World GT Body Debate Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

A few months back I thought I'd join the others in using a Mulsanne shell, thinking it would give loads of downforce. But to my shock and horror the car (which was set up to run the PF Corvette) simply refused to turn corners at all speeds, in fact the faster you went the less steering you had, I even went up to a full 100% lock which only caused the car to hook out of corners.
The shell was ripped up and binned after 2 miserble meetings and I went back to the faithful (but now discontinued) PF Corvette.
The HPI Corvette it also pants as in it has no rear end grip.
The best cars to use the Mulsanne on are front endy cars like the Tamiya F103, proper cars like my CRC and others RC10R5 prefer the PF Corvette.
(this is outdoors running 2s 17.5 on highish grip surface with additive allowed)

Unfortunately the class has gone to rest at my club as typical British weather and British BRCA rules of 1s only has forced drivers back to TC, even I have had to go back to TC so I can race.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

so your thinking was right, the body has more downforce..........at the back

With a setup change that can be adjusted. Some driver over here drove it on his 200mm car and it went quite good on large 1/8 circuits. Speeds on the straight of over 58 miles per houre on some of the circuits with a 10.5t on 2s. He did drive a RC10L3(team factory) so no idea if you would consider that has a front endy cars.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 12-31-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NiMo
A few months back I thought I'd join the others in using a Mulsanne shell, thinking it would give loads of downforce. But to my shock and horror the car (which was set up to run the PF Corvette) simply refused to turn corners at all speeds, in fact the faster you went the less steering you had, I even went up to a full 100% lock which only caused the car to hook out of corners.
The shell was ripped up and binned after 2 miserble meetings and I went back to the faithful (but now discontinued) PF Corvette.
The HPI Corvette it also pants as in it has no rear end grip.
The best cars to use the Mulsanne on are front endy cars like the Tamiya F103, proper cars like my CRC and others RC10R5 prefer the PF Corvette.
(this is outdoors running 2s 17.5 on highish grip surface with additive allowed)

Unfortunately the class has gone to rest at my club as typical British weather and British BRCA rules of 1s only has forced drivers back to TC, even I have had to go back to TC so I can race.
I assume you ran the Mulsanne with the stock rear wing? If so, halving the wing height would have restored your front end. Also, since the car was run with too much weight over the front wheels (2S configuration) there was not enough weight transfer to make the front end steer. Pan cars are rear-biased for weight (and hence 1S) for a reason...

The Mulsanne body on 1S/10.5 is a peach, and with 3.5 is a bullet!!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
I assume you ran the Mulsanne with the stock rear wing? If so, halving the wing height would have restored your front end. Also, since the car was run with too much weight over the front wheels (2S configuration) there was not enough weight transfer to make the front end steer. Pan cars are rear-biased for weight (and hence 1S) for a reason...

The Mulsanne body on 1S/10.5 is a peach, and with 3.5 is a bullet!!
I shifted the weight to the rear and all it done was spin out into and exiting all corners, making the weight 60/40 to the rear made the car well balanced.
Car to this day still holds the track record for the class with a PF Corvette shell on, so I would have to disagree with what you say.

Even placed RX and PT over front axle for better balance.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's some fuel for the "debate".

At our track's wgt race yesterday a DB-9 won, with a Mustang Saleen in 2nd, a Sophia in 3rd, Viper in 4th and a DB-9 5th.

No advantage to any body style.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee

At our track's wgt race yesterday a DB-9 won, with a Mustang Saleen in 2nd, a Sophia in 3rd, Viper in 4th and a DB-9 5th.

Amazing how one can completely ignore the driver factor...to try to fuel a lame debate.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Amazing how one can completely ignore the driver factor...to try to fuel a lame debate.
I think that actually was his point, even if he didnt explicitly say it...you have four completely different bodies in the hands of five different drivers in the top 5 yesterday. So in the hands of a competent driver anything can be competitive even if it isnt "popular"
Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think that actually was his point, even if he didnt explicitly say it...you have four completely different bodies in the hands of five different drivers in the top 5 yesterday. So in the hands of a competent driver anything can be competitive even if it isnt "popular"
Thank you for understanding the nuance of my post.

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Last season I ran the Corvette body and it was always in the top 5, oh and the driver had a little to do with it. This year I'm using the DB-9 and haven't noticed any gain in performance.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AreCee

That post makes no sense whatsoever! You would have to use the same chassis, with the same driver in the same track conditions with the differant b'shells and see what lap times are done to check the b'shell performance, would n't you??
Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingman2
That post makes no sense whatsoever! You would have to use the same chassis, with the same driver in the same track conditions with the differant b'shells and see what lap times are done to check the b'shell performance, would n't you??
OK, one was an AE 10R5 (won), all the rest were CRC gen-XL. What does this mean, nothing! All it means is that the Mustang Saleen body was able to perform well.

What's your point? This was a discussion of bodies and why some people are crying that it's too limiting both for asthetics and performance.

This is a fun class, if you want to measure everything down to .001 seconds then go to 1/12th or TC but leave this class alone.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Racers are Racers.
Some will push everything to the extent of the rules, some will go beyond.

No class is immune, even at club races

But a great driver can make up for a lot of bling parts.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

This this would have potential if it was turned into an RC body:

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
This this would have potential if it was turned into an RC body:

Like this one.

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/raci...rari%20599.JPG
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BCbud
I know about that one...thats the 599 though...my pic shows the 458 Italia which I think will be the replacement for the F430 that has been run all over the world for some time
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i wish the bodies were the GT style(colt,cross,blade bodies)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.