Wiki Posts
Search

OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Hello, I am getting alot of conflicting reports on the OS .12 TR and I just wanted to get an honset opinion on this engine. Is it best on small tracks or large does it hold up to Siro and Nova Rossi. thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's a really good, reliable engine. It has a ton of low end, making it good for short to medium tracks, and is easy as pie to tune. It does give up a bit on the top end to a Novarossi, Sirio, etc., but with good gearing and driving, you should be competitive
Old 11-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

I have a question. I have an OS12tr and mugen MT12 both are 3 port and are using normal glow plugs. Can I use the OS carb on the MT12 ? Is it a direct bolt or do I have to add something on something on the carb. Im asking this because a couple of pages back I saw in one forum that some guys are using OS12TR carb on their MT12 for easier tuning. And besides the springs on my MT12 carb needles are a liitle bit loose and needs replacements.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Originally posted by gijoe64
Hello, I am getting alot of conflicting reports on the OS .12 TR and I just wanted to get an honset opinion on this engine. Is it best on small tracks or large does it hold up to Siro and Nova Rossi. thanks.
I ran a .12tr all last season, and will likely run it again this season. Heres the scoop:

-You will give up something on top end. The .12tr puts out about .96-.98 hp, while engines from Sirio and Mugen put out 1.25-1.35hp. And thats the un-moded ones. But with good tuning, gearing, and most important good driving, you will compete.

I regularly finished second to our local hotshoe using a moded MR-12 engine. Aside from him, there was really no one else running with a clear speed advantage over me.

-Its not the fastest out there, but it is very reliable and easy, easy, easy to tune on.

If you want to keep the easy tuning and reliability of the .12tr, but have an extra boost of speed, try going with the .12tr turbo. That is if you local track allows it.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Originally posted by gijoe64
I have this engine on my r12 with a novamega tp-04 tuned pipe and the car runs exellent. I had to change the gear ratio because the car had too much power on the low end. My lap times at FTSPEEDWAY are faster than most of the mugen and serpents using mt-12 and sirios. The straight at FTSPEEDWAY is 280' and i have plenty of power. You wont be disappointed with this engine.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Originally posted by r12 schumacher
I have this engine on my r12 with a novamega tp-04 tuned pipe and the car runs exellent. I had to change the gear ratio because the car had too much power on the low end. My lap times at FTSPEEDWAY are faster than most of the mugen and serpents using mt-12 and sirios and beaten some of them too.The straight at FTSPEEDWAY is 280' and i have plenty of power. You wont be disappointed with this engine.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't get it. Yes, it's a reliable engine. Very easy to tune. But you won't be able to keep up with the novarossi or sirio motors. If you run on a very small and technical track - then I maybe would consider it. But on a medium or larger track - you'll get your arse handed back to you! Well yea, you can change the gearing and such and be faster - but that's assuming that other drivers dont' change their setup. It's all relative. For that price, you might as well get the sirio.

G
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Get the TR Turbo. Its just as easy to tune and has a lot more power than a regular TR.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Hey, do you guys know if theres anyway to turn a regular .12tr into a .12tr turbo? What parts would be neccesary and stuff like that?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'd say, for entry level racers that plan on racing rookie class or maybe sportsman class, os tr(p) would be a good engine to start with. If you want to be competitive in the expert level, it won't cut it. If price is not an issue then get a better engine. If price is an issue there are good alternatives such as STS D3 and Sirio engines. Again, the assumption is that you are going to race these in roar legal races which do not allow for turbo plugs.

G
Old 11-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by loosenut
I wouldn't get it. Yes, it's a reliable engine. Very easy to tune. But you won't be able to keep up with the novarossi or sirio motors. If you run on a very small and technical track - then I maybe would consider it. But on a medium or larger track - you'll get your arse handed back to you! Well yea, you can change the gearing and such and be faster - but that's assuming that other drivers dont' change their setup. It's all relative. For that price, you might as well get the sirio.

G
i have it and our track its very large and i have beaten other cars with mugen mt-12 . its a great engine. Its mainly car set up and driving skills not all horsepower.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Regional Moderator

My problem is that our local hotshoe has the driving, the set up, AND the horsepower! So, I'm not sure it would matter what engine I run!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Darkseid
My problem is that our local hotshoe has the driving, the set up, AND the horsepower! So, I'm not sure it would matter what engine I run!
I had real good results with this engine on my r-12, i think that this engine is very good , i had the sts3 , novamega ms 3 port, and a mugen mr-12 and i like this engine by far.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Darkseid
I had real good results with this engine on my r-12, i think that this engine is very good , i had the sts3 , novamega ms 3 port, and a mugen mr-12 and i like this engine by far.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by r12 schumacher
i have it and our track its very large and i have beaten other cars with mugen mt-12 . its a great engine. Its mainly car set up and driving skills not all horsepower.
There you go. Mainly car setup and driving skills....I'm sure you can give barry baker any engine and he'll be competitive with it. But barry baker with an os tr(p) VS. barry baker with say a Ns12 or sirio with teh SAME car setup...who will win? Get my point?

The original question is to find out if os tr(p) will hold up to nova based engines and sirio and the answer is no. Unless you a better driver and tuner by far from teh rest of the field.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.