Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need more run time on Losi buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need more run time on Losi buggy

Went to Revelation today to test my new electric set-up.

Losi Buggy with losi conversion
MM 2200 kv motor esc combo

Ran 11 minutes on a 4S 5000 zippy pack 14-tooth pinion
Ran 13:30 minutes on 5s 5000 zippy pack 16-tooth pinion

I hear of guys getting 15-20 min and I'm wondering how?
Do I need a lower KV motor?
If so what do you suggest with price in mind?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A 15 tooth pinion is good for 60mph. You don't need that much speed on any but the largest outdoor tracks. Drop to a 12 tooth or so and you'll get great run time. I have you same setup and almost completed a twenty minute main. I didn't dump, I broke over a 32 foot jump. My rear drive shaft popped out...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by richard.bratton
A 15 tooth pinion is good for 60mph. You don't need that much speed on any but the largest outdoor tracks. Drop to a 12 tooth or so and you'll get great run time. I have you same setup and almost completed a twenty minute main. I didn't dump, I broke over a 32 foot jump. My rear drive shaft popped out...
where are u finding the gear/speed chart? im having the same issues with an rc8e. thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jube
where are u finding the gear/speed chart? im having the same issues with an rc8e. thanks
A friend of mine with the same setup as you and I tested his speed with a radar gun. He was running 4s, 2200KV, 15 tooth pinion, on a Losi 8-E...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jube
I guess I didn't answer your question... The RC8-E has lower gearing in the final drives. You'll have to do the math, but you should be able to get the same overall ratio as with a 12 tooth in a Losi 8. You'll need a bigger pinion with the RC8-E to achieve the same result. I have a friend with an RC8-E; it's on rails. If I had it to do over again, I'd go that route...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by richard.bratton
I guess I didn't answer your question... The RC8-E has lower gearing in the final drives. You'll have to do the math, but you should be able to get the same overall ratio as with a 12 tooth in a Losi 8. You'll need a bigger pinion with the RC8-E to achieve the same result. I have a friend with an RC8-E; it's on rails. If I had it to do over again, I'd go that route...
whats the gear ratio in the Losi that way I can figure fdr. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Are you running 4s or 5S packs. i am using the 45 tooth spur...you too???
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know the power is great but you have to remember your driving an electric. If you pin it every time you leave a turn your dead shorting that battery and overheating the motor. If you relaxe and drive it like an electric, smooth throttle barely getting full throttle, carry momentum, then you will notice the extremely long runtimes of the lipos. I had the same problem when i put a 6.5 and a 4900 lipo in my xxx t cr. the power is addictive but i was barely getting 8 minutes. After i slowed down and drove it like an electric i was getting 12 -15 minute run times. Hope this helps, and by no way was i dogging any body.