Wiki Posts
Search

mamba ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default mamba ?

okay new to brushless plan to run a mamba max with a5700 in my mf2.I'l be using 5000 mah lipos what gearing should I use.track is tight and twisty.also my two sons have a novak gtx and a tekin 411 can I use 7.4 lipos with these esc's they will be using brushed motors till I can upgrade them to brushless.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

castle does provide gearing suggestions. 5700 start out gearing it like a 10turn mod (but might want to fight notion to drop a couple teeth b/c its tight, the torque of BL might make it less driveable for u).

u can use lipos with the gtx and 411 series stuff, but if u want buy lipo cutoffs for ur kids just to be safe. if ur gonna be overseeing them running at all times, then make sure they are responsible in not runnin the trucks too long. ur call on that 1

R
Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default mamba

the lipo cut off's are great idea.Is there a difference in older mamba max esc's and the newer ones or is software up dated.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Remember that a mamba is a sensorless brushless system and won't be as smooth as a sensored system like a Novak, LRP or Tekin. If the track is tight and twisty, you will most definitely notice the cogging that will occur. I have owned two Mamba Max systems in the past, and when racing, the stuttering that will happen from time to time going around 180 deg turns, or if you spin out is extremely frustrating. If I may recommend a good powerful system for a MF2, get a 7.5 or 6.5 Novak Brushless motor and run it with any of the sensored speed controllers. A particularly powerful setup is a Novak 7.5 and a Tekin RS Pro.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geewiz
the lipo cut off's are great idea.Is there a difference in older mamba max esc's and the newer ones or is software up dated.
nope, there upgradable via PC usb cable (included)
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

I've got a mf2 I built from ground up.. and I recently put a mamba max 5700 system in it...

FLAWLESS, can't tell it's sensorless while driving.. great bang for the money if your local tracks will allow it.. You can get it for 175 shipped also which is a great perk..

my 5700 is faster then the 7700 anyways cause you can run a 3 cell lipo in it.

no problems of heating up.. normally run a 16t or 18t depending on the track with a 86 spur....No diff gear issues or anything either..

great for the money, plus you can tune it easily..

and I can hit 50 mph with it on the road .

btw I run a venom 5000 2s 20c, smc 5000 2s 28c, orion 3800 2s 30c

messing around on the track practicing I get about 20-35 mins outta the 5K
Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default mamba

tanks for all the great info I'm new to rctech it's agreat forum.I already purchsed two mamba systems and some lipos.can tune the cogging problems out.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tanks for all the great info I'm new to rctech it's agreat forum.I already purchsed two mamba systems and some lipos.can tune the cogging problems out.
I had a 4600 mamba in my b4 and it sucked at high speed tracks. No corner speed just all power. Now I can tell a big diffrance from my GTB and my mamba. If I where you I would try 78/16 all about your track too.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make sure you check filmware revsion on your ESC. They may not be the latest version. Download the latest version from the castle web site. The newer version greatly reduces and or elimantes clogging. I have (3) mamba max systems and they all work great.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the 4600 is a great system. somethin was wrong w/ur settings or firmware. radio setting perhaps. i usually trapped the highest straight speeds at the local track when i ran there 2yrs ago, and cant get that w/o corner spd. everything can be updated via castle software. great stuff and the guys there really take care of people with their gear.

i only just went sensored yesterday b/c of onroad stuff where its required by the rules. and honestly the SL does have issue with driving slower motors (ie stock, SS, and perhaps a couple really slow mod winds 16 and up if u will).

good luck

R
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have used two different Mamba systems, 5700 in truck and 6900 in 4wd, and neither system ever had any problems cogging. As long as all electrical connections(solder joints) are good, and batteries are capable, you will not have cogging problems. Both systems were used on tight indoor offroad clay tracks. You will have cogging problems trying to run a sensored motor on a Mamba esc though. Stick with the Castle motors and new software and you are good to go.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
You will have cogging problems trying to run a sensored motor on a Mamba esc though. Stick with the Castle motors and new software and you are good to go.
I run a Novak Velociti 5.5r motor on my Mamba and it runs perfect, sensored motors aren't a problem for it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you can run lipo with your sons gtx and tekin but there is no lipo cut off so be carfull, draining a lipo down to nothing will destroy the lipo pack. I would only run for a 7 min limit with the gtx and tekin
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

good info,

whats is throttle dead band? is arming time the time it takes the ESC to start?

thanks '
Ed