Clutch bell stuck on engine?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

aright i am going to try right now I will lyk
Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It doesnt make sense that you cant pry it off from behind, with 2 screwdrivers....If you cant get a screwdriver behind it, that means your clutchbell is touching your flywheel, and that cant be possible..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I got it off but yes my screw drivers were not small enough to get behind it. It isnt touching the flywheel but it is a few millimeters away. I did get it off the by tspping the bearing and yanking. Thanks al for the help.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Lord

Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Lord

I just read your first time racer thread, and I now know why you melted your bearings....you were running WOT with no load on the clutch bell...meaning your clutch bell was not engaged with your spur gear, so you were spinning it at astronomical RPM's and the heat melted your bearings..you are lucky you didnt blow your engine..Try not to do that again..Check your gear mesh, and if your buggy is not moving when you apply throttle. apply Brake ASAP to prevent damage..good luck...get some of the faster guys at your track to help
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Sorry for the delay I was at the track sunday.I used my windshield arm puller that is also my flywheel puller & once it poped loose the bearing would slide on & off the crank no problem.I lean twards the electrolesis theory as the crank was absolutly perfect,I do have the tools to check.Had this happen 3-4 times over the years.Maybe when the crank overheats & the bearing overheats they bond lightly on the molecular level or something but would you call that electrilosis or the cold weld theory?haha anyway a puller with very sharp teeth to awnser your question rgrassey & glad to hear you got it & how did the crank look afterwards.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

looks fine as far as I know and jas, right when I realized the gear mesh was off I applied breaks asap. Also I just took my center diff out to check the bearings because I saw there was some slop like one of the other members said. The bearings looked fine but they were very dirty so I cleaned and lubed them up and now there is no more slop. So that combined with a new clutch bell, clutch bearings, and some loctite should stop this mesh proble,(knock on wood). Thanks for all the help guys, great to have a source like this and not have to drive a half an hour to my lhs. HAHA
Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

right on little man...go get some trophies!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Haha thanks alot, you think there could be any damage to my motor and if there is how would I know. Also when the two gears came apart I did not apply any throttle it was just at idle until I could hit the breaks. Would that blow it?? Also one last question, before I left I noticed when I hit my breaks my idle would lower a tad, is this normal or should I ajdust my throttle trim??
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Lord

adjust your linkage..it is holding the idle open, and closing it when you brake..your engine will only be damaged if you overheated it severely..look at your glow plug..if it looks fried you overheated it severely...make sure you get someone to help you set your end points on the servo's so you do not kill servo's..( Losi's been known to have this problem)
Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

ya me and the guy at the lhs set the epa's so they should be good. i will check the glow plug tomorrow for damage, but I am pretty sure when I temped it after one of the times the mesh came apart it was at 200 so I think I got the break in time.