Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Body Debate Thread >

World GT Body Debate Thread

World GT Body Debate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Unfortunately, this 3rd group will not be attracted to the pan car chassis that WorldGT is based on. The pan car is based on the simplicity and speed. I just don't understand why the founders of WorldGT limit the speed by choosing the dead-end NiMh 4 cell, yet speed up the cars with wedge bodies. It seems that 2 sides of the brain are fighting each other.

• The NiMh batteries is currently killing this class from racers that I talk to.
  • The chassis and unrealistic bodies (new ones that came out) is killing this class from Hobbyist that I talk to.
+4

I tossed the idea to Mimi and Doug about changing this rule to have a 17.5 LiPo 200mm Pan Car. This should attract a couple more people at The Track to join the class. I know two guys that are thinking of switching over to the 200mm Pan Car class if the LiPo + 17.5 amendment is accepted.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HarryN
Actually, when I first started the hobby way back 6 years ago, I was drawn to the realistic bodies. My first car was an HPI RS4 Racer 2. I ran a Dodge Stratus (pre-warping).
Which reinforces my point...the Stratus is a very recognizable body by just about anyone. But other full sized race cars are not.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would like to put my hat in the ring, I put my self in the racer group but I like my cars to have the look of what ever I am racing. So a WGT car should look like and be painted like a WGT car. A oval car should look like a oval car and be painted like oval car. I dislike most of the paint I see at any onroad track. My quess is most people that race have some type of computer and can find pictures of the class of car they are racing so why can't they paint them to look like that???...
I am running a Corvette body on my WGT car because it looks like a WGT car and is painted to look like a WGT car...

Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know I created this to be abody debate discussion (and Id like to keep it that way) but I will say there is some credence Id think to the LiPo issue. I know that there are people who would rather run this class with LiPo but I think that there ought to be a place for 13.5/4 cell as that is what the class was founded on.

GT1: 13.5/4 cell, Sophia, DB-9, Zonda, Ferrari 599 and other supercars

GT2: 17.5/LiPo, Corvette C6 and bodies of that ilk.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I think this class was started so that there is a cheaper alternative to Touring sedan...... The dimensions of the chasis it self and tires makes it difficult to have a scale looking body add racing to the mix and body manuf will tend to go with function vs scale....

If you really want to race a realistic class, there are new classes that are getting popular such as RCGT, VTA, and the mini class....

It is a cheaper alternative for sure.

The '08 IIC was no different than RCGT or VTA. The organizer stated which bodies were legal, and that is what the racers used. Just because different bodies come out that are not as realistic as what was first allowed doesn't mean that they should be allowed to race.

The '09 IIC could use the exact same rules as '08 (I would raise the roof minimum though) and the racing would be no worse. In fact, the World GT A-main was one of the most exciting races of the year. Better handling bodies would have changed nothing.

I don't see why there is so much resistance to racing with realistic bodies that look like replicas of the real thing anyway? Who cares if the wheels are out of scale? Just because one thing is doesn't mean scale looks should be thrown out the window all together.

Hopefully Scotty will bring the same exciting racing and vehicle recognition back to Vegas by making no changes to the 2008 body rules.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

These bodies are already legal. There's a body on there that isn't even produced yet that is legal.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
These bodies are already legal. There's a body on there that isn't even produced yet that is legal.
Jon, I think maybe (not sure) Rick was referring to IIC rules and you are referring to ROAR rules?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Jon, I think maybe (not sure) Rick was referring to IIC rules and you are referring to ROAR rules?
I was refering to the WGT rules, which were the rules the IIC was using, I thought.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IIC only has 8 bodies listed.

9) Approved World GT Body List for IIC 2008
1) Protoform Chevy Corvette C6 #1499
2) Protoform AR8C #1502
3) Protoform MGTS #1503
4) HPI Toyota Supra GT #7486
5) HPI Dodge Viper GTS-R #7473
6) HPI Mazda RX8 #7488
7) HPI Saleen Mustang #7428
8) HPI Nissan R34 GT-R #7427
Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
IIC only has 8 bodies listed.

9) Approved World GT Body List for IIC 2008
1) Protoform Chevy Corvette C6 #1499
2) Protoform AR8C #1502
3) Protoform MGTS #1503
4) HPI Toyota Supra GT #7486
5) HPI Dodge Viper GTS-R #7473
6) HPI Mazda RX8 #7488
7) HPI Saleen Mustang #7428
8) HPI Nissan R34 GT-R #7427
This is correct. #2 and #3 were approved sight unseen.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This is correct. #2 and #3 were approved sight unseen.
I'm in the process of destroying a #1 slowly. They do hold up well to my awful driving skills. There are also a couple of unapproved Mulsannes at our track. They handle well. I think I need to step on them.

On the other thread for the DB9, I posted after reading Dale's input. I wonder if they made true scale wheels and tires to go with true scale bodies if that would solve the problem or only make it worse. I appreciate they make bodies for us at all. I'll stick to the approved list as no body is going to make me come in first until I learn to drive much more consistently.

Time for practice!

John
Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'm in the process of destroying a #1 slowly. They do hold up well to my awful driving skills. There are also a couple of unapproved Mulsannes at our track. They handle well. I think I need to step on them.

On the other thread for the DB9, I posted after reading Dale's input. I wonder if they made true scale wheels and tires to go with true scale bodies if that would solve the problem or only make it worse. I appreciate they make bodies for us at all. I'll stick to the approved list as no body is going to make me come in first until I learn to drive much more consistently.

Time for practice!

John
That might help...but then you would still have issues with width and wheelbase.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I did comment on bodies....

In what racing class do we use real car bodies? dodge hasn't made a stratus that looks like the body since 1999....

1/8 onroad they use wedge, no current full size .....

this seems like a concours(sp?) vs racing debate

an unreal body doesn't increase the cost of racing, and we are RACING these cars , right?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
That might help...but then you would still have issues with width and wheelbase.
+1

But I would be fine with that part since we can blame it on setups (as in the racer's worry to figure out). I just don't want this class to be "blob" or "wedge" only.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had this in the other thread, but I suppose it's more applicable here.

Originally Posted by KHoff7
How about a Mazda speed 6? I think you will be impressed. Just enforcing the point of what works on the track is what sells.
no thanks. it looks like a plastic blob. like I said before.. the car actually has to look like a car that's on the road today. otherwise, I don't buy it.

And besides.. wouldn't you want to run something that looks like this?

If I were to see the corvette and aston body put side by side and both were painted flat grey.. I actually might have a hard time telling which is which from a distance. Paint is 50% of the car's final look. it's being able to discern the shape from a distance that I would go 'oh hey i know that car!'

A final note: If 'speed and handling' are anything similar to racing foam on carpet, it might be okay if all you like to do is mash the throttle and turn the wheel like a spastic monkey. but to me, it feels like you're playing an arcade game. Pedal to the metal and that's it. gets old fast. I'd rather balance the throttle through the turns and get an edge by accelerating out under a competitor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.