Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
stalls when I brake >

stalls when I brake

stalls when I brake

Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default stalls when I brake

I'm new to the rc thing and picked up a savage xl didnt like the radio so I bought a futaba 3pm installed it and when I brake it stalls any pinters on setup? thanks Todd
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you need to set your epa's correctly. When the car is not running try to set your brak epa to about 2 mm open when full brak is applied.

EPA mean end point adjustment.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Check your idel adjustments, it might be closed to much.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If none of that works pull off your clutchbell and check to see if the clutch is sticking or for a broken spring.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

sounds like your slip collar on your throttle linkage is whats keeping your engine idling. When you hit the brake, it closes the throttle all the way, and shuts off. Make sure that there is a little bit of clearance between the slip collar, and the linkage where it connects to the servo. If you have a small gap there, you will be using the idle screw as was intended to be used, and your engine should not cut out.

If this is the problem, you will most likely have to turn up the idle screw now that you are actually using it.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

1st things first , how much fuel has been run through the engine, don't chase a tune until you have put at least a 1ltr of fuel through the engine...while running in your engine stay off the brake , dont worry you will be happy
Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

First off, your Idle screw is not set right. start your engine, and with your hand push the throttle linkage so the carb is shut and your breaks are applied. if it dies, then its the idle screw. turn the idle screw until you can see a 1mm gap in your carburator when the air filter is off. Start the engine again, and with your hand push the throttle linkage so the carb is shut and your breaks are applied. if it dies again, increase the idle screw slightly. you may have to back off the low end needle, because your idle might be quicker than you want.

Then adjust your endpoints correctly!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Always set your EPA on the radio FIRST. Then check the idle gap. If they are both set correctly, you'll need to make sure the carb needle settings are correct. After that, look at the clutch for worn or broken springs.