Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Nitro car wont start

I cant get my car to start. It was working fine on the day I did the break in and about 5 days later when I went to use it again it wont go. I primed the engine and have even tried putting a couple of drops into the carborator but it still wont go Im pretty sure the engines not flooded and I know the glow plug works. Please help me
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silencedsteak
I cant get my car to start. It was working fine on the day I did the break in and about 5 days later when I went to use it again it wont go. I primed the engine and have even tried putting a couple of drops into the carborator but it still wont go Im pretty sure the engines not flooded and I know the glow plug works. Please help me
try applying some heat to the motor before starting, if it won't start with fuel in it, it may be to fat , lean it a hour and try again. Good luck
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry but im new to this How would I go about heating it and what do you mean by too fat and what do you mean by an hour does that mean turn the needle a full turn clockwise?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry but im new to this How would I go about heating it and what do you mean by too fat and what do you mean by an hour does that mean turn the needle a full turn clockwise?
I'm still up, give me a call

Brian
615 838 5373
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Are you using new fuel? And after you broke in the engine did you leave any fuel left inside the fuel tank and engine? If the fuel is old then that is your problem. Nitro engines won't start if your using old fuel. Check to make sure your glow plug is lit up good.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Try another glow plug anyways and make sure your glow starter is full charged. There's much to these engines, if you're sure you've got fuel, air is pretty much a given so the glow plug is the likely culprit.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

- Try heating the engine with a hairdryer or a heat gun.
- too fat means too rich
- there are 12 hours, so one hour is 1/12 turn. So not a full turn(!).

Oh, and another thing: when ya're trying to start the engine give a bit throttle, so it's easier to start.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you describe the needle turns in mins. in makes more since. Like 5 mins. or 10 mins. thats how the needle on the clock is, an hour would be one full turn. I know the industry uses hours, and i even call it hours, but really, 5 mins. is 1/12 of turn.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default Nitro car won't start

Here are a couple of things that may give you a hand.
The link below has some great info on engine tuning.
The chart I have posted should also give ya some clues.
Good Luck let us know how it goes.

http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm
Attached Thumbnails Nitro car wont start-nitrotuningchart-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Initiate

I have also noticed the engine isnt even firing. And how would I go about cleaning out the fuel tank and engine?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you using a alkaline cell glow driver or a rechargable unit? Alkaline cells do not flow enough current to really get the glow plug element hot enough to fire. A fresh cell will help but they don't work very long. A nicad or nimh cell flows much more current and will really light up your glow plug making starting much easier......

Why do you want to clean out your tank and engine????
Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default Starting

I have also noticed the engine isnt even firing. And how would I go about cleaning out the fuel tank and engine?
I agree first thing to check is the glow plug or just put a new one in to be sure.
Pull off the air filter and make sure the slide is about 1mm open.
Crank the car over and make sure fuel is going from the tank to the carb.
An eay way to check tank flow is simply pull the line from the carb and crank the car over does fuel come from the line that was attached to the carb if so tank not the problem.
If fuel did not come out with the way above try pulling the line from the pipe nipple, blow through it does fuel come out now.
If no fuel comes out either way there is a clog in the pipe nipple, fuel line or tank.
Have you checked your neddle settings if they are to lean this can cause a problem with flow.
You say you put fuel into carb and it would not start this can only mean one thing - no spark - double check that your igniter is fully charged or has a new battery, hold a glow plug to the igniter does it glow red.
Tell us what you find.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I also have a roto starter installed on my car. I don't actually have a battery for the thing thats meant to turn it over so I am using a battery drill could this be part of the problem? I have checked the glow plug and it seems to be working fine. I have ordered a new battery and glow plug so when I get these I will try again and hopefully I can get it to go. I will let you know.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Starting

HMMM well if the drill will turn it over at a decent rate that should work fine.
But in the mean time check the other things I mentioned - fuel flow, needle settings.
It is possible that the glow plug is bad and under compression the wire seperates when out of the motor the wire touches itself enough to glow.
Let us know.

\
----->
Mugen MRX4X
Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Just because the plug "seems" to be fine, doesnt mean its actually hot enough to light the fire. Change the plug, and try it again. Dont change anything else, because you said the car was fine a few days ago. Just change the plug, get a good battery in the glow plug igniter, and try again. Make sure the drill your using is turning the engine at a high rate of speed.

Most of time people think their turning these engines fast enough... and common store bought drills dont turn fast enough to start these engines. So make sure you cranking speed is fast enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.