Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2 prospec

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mugen MTX-2 prospec

Guys, I need a little help. I put together a mtx-2 prospec and every thing seems to be alright but the brakes, they are way to tight and the only way that I can loosen it up is when I loosen the bottom brace that holds the brake pad in place, that dosent seem right to me?

Next, everytime I brake the car spends around and rolls backwards, on the remote I even adjusted the brake to where its bearly braking and its still doing the same thing, do anyone know what im doing wrong?

Last, could a fail safe go bad and make the elec. in the car tweak out, at idle im not touching anything and the steering and the throttle are both moving
Old 11-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

on the old 2's you need to sand the pad down some after you mount it on the plate. it will do the trick. use 125 grit paper on a flat surface take about .010 off each pad. it will then take a few tanks to settle the pad into the brake disc. Also cut a short piece of fuel tubing or find a pen spring with some washers and install it on the brake linkage so when you brake the servo arm is compression the spring and not pushing directly on the brake rod nut. direct apply brakes is overkill.

last check the car to see if its tweeked. Did you eyeball the setup or use a setup gauge set. you need to get everything adjusted properly. if its tweeked it will never stop straight.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks dude, the brakes are fine now. I wll have to wait until saterday to see if the car still spends, to answer you question I had to eyeball the setup because I didn't have the money to get a setup kit, but I dont think thats making the car spin because as soon as I touch the brake even slightly the car does a 180 immediatly and roles backwards, but Im a newbee what do I know.

Do you think you might know why my electronics keep tweaking, at idle the steering and throttle servo's both move around and im not even touching anything?

thanks for the help so far
Old 11-21-2003, 01:38 AM
mav
Tech Adept

Hi,

I'm currently running 2 mtx2 here..... too attached to it to get the mtx3. Easy to handle and durable.

Another thing abt the brakes, the brake plates are directional, be sure to insert them on to that pulley/plate mount the right way. Car should be able to roll freely.

If you are using front one-way, be sure to set the brakes lightly or brake lightly else the rear will lock and car will spin out.

As for the electr tweaking, observe the following:

1. Does it happen when the engine starts? What about when engine stops? Check yr ant and rxx placements.

2. Is the rxx ant wire touching other metal parts or neatly layout?

3. Is yr rxx bty charged and good? My fren has this tweaking problem when the bty goes low but ok after getting new ones.

4. If u think its electr problem, then try to swap a new rxx or bty and test again.

Juz my 2 cents worth...... cheers!
Old 11-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks, I will check those things and ride on tomorrow, I will let you guys know how I made out.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by mav
Hi,

I'm currently running 2 mtx2 here..... too attached to it to get the mtx3. Easy to handle and durable.

Juz my 2 cents worth...... cheers!
Eh Mav,

Spotted you here. You're too fast now! So it is TIME! For you! To go MTX3!!

But with MTX3, that means I cannot catch you anymore!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default diff's

what's the advantage of using a one-way diff over regular diff's?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

this topoic is old but I still need a little help, i am usung a one way up front what wt diff oil should i be using in the rear? the car still spend to much esp at full throttle, im thinking the diff is off in the back, but i dont know how to adjust it , or mabe its the ride height, any suggestions
Old 08-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

100,000 diff oil from mugen would help.

Originally posted by rcjayy
this topoic is old but I still need a little help, i am usung a one way up front what wt diff oil should i be using in the rear? the car still spend to much esp at full throttle, im thinking the diff is off in the back, but i dont know how to adjust it , or mabe its the ride height, any suggestions
Old 08-12-2004, 11:50 PM
mav
Tech Adept

Default diff oil

For rear diff oil, it depends on yr track layout and traction.

oil wt bet 5k-10k works for me, in fact the stock setup for mtx2 is a very good baseline to start.... 30k i think. You should start from there.

Note that is yr front tire thickness is very much smaller than the rear, the car will have excessive steering and cause the car to rear spin out of a corner. Just ensure that front/back tyres are similar in thickness and use the 30mm width for the rear for better stability at cornerings.

Also make sure the rear diff is ok. Check the drive cup for excessive wear. Check that the diff can rotate smoothly and produce no gritty sound.

All i can say is that this car is easy to drive and has lots of steering if you follow the stock setup closely.... good luck.

mav