Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry guys, I wish I had more info on the USA distributorship, Yokomo just has not responded to all my e-mails so that's all I can say is I tried very hard to communicate with them and they respond with they want to.

Billy
Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Elwyn, you might wanna ask MaxConcept to make a lighter Hardened Steel diff or machine it down a little more. Also, that aluminum diff I talked to you about would be nice! Wouldn't be too bad for Mod. But for Stock, I'm not sure how it'll be.

The diff is nice and smooth though. And everything fits perfect. No issues other than weight. I'll get to test it out tomorrow. The pink thing in the diff is a foam insert to keep dirt/dust out. Tape the hole up for diff adjustment, and you have a completely sealed diff. It's what we do with 416's.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

more pics please, i love your car!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

why u change your ball stud???

ronald n martin are doing very good in the ETS....

hope they can do well in the final.....
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Experimenting with the ball studs. I can go .1mm lower with them. Plus if I raise the diffs to high setting, my pins won't hit the bottom of the ball stud screw when using certain settings. I can also raise the ball stud over the caster block too. They do have slightly less play in them as well. But Yokomo ball studs are still very good. I just wanted to play with these this weekend.

Sorry, no other pictures of my car. It's not as very nicely laid out at Martins car. I like his setup. Blacked out wiring and all. Maybe if I took a black marker to my wires it would look nicer. I'll try and take a pic this weekend.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Looking at Volker's car from the ETS, looks like not only is the chassis different as stated, but it looks like he has new bulk head caps that make the camber links shorter. Wonder if that's gonna be a new option? That's another thing I didn't like about the Yok BD's vs. HB and Tamiya was the lack of camber link length adjustment.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Hey Elwyn, you might wanna ask MaxConcept to make a lighter Hardened Steel diff or machine it down a little more. Also, that aluminum diff I talked to you about would be nice! Wouldn't be too bad for Mod. But for Stock, I'm not sure how it'll be.

The diff is nice and smooth though. And everything fits perfect. No issues other than weight. I'll get to test it out tomorrow. The pink thing in the diff is a foam insert to keep dirt/dust out. Tape the hole up for diff adjustment, and you have a completely sealed diff. It's what we do with 416's.
JimmyMac,

Thank you for your review on the hardened steel diff outdrives for BD5, I have pass your comment to Maxconcept, the designer will look thru the weight matter.

Our Malaysia Yokomo drivers have use this hardened steel outdrives and hardened steel spool for BD5 from Maxceoncept for months and till now there is no sign of wear & tear on both diff outdrives and spool. After every few runs, they only put few small drops of bearing oil at the contact point between the dog bone and diff outdrives.

Hope there is more input from you in the future, so that Maxconcept can come more option parts for Yokomo BD5.

Cheers
Elwyn
Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Looking at Volker's car from the ETS, looks like not only is the chassis different as stated, but it looks like he has new bulk head caps that make the camber links shorter. Wonder if that's gonna be a new option? That's another thing I didn't like about the Yok BD's vs. HB and Tamiya was the lack of camber link length adjustment.
well the regular bulkhead caps are what is used by HB and Tamiya too, the new ones just offer another tuning possibility but I personally don't play around too much with upper camberlink length but just use standard length as it's in the right place for most of the tracks
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Martin Hofer
well the regular bulkhead caps are what is used by HB and Tamiya too, the new ones just offer another tuning possibility but I personally don't play around too much with upper camberlink length but just use standard length as it's in the right place for most of the tracks
I prefer shorter links on some of the tracks I race on. So that is why I am asking. I hope they do come out as optional parts. But overall the Yokomo has been doing decent, and I'm slowly learning the new car. Send me that narrow top deck! I need it! hehe Are the hardened arms out yet? I need those as well!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Elwyn Lee
JimmyMac,

Thank you for your review on the hardened steel diff outdrives for BD5, I have pass your comment to Maxconcept, the designer will look thru the weight matter.

Our Malaysia Yokomo drivers have use this hardened steel outdrives and hardened steel spool for BD5 from Maxceoncept for months and till now there is no sign of wear & tear on both diff outdrives and spool. After every few runs, they only put few small drops of bearing oil at the contact point between the dog bone and diff outdrives.

Hope there is more input from you in the future, so that Maxconcept can come more option parts for Yokomo BD5.

Cheers
Elwyn
No problem. I was surprised at how free the diff feels and it does not slip. I think I can loosen the diff screw even more, and the diff still will not slip. It is very good. I put some Tamiya AW grease on the pins/contact point on the diffs. But I think AW grease is too sticky and too much dirt sticks to it. I will clean it all off and just use bearing oil like your team does. I think it will be easier to maintain this way.

The diff weight might have slowed acceleration just a hair/barely noticable, but it has smoothed out the throttle a lot. This is with 17.5 Roar Stock. There might be a slight loss in steering as well. I think partly due to the extra weight in the rear of the car (rear is a little more planted). I need to switch to aluminum axles and dump off some weight.

Elwyn, do you have stock of new graphite/hard arms? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

No problem. I was surprised at how free the diff feels and it does not slip. I think I can loosen the diff screw even more, and the diff still will not slip. It is very good. I put some Tamiya AW grease on the pins/contact point on the diffs. But I think AW grease is too sticky and too much dirt sticks to it. I will clean it all off and just use bearing oil like your team does. I think it will be easier to maintain this way.

The diff weight might have slowed acceleration just a hair/barely noticable, but it has smoothed out the throttle a lot. This is with 17.5 Roar Stock. There might be a slight loss in steering as well. I think partly due to the extra weight in the rear of the car (rear is a little more planted). I need to switch to aluminum axles and dump off some weight.

Elwyn, do you have stock of new graphite/hard arms? Thanks.
jimmy, maybe u should use the front steel spool as well to balance out your car weight......
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kschu
jimmy, maybe u should use the front steel spool as well to balance out your car weight......
Well for the Nationals, I'll be using a oneway. So that's a good chunk of weight. But I do not want to put in too much rotating mass. It is 17.5 after all. Besides, steel spools chatter more and causes loss of steering.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Well for the Nationals, I'll be using a oneway. So that's a good chunk of weight. But I do not want to put in too much rotating mass. It is 17.5 after all. Besides, steel spools chatter more and causes loss of steering.
ohh.....will the new BD5 delrin spool better ???
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kschu
ohh.....will the new BD5 delrin spool better ???
Yes, it will be better. But obviously, it will break easier too. I've only broken one, but that was because I hit a corner dot and my car did cartwheels down the back straight. There are ways to make them stronger though. But I recommend the BD5 spool over steel spools for competitive racing. Just be sure to buy spare drive cups and sleeves or rings.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, it will be better. But obviously, it will break easier too. I've only broken one, but that was because I hit a corner dot and my car did cartwheels down the back straight. There are ways to make them stronger though. But I recommend the BD5 spool over steel spools for competitive racing. Just be sure to buy spare drive cups and sleeves or rings.
oohh...i think using the alum sleeve, it's might be better....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.