Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Keep hanging in there. Last I word I got was to expect the next kits this month.
When I was told August I should have expected it on the 31st.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Well guys in case you havent already seen it, here is a thread that will explain itself
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ay-pohton.html
Id just like to say im sorry to all you guys and the photon is actually a really nice car. My apologies for this retarted mistake of mine. I let my anger get the best of me.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by #88driver
Well guys in case you havent already seen it, here is a thread that will explain itself
Id just like to say im sorry to all you guys and the photon is actually a really nice car. My apologies for this retarted mistake of mine. I let my anger get the best of me.
Thanks for that post!!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not going to get one in the near future Q. even having the parts cheaper than an xray, I have 2 xrays, 007 vta and 009 touring that pretty much share parts other than a few driveline components. spare parts that I have for both cars is fairly significant in terms of investment. getting 2 photons and spares comparable to what I have, even if I sell both cars and parts I will still be out a large hunk of cheese.

I like the way the photon looks, haven't done alot of research into the handling capabilities, but for now both of my xrays handle better than I can setup or drive. I still have alot of work to do in both of those areas.

never can tell about the future tho.. I remember when I said I would never run anything but associated, then I bought a tamiya, and an xray.

now, if the photon would allow me to be able to setup and drive like you do, that would be a different story all together.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dondor
not going to get one in the near future Q. even having the parts cheaper than an xray, I have 2 xrays, 007 vta and 009 touring that pretty much share parts other than a few driveline components. spare parts that I have for both cars is fairly significant in terms of investment. getting 2 photons and spares comparable to what I have, even if I sell both cars and parts I will still be out a large hunk of cheese.

I like the way the photon looks, haven't done alot of research into the handling capabilities, but for now both of my xrays handle better than I can setup or drive. I still have alot of work to do in both of those areas.

never can tell about the future tho.. I remember when I said I would never run anything but associated, then I bought a tamiya, and an xray.

now, if the photon would allow me to be able to setup and drive like you do, that would be a different story all together.
Yeah I remember when you were bleeding associated blood. That was when I first met you and I think I was helping you with a TC3 or something. That's one of the great things about living in a "seemingly" fair country we can pick, choose, buy, switch, trade, whenever we choose.
I say run those XRAYs till they puke and you're out of spares and then make the switch if you're ready. The Photon will only be getting better.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by #88driver
It's such a nice car that a Xray driver here is faster with his Photon than he was with his Xray T2'009.
The spool is replaced for a better one.

A club member of mine is driving one and the car runs great.
I can't wait till I have the money.
I run now a Scythe and it's still fast but it has hath his best time.
The car is 3 years old and needs a lot of new parts. But the car is still fast.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

I think we would be better just leaving the comparisons out of this thread totally.

Maybe we can get back on topic of helping fellow Photon runners.

Who's racing where this weekend then?
I'm giving 13.5 a go for the first time.... Never tried it before so thought I perhaps should before vegas lol. Mainly getting some data on motors and esc profiling

Happy racing
Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
I think we would be better just leaving the comparisons out of this thread totally.

Maybe we can get back on topic of helping fellow Photon runners.

Who's racing where this weekend then?
I'm giving 13.5 a go for the first time.... Never tried it before so thought I perhaps should before vegas lol. Mainly getting some data on motors and esc profiling

Happy racing
Don't lie... you ran it at Carpet Wars, and crashed more times than me doing mod and thats alot :P
Old 08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

haha I don't think that counts, I had zero top end with that esc lol.

If u look though in the mains only 2 10.5 cars had faster laps than my 13.5 haha

Do you know when maritime is open again? Been trying to contact ian but not getting a reply
Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Naa you did well in Quali's otherwise you wouldnt of got TQ

Its open Today 10-6....... Not sure about other Saturdays tho, only knew that as i went for a watch on Thursday, havent been racing since March so not in the no so much.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

ah sweet, I'll call ian tomorow then to see if I can get the track booked for a couple of days before vegas
Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

we will see how the photon does at the xray challenge tomorrow
there will be a few there-and in very capable hands if everyone shows--
xray is sending a top gun-and world champ.--lol we're gonna make him run a 21.5 and single cell--and he prolly will still hand us our butts
Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default First night with the Photon...

...well, it went OK

Due to a heavy turn-out (too many mini's) we ended up with 3 x 4 minute heats and a final on a quick but tight carpet track, on rubber.

Heat 1.
I didn't have time for a practice as everyone was checking out the new chassis - the red alloy went down a storm ! Anyway, I took it easy the first few laps and noticed that the steering felt a whole lot different from my TRF 415, sort of slow but very accurate - I could put the car exactly where I wanted it. I dropped the expo a bit on the tx and it felt better. Ended up dropping out of heat 1 because a tyre (tire in American LOL) came away from the rim

Heat 2.
After checking all the screws and stuff for tightness heat 2 was a lot better. Stayed with the rest of the pack and managed 26 laps, getting quicker and more accurate with each lap. Average lap was slightly higher than with my 415... looks promising. Lost a blade off one of the rear dogbones... no damage to the outdrive or the 'bone though. New one fitted and rear belt tightened in just a couple of minutes

Heat 3.
Started heat 3 with a flurry of fast laps, only to have the front belt jump off the spool which converted me to rear wheel drive. Pulled out to avoid any damage.

Final.
Somehow managed to be placed 1st in the Stock C final, despite only finishing 1 heat. Anyway, managed to avoid the inevitable first corner pile-up and pulled out a 2 lap lead after 3 minutes. Fastest lap after fastest lap was called by the AMB software and I was having a great time...

...until I clipped the barrier on the fastest corner and broke the bell crank on the steering - I guess a servo-saver would have been a good idea

Still managed 2nd as I was so far ahead.

So... no stripped spool (running v2), no loose screws, nothing broken apart from my pride and the bell crank. Will get a Kimbrough servo saver for next week.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with this car. Despite only having a total of about 14 minutes under its belt I can see that there is so much more potential than my ageing 415.

Thank you T.O.P., Josh, and everyone else who has helped put together a cracking piece of kit

Daniel.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys I've just got back from Stafford track after a good weekend away.

Ran 13.5 to play with esc settings.

Ended up getting TQ by 14 seconds, getting a new 13.5 track record at the same time.
Won both legs of the mains by about half a lap or so.
Fastest lap was 16.02 and the best 10.5 lap was only 16.05 and there were some very good 10.5 drivers.

Really pleased with the car, during test day I did 8 runs, changed sonething each run, some things helped some didn't, but car was really responsive to changes.
By the end of the day car was perfect, I don't feel I could have made it better at all.
So easy to drive but with great corner speed.

Awesome!!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The T.O.P. cars were on point today in Memphis!

First off, I want to give props to Chad Rizor today for getting his first win at a "away race" in the Novice TC class. He TQ'ed and Won, and will likely be moving up soon.

I TQ'ed and Won in Stock (there was no 13.5 class). I ran the new Solaris Tires from T.O.P. USA. Nearly all the others were running Jaco's so Id say things are looking good for these new tires as well as the Photon.

The VTA class also saw a Photon on the Podium finishing in second.

Id like to mention that the durability off the Photon shined today for a couple of us. I got into lap trafic leaving me backwards in the center straight just in time to get nailed head on by another car at full rip. NOTHING BROKE! In a seperate incident I got a bit greedy and nailed a corner hard enough to bounce the car about 12-14 feet accross the track. NOTHING BROKE! I have about 120 packs through this car, and the only broken parts have been rear hubs. I have broken three of them but thats still not to shabby. One other Photon got absolutely raped in practice by a Nitro sedan at the end of the straight this incident stripped all of the electronics except the motor off this car but I beleive the only breakage was the bellcrank.

Once again,,, hella good car Josh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.