Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why not get s3 lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default why not get s3 lipo?

Besides the price. what are the drawbacks to getting 3cell packs instead of 2?

You get way more power, and the same amount of drive-time. Or is that wrong? Plus I could just set my radio to not give full throttle so that its equal to 2cell speed. then if I want the power, it their.

I race 1/10 scale. So I get that it could be considerd overkill. but besides that. why not?

do you have to use 2cell in official racing?

One last thing. I would like to pick up some TRUERC lipos. But i'm worried about the power output. Several people said they are good batteries. I dont deny that. but how do they compare to the MAXAMP?
I need to know because in my local tracks spec slash class. you can use any battery. (2cell lipo)(7cell nimh) I dont want to get a truerc battery if the maxamps are going to be faster. I would probably pick some high mAh ones for bashing. but is their a different racing speed?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ROAR, the major sanctioning body for RC racing, specifies that you can only use 2 cell lipo for all 1/10th scale racing. Most tracks loosely follow ROAR rules for vehicle weights, dimensions, batteries, motors, etc... If you are interested, you can look at the rules on www.roarracing.com

That being said, there is no reason to use 3 cell lipo in 1/10th scale applications. You can get plenty of speed out of 2; just check out the fast 4wd cars and you'll see some serious speed on 2 cells. Most racing speed controllers are only designed for 2 cell and I'm not sure if the slash speed control will handle 3 cells. Additionally, a 3 cell lipo will contain 50% more cells, wired in parallel, to equal the capacity of a 2 cell lipo. This adds weight and size; that may not matter much in Slash, but the added 'girth' will make a fitment challenge in most AE/Losi/Kyosho racing platforms.

If you are looking for a good battery for your slash, I would recommend a good hard case lipo from orion, Intellect, losi, or other well known manufacturers. Look for something in the 35C variety. Most all packs, 3200 included, will provide more than enough capacity to run well over 10 minutes. The lower capacity packs, 3200 and 3800, are lighter than packs of higher capacity and should be the hot setup in slash. Google RC Market and you'll find a good site to buy Intellect batteries.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Get an Orion or some other hard cased lipo instead of Maxamps. Maxcraps are just overall low quality cells.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Running 3s is actually a pretty good idea in some situations. With higher voltage, you need less amp draw to get the same power. Great example: I have a Tekin R1 (the regular one, not the pro). If I try to run a real fast motor with it, like their 448, it will thermal after a few minutes. With their 632 motor, it runs fine, but it isn't as fast. I could keep gearing it up, but this really starts to heat the motor. Instead, I went to 3s and geared down slightly. Now, the car has plenty of power and neither the controller nor the motor get excessively hot. Another point worth mentioning is when you get a 3s pack, look at total energy, not just mAh capacity. With higher voltage, you won't draw as many amps, so a 2400mAh 3s pack can give you the same run time as a 3200 2s pack. I'm using a 2150mAh pack from Rhino.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are buying the lipo for your Slash, it won't work with a 3 cell on the stock speed controller.

If you have a different drive in it, I don't think you need a 3 cell anyway. My buddy has a mamba max in his and normally runs a 2 cell lipo. He put the 3 cell in once and nearly destroyed his truck on the track due to the ridiculous speeds he was getting up to.