Search

shaft driven car are better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default shaft driven car are better?

is shaft driven better? if so why?

I see many cars using belts which leads me to think belt is better... so why is that?
Old 11-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Both are good Shaft is better if you are running in parkinglots as pebbles and rocks will kill belts very fast.I don't have a shaft car but will probably get one for running in lots.My Belt car chewed 2 brand new belts in one day in a lot.Shaft drives have other issues but Both Can and do compete head to head on a track with the belt drives winning more often.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Shaft drives have other issues
can you please elavorate?
Old 11-28-2003, 01:46 AM
ND
Tech Adept

I think Fisher890 is refering to some of the issues regarding torque steer with a shaft drive car. Basically with a shaft drive car when you hit the gas hard because of the dynamics of the car it tends to pull one way.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Tech Regular

Yep Can't really Say anything about the torque steer though never driven a shaft drive.As I understand though its more a driving style issue rather then a General setback.All depends on what you really want to use the car for.Hardcore racing at Tracks with everything right belt might have an advantage. Going to the lot to Blow off steam and have fun Shaft might be less mainenance.I Know running my beltdrive in a lot caused me more stress then Satisfaction.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

I have a NTC3 shaft drive car and the torque steer never happens, its a myth in my book. The car accelerates harder than any belt car and is faster out of the hole.

The difference in driving is becuase a shaft drive has little to no drag on the drive train, unlike a belt car. So most people that are used to driving a belt car have to learn to use brakes a little more with a shaft drive to compensate for the lack of drag in the transmission.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by treky11
I have a NTC3 shaft drive car and the torque steer never happens, its a myth in my book. The car accelerates harder than any belt car and is faster out of the hole.

The difference in driving is becuase a shaft drive has little to no drag on the drive train, unlike a belt car. So most people that are used to driving a belt car have to learn to use brakes a little more with a shaft drive to compensate for the lack of drag in the transmission.
I have to agree with treky about the torque steer, I did not notice is much in my NTC3. As for the accelleration out of the hole I cannot say the NTC3 is faster, after running both the NTC3 and the Mugen, I will say the Mugen has a faster out of hole shot, much fater than the NTC3 and its obvious.

The main difference in handling between the shaft and belt is:

1. shaft is smoother (will have to use brakes a bit)
2. shaft car feels like it is floating, the belt feels like it is attached to the ground (this DOES NOT mean the TC3 has lousy traction, just the feel only)
3. shaft car like NTC3 can turn on a dime, you go in hard, brake hard and turn hard, belt cars can't do that well, your driving techniques are just different

This is what I have noticed from having owned both car. You cannot say one is better than the other but they are like apples and oranges. Only complain for the NTC3 is that the car is relatively fragile.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

thanks for your answers !
Old 12-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Profoxcg
thanks for your answers !
I forgot maybe why the belt cars are so fast out of corners ... we have a Centax clutch!!! I have seen NTC3s on a centax, they are really punchy!
Old 12-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

does anyone know who makes a centrax clutch for my TG10R ?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

I think you can find the numerous threads titled:

Belt vs. shaft
shaft vs. belt
shaft vs belt again

Just click on search and type in 'Belt AND Shaft'
Old 12-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
does anyone know who makes a centrax clutch for my TG10R ?
I hear that Racy makes a 3D clutch for the TG10R.

Anyway, I know a friend of mine used the K Factory Centax clutch meant for the NTC3 on his TG10R. But I remember he had to mod and machine certain things. If I'm not mistaken, it was the engine mounts.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

I think the best explanation for the difference between belt and shaft was given by an Expert class driver at Revelation last year.

He was switching from an NTC3 to a Mugen. He was actually FASTER in the NTC3 but he said he could not get used to it - it felt too "linear" - too much like an electric TC3 (he runs electric now and again too).

Essentially, you "pitch" a belted car around a corner, a shaft car (primarily the NTC3) you "drive" around the corner. Belted cars seem to be more amenable to "pitching" around the track while the shaft cars don't really like to do that, whether because of the rumored torque steer or something else (I've never felt, witnessed or seen torque steer on any NTC3 I've driven or seen).

Truthfully, neither is better than the other - it's primarily a matter of feel, what you're used to. This guy went back to a belted car that he was slightly slower on, but because he could never get used to the shaft drive, he could never get comfortable nor consistent with it. Once he went back to a belt drive, his fastest lap times were slightly slower, but he could repeat them over and over and over and over (ad nauseum). If I were to go to a belt drive car, my performance would not be as good because I'm used to a shaft drive car. . . it would feel funny to me.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Boomer
I think the best explanation for the difference between belt and shaft was given by an Expert class driver at Revelation last year.

He was switching from an NTC3 to a Mugen. He was actually FASTER in the NTC3 but he said he could not get used to it - it felt too "linear" - too much like an electric TC3 (he runs electric now and again too).

Essentially, you "pitch" a belted car around a corner, a shaft car (primarily the NTC3) you "drive" around the corner. Belted cars seem to be more amenable to "pitching" around the track while the shaft cars don't really like to do that, whether because of the rumored torque steer or something else (I've never felt, witnessed or seen torque steer on any NTC3 I've driven or seen).

Truthfully, neither is better than the other - it's primarily a matter of feel, what you're used to. This guy went back to a belted car that he was slightly slower on, but because he could never get used to the shaft drive, he could never get comfortable nor consistent with it. Once he went back to a belt drive, his fastest lap times were slightly slower, but he could repeat them over and over and over and over (ad nauseum). If I were to go to a belt drive car, my performance would not be as good because I'm used to a shaft drive car. . . it would feel funny to me.
The man with the scary avatar!!! I agree with you, its all up to personal preferrence, for me its belts as I seem to enjoy that much more than shaft. I find that the NTC3 needs a different style of driving that I am not good at!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by tIANcI
The man with the scary avatar!!! I agree with you, its all up to personal preferrence, for me its belts as I seem to enjoy that much more than shaft. I find that the NTC3 needs a different style of driving that I am not good at!
HEY - who you callin scary lookin?

That's a perfect statement of the difference. It's all style!