Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schreff
Hey Mike,

Do what Goat did. He filled the diff with toothpaste(not sure which one) and chucked it up in a dremel. The toothpaste broke in the gears pretty nice. I know he moved shims around too, but not sure which ones. The diff I stole from him is as smooth or smoother than a Spec R diff. The only thing is that it doesn't hold up well in anything quicker than a 17.5. If you try to run mod with it, it might last 2 minutes before ripping the gears up.
What spec-r diff are you using? Is it the BD5 one? That seems to be what all the other cars that don't have one specifically named are using.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by eddie10
Plain and simple. The u pro gear diffs are junk. There notchy as he'll and blow up very easy. There not worth even trying so save your money.
I wouldn't say they are junk. If you take the time and build them so there nice and smooth they last as long as you don't use them in anything faster then 17.5 boosted. And they're lighter then a diff too.

I built 3 of these diffs in this way and 2 of them are still smooth as butter. Larry has 1 and Schreff stole the other. The one that failed was lent to someone to try in 17.5 boosted and he ran it in mod. I will not name any names he knows who he is.

THE GEAR DIFF BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:

Take your diff apart and clean all the oil out. Leave it shimmed how it comes. put a dab of tooth paste(a kind with grit to it) reassemble with 2 screws holding it together. Spin the diff with a dremal(I have a old dog bone I cut off to put it the dremal), Spin the diff for about 2 minutes on a medium speed. You should feel it start to free up. Then take it all apart clean every thing very good. Put the narrow shim on the outside of the out drive and the wide shim on the inside with the gear. Make sure the out drive spins freely in the diff half when reassembled. You may have to spin the diff out drive with the dremel to get it free. Reassemble with what every oil your using. I used 10k. It should be nice and smooth. You may have to play with the amount of breakin time. 2 minutes seems good for the tooth paste I have. You could also use valve lapping compound. Tooth paste was just easier for me to get.

Maybe Hanulec will put "THE GEAR DIFF BREAK-IN PROCEDURE" in his wiki
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
What spec-r diff are you using? Is it the BD5 one? That seems to be what all the other cars that don't have one specifically named are using.
MikeXray is talking about the Atomic/Spec-R SPR009-BD Gear Differential set (For Yokomo BD5 40T) - http://www.egrracing.com/shop/gear-d...0t-p-3961.html

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
Maybe Hanulec will put "THE GEAR DIFF BREAK-IN PROCEDURE" in his wiki
GOAT - you need to make a login, son! I put it in.. but I need to fix the spelling. What the!

http://www.racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon#Gear_Diff
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
GOAT - you need to make a login, son! I put it in.. but I need to fix the spelling. What the!

http://www.racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon#Gear_Diff
I'm a mechanic not a English major kid!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
I'm a mechanic not a English major kid!
no worries Goat. cya saturday...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

THE GEAR DIFF BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:

Take your diff apart and clean all the oil out. Leave it shimmed how it comes. put a dab of tooth paste(a kind with grit to it) reassemble with 2 screws holding it together. Spin the diff with a dremal(I have a old dog bone I cut off to put it the dremal), Spin the diff for about 2 minutes on a medium speed. You should feel it start to free up. Then take it all apart clean every thing very good. Put the narrow shim on the outside of the out drive and the wide shim on the inside with the gear. Make sure the out drive spins freely in the diff half when reassembled. You may have to spin the diff out drive with the dremel to get it free. Reassemble with what every oil your using. I used 10k. It should be nice and smooth. You may have to play with the amount of breakin time. 2 minutes seems good for the tooth paste I have. You could also use valve lapping compound. Tooth paste was just easier for me to get.
Here is my Spec-r Wiki entry:

Open package, assemble per instructions, fill with 80wt shock oil, put in car, may need 2 10mm axle shims, mine did, slightly dremel driveshaft blades.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Since u guys are talking about the diffs, what are you all using to clean the silicone fluids from the gears inside? I tried motor spray and that doesn't work.
I want to change fluids but can't get the damn diff clean.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

The uPro diffs are meant for 17.5 speed or slower.

I have tested the yokomo diff and it works well, even for modified.

Here is the part number:

Part# BD-500GS
BD-500GS - BD5 Gear Diff

They are a little hard to get right now.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Alternative spool cups for uPro spool

Does anyone know if there are any alternative spool cups for the uPro spool? The stock ones wears out way too fast. I am running on 10.5T boosted.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by old-man
Does anyone know if there are any alternative spool cups for the uPro spool? The stock ones wears out way too fast. I am running on 10.5T boosted.
Thats not good news... I just received one today for my 5.5 car!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old-man
use Litemodz Spool, is fantastic!

use one-way pulley
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano
use Litemodz Spool, is fantastic!

use one-way pulley
I was looking at that too, but the Roche ones look a lot more promising at a fraction of the price but unfortunately they are out on them.

http://www.roche.hk/shopping/index.p...&product_id=61
Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Why donīt you use the original spool?
With the steel outdrives itīs very solid and cheap.
btw: Iīm running more and more with 2 gear diffs.
I use the UPro for 17.5 non boosted and the spec-r for 13.5 boosted and modified. Much less wear this way and lots of steering
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lutz
Why donīt you use the original spool?
With the steel outdrives itīs very solid and cheap.
btw: Iīm running more and more with 2 gear diffs.
I use the UPro for 17.5 non boosted and the spec-r for 13.5 boosted and modified. Much less wear this way and lots of steering
Bling factor?

But honestly, the original ones work fine.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default gear diffs

I tried the BD spec-r diff as well, and it works well for mod, but it is much heavier than the top diff, so for 17.5 I use the top diff.

For 17.5 boosted, I also experimented with using a diff up front as well and found that as long as there were not long on-power sweepers, the gear diff up front was quicker than a spool up front, due to it`s better turn-in and mid corner speed. I found that going with really heavy 300k diff oil in the front, it had just as much push going into the corner as a spool does, but less drive off the corner than the spool. So I seem to like 10k (associated) or (100k xray) oil up front, as it is not too thick that it cause a big push but still has reasonable drive off the corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.