Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash 5805 - Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Slash 5805 - Battery

Does anyone know if this RTR truck comes with a battery?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mikemurphy26
Does anyone know if this RTR truck comes with a battery?

Nope, the slash does not come with a main battery or the 8 AA batts that the radio takes.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Stallard, much appreciated. By chance do you know the type of battery I should consider purchasing if I run it without mods out of the box?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Stallard, much appreciated. By chance do you know the type of battery I should consider purchasing if I run it without mods out of the box?
6-7 cell...4200 7 cell is what i got in mine..runs good!!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Glad to help,

Runt has it correct but I will expand, If you plan on racing you will want to find out what your local tracks rules are. Most call for a 6 cell/7.2volt battery.

If you are just bashing I would recomend a 7 cell/8.4volt battery it will give you more power and speed. The truck moves pretty good with a 6 cell but for bashing you can never have enough speed

Batteries are rated for voltage (power) and capacity (runtime) so once you decide on 6 or 7 cell you will want to look at what deals you can find on packs. Most chargers are going to take 30-45min to charge a pack and you will need to let the packs cool to room temp (Let the motor cool also) before you recharge them so you will want to buy at least 2 packs.

Also all cells in the packs are not created equal, the 2400mah, 3300mah, 3800mah and 4200mah packs are some of the best.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think the RTR Version they are selling thru PepBoys comes with a Battery and Charger.

My local PepBoys was selling them for $235
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

This is great info, thanks. Although the main purpose of buying this is to have fun, I'd like the option of racing it as well. I'll likely pick up a couple of
4200mah packs.

I do have a secondary battery question though. Can Lipo's be run with this RTR truck or should I stick with the NiMH type of battery? (my charger does charge both types)

Thanks again for everyone's advise.

Originally Posted by Stallard
Glad to help,

Runt has it correct but I will expand, If you plan on racing you will want to find out what your local tracks rules are. Most call for a 6 cell/7.2volt battery.

If you are just bashing I would recomend a 7 cell/8.4volt battery it will give you more power and speed. The truck moves pretty good with a 6 cell but for bashing you can never have enough speed

Batteries are rated for voltage (power) and capacity (runtime) so once you decide on 6 or 7 cell you will want to look at what deals you can find on packs. Most chargers are going to take 30-45min to charge a pack and you will need to let the packs cool to room temp (Let the motor cool also) before you recharge them so you will want to buy at least 2 packs.

Also all cells in the packs are not created equal, the 2400mah, 3300mah, 3800mah and 4200mah packs are some of the best.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

2 cell lipo, but you need to make sure you don't run it to low, the esc does not have lipo cutoff.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for everone's help! I just purchased my Slash and can't wait to get it.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
2 cell lipo, but you need to make sure you don't run it to low, the esc does not have lipo cutoff.
get a 2 cell lipo battery and a lipo cut off from novak. 30+ min runtime and 20% more power.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboard094
get a 2 cell lipo battery and a lipo cut off from novak. 30+ min runtime and 20% more power.
If I stick with a 7-cell, 4600 (i think) and everything else is stock.....what would be my average run time for bashing???
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snowboard094
Now wouldn't he need a brushless motor for that ?? RTR slash comes with a brushed motor from my understanding It would be prefered to get a brushless motor with a 3S LiPo or LiFe (a123) Since NiMHd
batteries are very unreliable and also because of the fact that brushed motors require a lot more maintenance.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

^FAIL^

Don't listen to him. The Slash is great right out of the box, 6 or 7 cell NiMH or 2S LiPo. If you do decide to go LiPo be careful as others have said that the stock esc doesn't have a low voltage cutoff. Also from what I have heard the Novak Low Voltage Cutoff doesn't work with the Slash ESC. What you could do is get a stopwatch and a multimeter then time your run (and make sure to run the hell out of it) and check the voltage every few minutes and when the votage starts to get around 7.0 volts stop the stop watch. Remeber your gonna get a voltage drop when the motor draws current so 7.0 volts under no load should be safe. Then whenever you run the car set an alarm on your watch and when it goes off pull the car an put it on the charger. Play around with the truck how it is, if you get bored and can afford it then start modding it. Also NiMH batteries are not dangerous. Just stay away from the Venom stick packs, they tend to go south pretty quick. If I were you I would get one of these LiPo's. They are inexpensive and really good for the price.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Have never see explanation on why, but the Novak Smart Stop low voltage cutoff does not work with the stock Slash esc. You can run lipo with brushed motor - it doesn't matter thats its brushed motor, its all volts.

There are plenty running lipo with the stock brushed motor and monitoring the run time to avoid overdischarging their lipo. This is usually not a prob if you're racing it, but is more of a prob if you're bashing.

I converted my Slash to Sidewinder/5700 BL setup running a 2S 5000mah lipo and I see 20+ min run times bashing.

These guys are worth a look for NiMHs -

http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=4
Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have two Slashs and I went 4600 NiMh. IF had to do it over, wouldn't waste the money on NiMh and just gotten the Lipo with the built in cut off.

Someone can post the link, honestly don't remember it and can't find it.

Within 2 months, one cell vented while charging. I take care of my stuff, was only charging at 4.5 amps so now I need to buy a new cell and rebuild the pack. Also, you need to discharge the pack, let it cool recharge blah blah- too much work.

Lipo with cut off built in- run til it cuts off, throw it back on the charger- done. Balance charge every so often. One Lipo will out last that NiMh, so even though up front might cost a little more, in the long run cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.