Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

just finished assembling the F201! it was actually an unplanned purchase, i was just buying crystals from our lhs when i saw the kit. i have to say this is one impressive car! the suspension looks awesome, just like the real thing! i havent run it yet because i still need an esc. i think ill just display it first, if i can wait that long. my only gripe is that it is very difficult to access the diff once you assemble the entire car. i found out the hard way - after i finished the kit, i forgot to install one diff bearing and i almost had to tear up the whole thing just get to the rear diff. but once assembled correctly, i dont think you have to maintain the diff too much bec of the sealed gearboxes. motor and spur gear access are also difficult - mainly bec of the sealed drivetrain. well, maybe tamiya will work out these minor inconveniences when they bring out the F202

a couple of questions - what tires (other than stock ones) will fit the rims? will the belted type a and b tires (for the F102) fit? also, will F102 bodyshells fit? the ferrari F201 looks a lot like the one from the previous kit. thanks for any info
Old 04-03-2002, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Waiting for my kit to arrive. I'll check if the Ride tires from my F103 will fit the F201. I think the existing F1 bodies will fit with no problems. I want to use my old bodes first before I use the F2001 that comes with the kit.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

I don't know if old bodies will fit, the wheel base is longer than the F103 and shorter than the F103L
Old 04-04-2002, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

any touring car tire will fit, since this is a touring car made to look like a f1 (which i think looks alot more scale then the f103 which is a pan car made to look like a formula 1 car, thus the tires wouldnt fit). i don think the older bodies will fit, however its worth a shot.

so if you want to save your stock tires (since i hear they wear quickly), then run some TC tires on it to see how it runs.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:56 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Marvi- Are they ball diffs or gear diffs that come with the car?? Looking at the casing it looks like ball diffs......Thks.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:23 AM
Regional Moderator

DTM: they are ball diffs that come with the car.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Hey Marvi: where do you live at? I'm just trying to get an idea of what places are already getting the kit.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

i think marvi's offline now... it's midnight here.... we got an initial shipment here in the philippines of six kits from the official distributor, plus one or two from not so official sources.... marvi got lucky and walked in the LHS at the right time... all gone now....

major shipment is end of month.... i think i'll wait.... some things just don't sound right.... non-adjustable gear ratio?!? and what's up with that shaft?

it looks real cool, though....
Old 04-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Oh, so Marvi is in the Phillippines. Okay.

What doesn't sound right? The non adjustable gear ratio sucks, but I doubt we will have to put up with that for long.

As for the shaft, I don't see why everyone is getting all bent out of shape over it. It cant be any thinner than the shaft that was originally included with the TA02 car, and that shaft never failed. Like I said, if your looking to run 9 turn motors, you might have to wait until someone comes out with a thicker shaft.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Darkseid,

A first shipment of the cars arrived in Singapore about 2 weeks ago. All 6 kits that I know of were snapped up within 24 hours. I understand the next shipment will only be arriving in Singapore in May.

If you get the chance, you should check out the latest RC World (Japanese Version - May Edition 2002). It has a write up about how to build the car right. It is all in Japanese, but the pics are great. They even display a F201 in Jaguar Livery. Really cool.

Old 04-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

the f201 has ball diffs with aluminum (i think) outdrives. they look similar to the TC3 and TB01 diffs.

the kit gear ratio is fixed - 55t spur and 20t pinion. i dont know what the internal ratio is. i think the only way to adjust gear ratio is getting a certain spur/pinion combo that will mesh with each other using the existing motor holes. we'll just have to wait and see for an adjustable motor mount, if there will be one.
the shaft looks similar to the 02 series. theyre actually 2 pcs (1 long for the front, 1 short for the rear) with the spur gear in the middle. the front shaft directly drives a bevel gear to rotate the front diff. but the rear shaft is offset to the rear diff. it drives a couple of aluminum countergears to reach the bevel gear that drives the rear diff (whew!) unlike the TB01 where the shaft directly drives the front and rear diffs.

jericsm: can i "borrow" (ill return it next year ) one of your old esc's? i want to run the car tomorrow when we race at pearl. and i dont have a radio yet, so ill "borrow" one. the car only accepts stick packs, so im gonna be "borrowing" those too ...

do you guys know any F201 websites (aside from tamiya)?
Old 04-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

i read from the other forum that the f201 handles great but the car is VERY SLOW. i think this maybe due to added weight of 4 shocks and 4wd drivetrain and also the fixed gear ratio.

just my thoughts
Old 04-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

PP3: that's what 8 turn motors are for ive also read somewhere that it understeers in stock form. and that the tires wear out the grooves fast. i hope i can find an esc by tomorrow (or take one out of my other rc's) so i can run it in pearl tom. its been 2 days and the thing hasnt run yet

one more thing, maybe there's a bit of drivetrain drag bec as i posted earlier, the rear shaft doesnt directly drive the rear diff, there are 2 countergears for that and more gears=more drag. the gears themselves are lightweight aluminum but the shafts look like steel. noel already assembled his and maybe running tomorrow. lets run him over with our touring cars see you at the track tom dont forget the P 400.00 that you owe me. that's P 40.00 + interest
Old 04-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

marvi...

didn't the manual say anything about the drive ratio? how many teeth are on the bevel gears that drive the diff on the front? how many teeth on the diff itself? i'm thinking that the gear ratio would be same for the front and the back....

wouldn't be able to attend tomorrow's race, would be out of town. going back on sunday to run in the tamiya cup though....

i have an esc, an m-sonik tempo.... it's a bit big, don't know if that chassis has enough space for it.... you can use it if you want.... can handle up to 10 turns.... send me SMS if you want to use it....

heard that some guys are going to use it on the Tamiya cup.... wonder how it will stack up to the f103s.... they're pretty fast as it is....
Old 04-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Regional Moderator

I doubt the car is VERY SLOW. Maybe if you compare it with a direct drive car. But, anyone with common sense knows that no 4wd car will have the speed of a direct drive car when their using the same motors. I seriously doubt you'll need a 9 turn motor to make the car fast. This car wont be any heavier than a TC, so a stock motor will get it moving at a really good pace.

I'm pretty sure that Tamiya will give these cars a seperate class in the TCS series. There would be no point to having them race with F101,2,and3 cars.

It will be interesting to see what compounds companies will come up with for the tires. Its looking apparent that will be need some kind of aftermarket tire if we plan on getting good traction and at the same time, keeping the grooves from wearing out.

Kiwikid: how dare they put the F201 in Jaguar livery! Why would they do that anyway, haven't they seen the Jaguar team this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.