Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

the car is very easy to tune, ive tried plenty of setups and the car always stayed easy to drive its just a matter of getting the lap times down where you want them. this is with foam tires that ive done all my testing. this is a really good car that doesnt cost a fortune
Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

fit and finish is on par with xray but i think in the a arm and caster block area its better and the diffs are awesome feels like a 1/12th diff.

i have to honestly say the car was far better than i expected.just pay attention on the spur/pulley area when assembling the car "dont over tighten" the pulleys or you will/can strip them.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
the car is very easy to tune, ive tried plenty of setups and the car always stayed easy to drive its just a matter of getting the lap times down where you want them. this is with foam tires that ive done all my testing. this is a really good car that doesnt cost a fortune
could u Pm me the setup ..
Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks Rosko you da man.

Next question where can I buy a Top Photon foam spec from.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rosko
i just got rid of my 009 and wanted to try the photon and as far as durability the photon is a tank as well as the 009. both cars are very good handling cars, but i think they feel different, i think the xray feels a tap bit more aggressive and very stable. the photon feels very smooth and easy to drive with really good corner speed as well as the xray. both cars are very close but i would give the nod to the photon just because i think its smoother and easier to drive for me anyway, but i have to say the xray 008/009 is a beast.

+1

i test drove someone's photon at track and was wowed by the ease of handling and corner speed.... sold my T2009 and got myself a photon and couldnt be happier... i get comments from my friends that my photon seem to negotiate the corner and come out of it faster... props to Josh for such a fast car...

the car can put out fast laptimes no matter the setup(of course within reason... no whacked out setups of course...) and so it down to a matter of consistency... now i am trying out setups for consistency.... a compromise between aggressivness and ease of driving....
Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by katze
+1

i test drove someone's photon at track and was wowed by the ease of handling and corner speed.... sold my T2009 and got myself a photon and couldnt be happier... i get comments from my friends that my photon seem to negotiate the corner and come out of it faster... props to Josh for such a fast car...

the car can put out fast laptimes no matter the setup(of course within reason... no whacked out setups of course...) and so it down to a matter of consistency... now i am trying out setups for consistency.... a compromise between aggressivness and ease of driving....
thanks katze ..

do u run carpet or rubber spec?
any one having wide turning on Corner problem ?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smilekt
thanks katze ..

do u run carpet or rubber spec?
any one having wide turning on Corner problem ?
i run rubber/asphalt....

well the photon has too much rear grip on power (i think the diff is too smooth ) so initially my car understeered mid and exit corner... what i did to solve the problem was:

1. narrower rear track-width
2. 1.4mm rear anti roll bar
3. less rear toe-in (i run 1.25-1.625 rear toe-in depending on traction for stock... i tried 2-2.5 for mod....)
4. Harder springs at the back than stock (344 front and 324 rear)
5. 0.5-1.0mm more downstop infront
6. Rear shock a bit more rebound than front
7. Front slightly lower Roll Center

btw, follow not the kit setup but EJ or Josh's setup... they are good bases to work from.... Josh's setup has sh*tloads of steering....

you can also try the option medium harness chassis wing braces... it makes the car more reactive and smoothes out the corners with a slight loss in traction...
Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

The Photon is doing great for me right now.
I drive Saturday and Sunday and my practice times became better and better.
At the moment I'm the nr 4 of the Fun drive after 2 races.
The nr 1, 2 and 3 were faster than me but after this weekend I believe that I closed the gap to them.
The nr 1 is still to fast for me but the nr 2 an 3 I can take now.
Each time I set a good lap time and each time the nr 2 improved my lap time. I changet my setup a bit and I beaten his time with 0,2sec. He came yesterday to 0,1sec behind but he needed new tires on his mi4 and motor timing to get that time.
Yesterday my fastest lap time was about the same as his but that was a tire problem.
I started to get grip roll with the old tires. I need to glue them again.
My car is very forgiving over the dots.

Here are 2 short films of the track from yesterday.
The yellow car is the nr2 and the green car is an other Photon driver.
He is a bit slower but after changing the setup to what I use, his car went also faster. than he did on the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_a0cjLngU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnR-kI9_jVw
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
The Photon is doing great for me right now.
I drive Saturday and Sunday and my practice times became better and better.
At the moment I'm the nr 4 of the Fun drive after 2 races.
The nr 1, 2 and 3 were faster than me but after this weekend I believe that I closed the gap to them.
The nr 1 is still to fast for me but the nr 2 an 3 I can take now.
Each time I set a good lap time and each time the nr 2 improved my lap time. I changet my setup a bit and I beaten his time with 0,2sec. He came yesterday to 0,1sec behind but he needed new tires on his mi4 and motor timing to get that time.
Yesterday my fastest lap time was about the same as his but that was a tire problem.
I started to get grip roll with the old tires. I need to glue them again.
My car is very forgiving over the dots.

Here are 2 short films of the track from yesterday.
The yellow car is the nr2 and the green car is an other Photon driver.
He is a bit slower but after changing the setup to what I use, his car went also faster. than he did on the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_a0cjLngU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnR-kI9_jVw
hi milky, your car look great!

Your Roche Spool are on the way now....

Hope u like it.......
Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Goingfast
If you added more shims on the plate side ,it increase more low roll center...
I know that if i add shims to just the plate side it'll do that, but what happens when you add shims to both sides ? (effectively moving the whole link higher but keeping the angle the same)
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chris_dono
I know that if i add shims to just the plate side it'll do that, but what happens when you add shims to both sides ? (effectively moving the whole link higher but keeping the angle the same)
i suspect the camber rise will be affected...

raising both sides with shims effectively creates a longer moment for the hub to pivot in relation from...

more shims less camber rise and less shims more camber rise...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kschu
hi milky, your car look great!

Your Roche Spool are on the way now....

Hope u like it.......
The green car is not my car but from a club member.
I was filming and than I can't drive. I will ask Saturday if they will film me.

I was faster than the yellow car.
The green car became faster after a setup change and after he drove after the yellow car to see the race lines.
My lap time was 11,504.
The lap time of the yellow mi4 was 11,605.
The lap time of the green Photon was 11,980.
He closed the gap with 0,1 sec. Normally he is further behind.
Sunday is the race. Than I hope that I'm still faster than him. It will be hard but I do my best to beat him.

Thanks. I will see it coming.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, I went and done it... I got the carpet chassis and have rebuild the Red Beast.... I will post pics tonight to show the personal modifications that I've made.. Servo mounts and battery strap mounts are the ones that I want to show. No more tape under the chassis and these will hold the lipo battery in place so it won't slide forward or back...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

My tape went loose but my lipo stayed in the car.
Didn't loose it wile driving. I use 1 piece of tape all day long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.