Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Outdoor FREE Slash track in Seattle >

Outdoor FREE Slash track in Seattle

Outdoor FREE Slash track in Seattle

Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Outdoor FREE Slash track in Seattle - ***CLOSED***

I just got official word from Todd who spoke to the ownership. The track is now officially done and they will enforce trespassing. Apparently the expansion of the track to a second location, the proximity of it to the street and water heater company, the increased number of users, the driver's stand, and most significantly, a certified letter from the vet to the owners about dogs off leash on the lot and confrontations with staff and clients of the vet and their dogs, all contributed to owner concern and ultimately the fencing. The vet is an uptight guy and in an effort to make his case strong he apparently cited the one or more times (which I'm assuming happened well over a year ago) when someone used his hose and water without asking and left it a mess.

They know we have stuff in there an they're fine with us retrieving it but it will soon be locked up much more securely. I guess it's safe to say we pushed it just a little too far. There are no plans to develop the lot (as of yet) but we've now become a concern and a nuisance. Bummer.

The owners were very nice to let us use it as much as they did. Please respect their wishes by gathering an possessions and discontinuing the use of the track(s).

Thanks to everyone who put in time, sweat and skin to build a really fun community track. Let's find another location and get this thing resurrected!

It was fun while it lasted!
===================

Original Post:

Well Jeff, myself and a couple other buddies finally did it. Yesterday we descended upon an empty lot over by Interbay with shovels, rakes, wooden jumps, cinder blocks and lengths of corrugated pipe. We put about 5 hours of work into making a CORR truck replica track and I think we've done a pretty fantastic job. The area lent itself to a big banked sweeper, a small, moderately loose section, a smaller high bank hairpin into a jump, and quite a few other cool features. We covered the wooden jumps with dirt and made them track width. We used the cinder blocks as inside turn markers and laid the pipe in strategic spots. We're going to get more pipe and fine tune the next time we can devote some time to it. We're just hoping some kids don't roll by on bikes and smash the hell out of the jumps. Right now the track has six jumps including three doubles and a triple, a washboard section, and two banked turns including a big sweeper, nice elevation changes and a total of seven turns.

If you're interested in coming to run on the track we'd love to show you our work. Just reply and we'll PM you with an exact location. Pictures soon.

Last edited by t0adman; 07-20-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Owners restricted access to property
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by t0adman
Well Jeff, myself and a couple other buddies finally did it. Yesterday we descended upon an empty lot over by Interbay with shovels, rakes, wooden jumps, cinder blocks and lengths of corrugated pipe. We put about 5 hours of work into making a CORR truck replica track and I think we've done a pretty fantastic job. The area lent itself to a big banked sweeper, a small, moderately loose section, a smaller high bank hairpin into a jump, and quite a few other cool features. We covered the wooden jumps with dirt and made them track width. We used the cinder blocks as inside turn markers and laid the pipe in strategic spots. We're going to get more pipe and fine tune the next time we can devote some time to it. We're just hoping some kids don't roll by on bikes and smash the hell out of the jumps. Right now the track has six jumps including three doubles and a triple, a washboard section, and two banked turns including a big sweeper, nice elevation changes and a total of seven turns.

If you're interested in coming to run on the track and put in a minute or two of track work while your battery charges we'd love to show you our work. Just reply and we'll PM you with an exact local. Pictures soon.
We had a blast yesterday and I can't wait to get back out there. It also has an elevated drivers area that allows a great perspective of the track from above.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

We'll be at the track this afternoon to run a pack or two if anyone would like to come check it out. It's in the Interbay neighborhood of Seattle between west Queen Anne and Magnolia just off Dravus.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Pretty stoked to see pics!

Hmmm...Red Mill and Slash racing. Too good to be true!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love that you say "descended upon" rather than "arrived at"

Gives kind of a Indiana Jones feel to the proceedings. Kudos!

Now I am dying for some pics.

(Tomorrow morning I am gonna try descending upon the Starbucks)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great work, guys. The BMX bikes are inevitable, but if you can keep the nitro guys out of there, you can probably use the space for years.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would like to check it out !! PM me location !!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gwhiz
I love that you say "descended upon" rather than "arrived at"

Gives kind of a Indiana Jones feel to the proceedings. Kudos!

Now I am dying for some pics.

(Tomorrow morning I am gonna try descending upon the Starbucks)
"Swooped down upon with a menacing tone".

Now that's some track building attitude!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

It was scene straight out of Res Dogs - a group of four of us each equipped with a garden tool of some sort...dragging corrugated pipe behind us...cinder blocks piled up....orange spray paint in the hip holster. Seriously though, I had no idea we could get it to a point of being a fun, functional off road track so quickly. Granted, it needs some smoothing and fine tuning. There are some risk reward spots with virtually no middle ground, meaning you either get a good run and sail the jump to land smooth or you back way off. Anything in between and you pound. That won't take more than 5 min with a shovel and hard rake though. We're also determined to remove as much sand from the track as possible. It makes for great roost and very realistic CORR truck feel but the Titan motor, spur and pinion gears DO NOT like it. In just a day of running we've burned in a good groove and pushed a lot off the track. We were there yesterday but only for a quick run so we didn't take the time to put all the pipe back in place (we take it down so it attracts less attention). This weekend we'll put it all back down and add some more and take pics. If you'd like to just come check it out feel free.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That sounds fun. Might be enough reason to buy a slash.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

After work is tough considering the days still ending early. But that will change on a daily basis going forward. we plan to run thursday from about 5 to 6pm if anyone is interested in joining us.

We've mimicked the track after the actuall Chula Vista layout (some slight mods but pretty close).

TM, you need to get a Slash and come join us. We plan on joining you in the Hangar next week.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jerobert
After work is tough considering the days still ending early. But that will change on a daily basis going forward. we plan to run thursday from about 5 to 6pm if anyone is interested in joining us.

We've mimicked the track after the actuall Chula Vista layout (some slight mods but pretty close).

TM, you need to get a Slash and come join us. We plan on joining you in the Hangar next week.
I'll be in the hangar as well, looking forward to meeting some more Seattle area folks.

Any pics of your track yet?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Probably not until this weekend when we put all the corrugated pipe back down and do some more grooming. I can post a sketch of the layout though.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Talking

Nice job on the track guys...Very fun to drive. I really like the sweeping banked corner. Fun to try to hold it wide open through there and hit that very long double. I never made it but came close a few times.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

So far none of us have made that long double but your buggies are much faster than our Slashes. The second jump was the first one we built then we built the rest of the track. We were annoyed with the loss of traction in that sandy section right before the second jump so we made the first one to try and sail most of the sand. As you know, the track needs some more work. I'm picking up another 100' of 4" corrugated pipe this weekend and Jeff is getting some connectors to anchor it with. We'll be at the track this weekend with shovels, rakes and a wheelbarrow to touch things up. Hopefully we get a little rain between now and then. The track is getting kind of dusty and loose. Either way, glad you liked it. Can you guys make it out this weekend to run?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.