS with engine(RB-S5) and a pipe. I know very little on 1/8th scales right now and was wondering if this would be a good buggy to start with? There is also a Jammin X-1CR roller w/ lots of extras for a little more. Which would be a better starter buggy, and why?

Also what all do I need to get one of those rollers moving? A bump box, servos, receiver, batteries, engine, pipe, fuel,...anything else?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I;m not really sure about that buggy but I have heard good things about the x1. Also does your lhs carry parts for both because when something breaks your not goign to want to wait for parts to come by mail. Also to get started you will need a glow starter, heat gun/hairdryer if you are getting a new engine for break in, a radio, some good tools, and thats about it. You should go to your lhs and see what they recommend and they will tell you everything you need.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It all depends on the price and condition of the buggy. The 777 while being a good kit has been replaced by the MP9. The X1 has also been replaced by the X2. While as a new racer to this scale, you may not be able to tell the difference right away but it would really suck if you needed to buy certain parts later that could be discontinued. For the most part, I doubt they will discontinue parts for either buggy for atleast a year or so. Both are very popular, and most of the drive train components from the older vehicles can be replaced with parts from the newer ones.

What's your price range you feel comfortable with? Also, have you raced anything fuel powered? Do you have experience tuning a nitro motor?

You'd need a good starter box, I recommend the ofna 12 volt motor chrome top. It's pretty reasonable, and last a long time. I've had mines for over 5 years without any problems. You'd also need your radio, and something with 2.4ghz is recommended.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bboard, I have been running jammin prod. for a few years now x1x cr buggy X2 CR buggy x1crt and now x2 crt truggy. The x1x buggy is a great buggy. I ran the x1x buggy all lastracing season and never broke a single part on it (and I do like to crash big). I had a servo go bad but never actually had a single problem with the buggy. As for the kyosho I have never driven. I''ve seen the new MP9 run and it looks like a great buggy. To get started you need a bump box a couple 7.2v batt. or 12v., servo's there are several good servo's I personally run the JR9100 SER., ACE DS1015'S and a few dif. digital Hitec's, engine a few that I have ran and had good luck with are the Jammin JPX.21 & jpx.28 great engine for $225, GRP .21 & .28 these engines have come down in price but are still a little on the expensive side, you will need a engine mount if it does not have it, one piece prefered, pipe there are a lot of good pipes as well, I personally run the dynamite 053 and the ofna pipes JP3 & JP4, clutch sys. if it does not allready have one, and a good set of tires, I like to run the prolines & AKA'S. If you allready have a transmitter and a receiver other than fuel and receiver batteries I think you should be good to go.
Probably for got a few small items but that should get you started. Oh ya RB engines are known to be a good quality engine( BUT BE CAREFULL BUYING A USED ENGINE)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The both cars are good. I'd look more towards the Kyosho myself. Better pars quallity. There were a few versions of the 777 (sp-1, sp-2 and WC, I think) The parts for the Kyosho are a lot more expensive but the quality is as good as it gets. The engine is nice but, you really don't know what condition it's in. Not worth more than $100 unless you really trust the person selling it.

The Jammin is also a good car. Check the drive train parts for wear. They used a soft steel that wore pretty fast. If it looks tight, it may be the better deal.

each car has it's weaknesses and benifits. Parts support is something you need to check into. If the car is popular at the track it helps also for parts and set-ups.

You want a steering servo with 100 oz torque minimum. 150 is really what you want if you can afford it. Throttle servo should be close to 100 oz also.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Like others said both are good. And both are still ran today. 1 thing others didn't mention is that jammin has a convesion out to convert the X1 to the new X2 for around $200.