Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have fun you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess that the subtlety of my sarcasim obfuscated my joke.

The bodies are a class rule live with it. If you want to change the rules at your track/club fine do so. It really doesn't matter to me anymore since the class is dead here and not due to the body choices. 1/12 scale and TC are slowly going the same way only USGT, VTA and now F1 are showing signs of life. (VTA is almost all Camaros even if there are more choices and F1 has very limited bodies so that lack of body choices isn't killing those classes).

BTW I have an excellent Associated RC10R5 with an Aston Martin DB9 body for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

The F1's died here several years ago after a brief 2nd time around. VTA is fun for a second class to run. WGT is my favorite class. I've been promoting this before the new name came about. Orginally called Narrow pan cars we ran GTP bodies. Switched to a Protoform Chrysler 300. Then to GTcars- ran an Opel-Mercedes DTM. When it died until a company in Flordia came up with GT bodies .The ecomony went in the tank and the body choices are few(now). But they gave ALWAYS been that way since I started racing. If you want to be competitive or think you are you get the body that WORKS!
Us older drivers - the TOJ in 1/12th scale for years and then the TOJ in 1/10th.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by AreCee
I guess that the subtlety of my sarcasim obfuscated my joke.

The bodies are a class rule live with it. If you want to change the rules at your track/club fine do so. It really doesn't matter to me anymore since the class is dead here and not due to the body choices. 1/12 scale and TC are slowly going the same way only USGT, VTA and now F1 are showing signs of life. (VTA is almost all Camaros even if there are more choices and F1 has very limited bodies so that lack of body choices isn't killing those classes).

BTW I have an excellent Associated RC10R5 with an Aston Martin DB9 body for sale if anyone is interested.
Naw dont think im going to live it that's why I'm working on getting a class going and why I was having discussion on this forum Sucks that everything is dying in your area and by the way your joke was perfectly understood my response might have been a little to deep For you i guess
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

GT10 died at my local because of the BRCA insisting we had to go 1s.
When it was 4cell 10.5 and 2s 17.5, no one could tell who was running what as the performance was almost identical, but 1s 10.5 was at least a lap slower (15 in 300.00) and no equivilancy could be found for those wanting to remain 2s, well not unless you made 1s 10.5 and 2s 17.5 zero boost.
GT12 has found 1s 13.5 and 2s 21.5 to be close, but again zero boost.

Think Canada has it right with the shells, No PF, and a restricted listing on HPI and Tamiya shells (to take away those that do work better than others).
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think that if anyone wanted to start a GT series itd have to be outside of ROAR sanction and seeing as everybody that runs WGT runs a PF body, I wonder how much success itd have on a small scale, much less a large one
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

WGT was started outside of ROAR
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think that if anyone wanted to start a GT series itd have to be outside of ROAR sanction and seeing as everybody that runs WGT runs a PF body, I wonder how much success itd have on a small scale, much less a large one
WorldGT was nothing to do with ROAR, it was created here on RCTech
http://rctech.net/forum/electric-roa...t10-class.html
and got it's first big debut at the IIC. That was successful enough for ROAR and other sanctioning bodies around the world to adopt the rules.

The body problem is once you have a set of rules defining what is allowed then there is nothing stopping Protoform or anyone else making a performance oriented bodyshell that fits within the rules and a sanctioning body can't ban it. Of course there's nothing to stop any club or race director deciding which bodies he will allow at his own club.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

I think about the only way that you could have more variety of bodies for any race series for GT would be to actually do like they do in Canada and write a very specific list of bodies and not include any Protoform bodies on it
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Even then you run into the issue of what looks realistic enough to make the list. That is something that is subjective and one group of organizers may not agree with another. A prime example is the Parma DB9. While myself and several others thought the body looked good enough to be "realistic"...there was quite an uproar on RC Tech by many who thought it was just another "performance" body.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

ROAR's original body rules specified "Scale Appearing" and a set of photos of a specific prototype had to be submitted with the body. Maybe if scale was emphasized over performance in the rules we would have cooler bodies. Certainly the Sophia could not really be considered scale?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Ive often suggested that not only should they be sale appearing, but represent a car that has actually raced in a GT class event. By those rules, the Sophia would not be allowed (much to the chagrin of a large percentage of racers in the WGT class). Maybe then youd see bodies like the Audi R8 LMS or even the return of the Corvette or the Porsche 911 (iconic GT racecar) among others
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Wink

I believe PF got the Sophia close, a lot closer to a real car than any of their TC's

However, I do think the main issue with this particular choice, is that it's not a Real GT Race car

I like the idea of front engine, 2 door, GT Race cars for this class
Would like to see more options available in the USA

Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I believe PF got the Sophia close, a lot closer to a real car than any of their TC's

However, I do think the main issue with this particular choice, is that it's not a Real GT Race car

I like the idea of front engine, 2 door, GT Race cars for this class
Would like to see more options available in the USA

I too believe that PF did a very good job on the Sophia,its bloody close to the real car.
The Parma DB9 is miles off in the frontend,that droopy snout just ruins it IMO.
Pity,I would like to have done a shell based on the DB9 race cars used in yor US GT series.

Yor Sophia looks great RBF Great effort

I think the cars look a lot better when they are stickered up and sponsored just like a real race car.Maybe that should be in the rules,no single colour unsponsored or flouro TC,Offroad paint jobs.

Here is my first pancar,a Serpent S100LT WGT.Just finished this week.

I found a Exceed Audi A5 shell at the shop (part no : 104028),so I grabbed it with this car in mind.It also helped that the Exceed doesnt look like a blob,and is pretty close to the real car,except the square box guards,and the bumpers dont have the louvres,vane's
I added Team Magic drift car body set ( 503317)for the wing,mirrors and windscreen wiper.

Here is my interpretation of the above...Forgive the shoddy attempt at a photobox and the phone camera And also the shoddy window surrounds,I have Parma pinstripe coming to rectify that.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Thing with American RCers is they are about performance and companies like Protoform cater to that desire to be the fastest. Of the GT challengers out there (besides the ones Ive listed already) Id love to see:

Chevrolet Camaro GT
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Nissan GTR
Mercedes Benz SLS GT3
BMW Z4 GT3 or Alpina B6
Lamborghini Gallardo or Murcielago (reissue)
Ferrari 458

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.