Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8X8 or 6X6 EMAXX

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile 8X8 or 6X6 EMAXX

I really want an emaxx. But not just any emaxx, i want the ultimate emaxx. Your donation of stuff and knowledge would greatly be appreciated. I plan for this one to be the ultimate basher: locked diffs, all wheel steering, maybe brushless, or the Kershaw design 900 brushed motors. Beggars cant be choosers. This is gonna have to be a group effort, because all ive got is a will to drive.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Go for it. Being different is a good way to get people interested in the hobby
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So you wanna make an AWD E-Maxx, eh? Might be able to help ya out...

Old 03-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I've seen a 6 wheeler in action on the track. Quite clumsy on the track, however it is quite comical as it resembles a caterpillar wiggling along.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

It does require some tweaking on the setup to get one to handle, mostly stiffening the front suspension and messing with the center & rear toe. Definitely not a race truck
Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

haha, i wouldnt race it. . i would just go crazy bashing it .
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

is was thinking that it would look like one of those 8X8 trial trucks, maybe add dually style wheels?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OTE - that truck is SICK!!!! I live in a city so don't get to bash... I only really race, but man that is insane!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beastlyB44
is was thinking that it would look like one of those 8X8 trial trucks, maybe add dually style wheels?
I've seen pictures of one or two R/C "Tatras" based off of E-Maxx chassis, but they looked kinda cobbled together...would rock to see one that was really well done. Duallies, I know Maximizer Products makes dually adapters for Maxx wheels as long as the inside wheel is a beadlock, but that's gonna be a LOT of weight to get moving. The drivelines on Maxxes are pretty tough but I do get problems with center differential wear, and after twisting God knows how many transmission-to-center driveshafts I finally went with an MIP CVD.

Originally Posted by soccerlaw
OTE - that truck is SICK!!!! I live in a city so don't get to bash... I only really race, but man that is insane!
Thanks, it's a ball to drive and gets me tons of questions whenever I pull it out.

Without going into the full list, I'll give out the cliffnotes:

*6x6 Conversion from Hilltop R/C of Nashua, NH. Not sure if this place is still in business, I haven't been able to find their site for quite some time. I will say that this 6x6 kit is a lot simpler than a Gallimods E-MAX6X6; it consists of a 4mm aluminum lower skidplate, a 1-piece welded aluminum subframe that attaches to the center axle's bumper mounts and the rear axle's chassis mounts, and of course the key to a 6x6, the center differential case.

*Front brush guard is a combination of Traxxas aluminum bumper tubes (which you'll notice are now bent ) and a New Era Models front guard.

*Maximizer RageRing-equipped beadlocks on all 6 corners, holding firmly onto IMEX Claw Dawg tires. Makes the coolest noise sliding around on outdoor concrete, sounds like somebody's drifting a semi truck.

*Powertrain is a pair of 2nd-gen Traxxas Titan 23T 550 motors wired to a Novak Super Duty XR ESC, powered by a pair of TrakPower 4900mAh 2S1P LiPo packs

*Body comes from two Pro-Line 2004 Chevy Silverado's grafted together. The 6x6 kit recommended I use an R/C truck puller body by Parma but after seeing a picture of this narrow little light pickup with a big dumb engine sticking out of the hood, I went with the "road less traveled". Recently I discovered a crack in the right front fender...now I'm pissed.

*The prerunner rack/light bar was custom fabricated by RcBros.com. The guy that runs that site has a thing for scaler crawlers, and this rack was originally going to go on a Nissan Titan he was building. After mounting it up it looked a little gaudy, made the truck look REALLY top-heavy. He eventually decided to toss it and build another one, but I convinced him to pull it out of the scrapheap for me and after a PayPal transaction and a few days in the mail, now it sits on top of the Silverado Slammer. Not only do the lights work (there's a 9v stuck to the back window), but they WORK; in pitch black there's a good 3' long patch of "night into day" right in front of the truck and it'll simulate moonlight past about 40'.

OK enough of my bragging, back on topic
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

the powerplant i want to use is two mamba max systems. with 6 3 cell lipos. crazy awesome
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

That's probably going to split the trans in half

First time I ran LiPo in this truck was at the R/C Corral, a secret backyard track. The first thing out of my mouth when I came off the driver's stand was "Who needs brushless?!?"

Between the SD-XR speedo, the 2nd gen Titans, and the LiPos, my truck has more than enough power and speed.

I thought it was really cool when I found out if I took it up to WOT in 2nd gear then shifted back into 1st and slammed on the brakes, the whole rear axle would lift up about 2 inches off the ground and the center axle would start to wheelhop. Then I took 6 teeth off the 1st gearset idler
Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im pretty sure they make a wheel kit so that you can have dually wheels... its just another hex and a longer shaft
Old 03-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check this out: http://www.dailymotion.com/search/hp...s28-trial_auto
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Damo_MadTruck
the savage seems like a way easier project. its jus customizing a differential and making custom TVPs. and thats it!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

hey OTE, have you ever done any pulling with that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.