Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for a first time racer!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Wolcott Hobby is a great facility! You will have a lot of fun tomorrow. If you plan on pitting on the picnic tables you should bring a towel to put down. I would bring your own table and chairs, if you have. Yes there is a hobby shop on site. If you have any questions, just ask. maybe i'll see you there.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Yea probably.
yes 3 5min quals. depending on the time maybe some long mains
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For first time racers, especially at a new track, watch and learn the track. Where you can push hard and where to go smooth. Focus on driving your vehicle and not over cooking it to keep up our in front of someone else. Before you get to the track, make sure you charge the receiver packs, check the transmitter voltage and pack all your stuff before. Go make a check list of what to bring, especially if you have alot of gear. Also, try to find the "right" tire you have and bring it. Don't get caught up in the "tire" of the moment thing especially if this is your first race. Make sure you have some extra parts, especially the ones you know can break with you. Don't depend on the store or others around you. Check you vehicles for parts that might be broken or worn, change them before you get to the track. Make sure you have enough fuel with you. Some shops don't carry all the different fuel brands so make sure you have enough of your own with you. I use Byron's gen 2 and only a couple of shops sell them where I live. I have to always be sure to have enough for my own use.
Once you get to the track, prep your table and place things where you know it will be. It's really important to look at the track and visualize your race and your lines. Once there make sure to remember the other posts regarding the racing structure there so you know what to expect. Surprises are often frustrating and lead to mental stress you don't need, especially for a first time racer. Don't have high expectations, go there to have fun. . . not to earn a sponsership. Make sure to charge your reciever packs inbetween qualifiers, and be sure to turn off your transmitter too. Sounds like kiddy stuff, but you'd be surprised at how many times we get people looking for AA batteries cause they left on their transmitter or how they are rushing to charge their receiver packs cause they forgot to turn off the car.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks alot guys it will be fun!! I hope! lol
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey does anyone have an estimate on how long I will be there if th racing starts at 11 and there are 3 5 min qualifyers??
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

depends on the number of entries,usually done by 5 or sooner,just finished piecing together old faithful I will be there will help if I can
Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Practice will be an hour, from 10-11...it may extend a little beyond that. But that's avg. No engines can be fired before 10. There's at least three people
(including me) that have replied here that will be there. Feel free to ask around and intro yourself. We're very friendly here and will be glad to help out as much as we can. The best way to get in good with people is to also be open to helping out. When your heat/main is done, let your pitman (dad) get your vehicle, shut it down. AFTER! he gets the Rx turned off, turn your Tx off or just give it to him. Then hop out onto the track to corner marshall.

I am Rob, aka Oompa. I will be running a Jammin X2 Trug. My bump box has graphix with my "nic name" on them, should be easy to find.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok my names ricky and im 15
Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

So how did everything go for your first race?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Schafer
-Drive very slow!!!!!!!!!!! Focus on staying in the middle of the lane and not crashing.
This is probably the best advice, on driving for a first timer!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Drink as Bud Light as possible pin it and turn the wheel In other words stay calm and smooth your heart is going to be racing and your going to be grinnin from ear to ear. No jearky movements tighten the tension in your remote (throttle screw only) just a hair so when you do get excited you dont pin it and spin out. Turn your dual rate down these are all things that help you slow down and let the car do the work (if set up correctly). Have fun remember it's only racing.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=99problems;5586128]Drink as Bud Light as possible pin it and turn the wheel In other words stay calm and smooth your heart is going to be racing and your going to be grinnin from ear to ear. No jearky movements tighten the tension in your remote (throttle screw only) just a hair so when you do get excited you dont pin it and spin out. Turn your dual rate down these are all things that help you slow down and let the car do the work (if set up correctly). Have fun remember it's only racing.[/QUOTE

Gonna be hard for him to drink that budlight hes only 15. Thats what I like about our tracks here, NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED. Could you imagine the attitudes of some drivers after about a 6 pack . Now after the racing thats a different story look out here come the adult beverages
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. My first race was fun but
I couldnt even finish a race because my damn motor kept getting knocked out of place and the mesh would come loose so the bell and spur didnt even touch. It really pissed me off but I did get to watch alot of good drivers. Also the track was sweeT.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

just thought of something else you might wanna check the bearings on your center diff for play
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Do I have to take out my center diff for this. Also this would affect the gear mesh?? Also I still can even get my clutch bell of so I cant chang out clutch bells. I think I will take it to the lhs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.