Wiki Posts
Search

Hard wiring batterys

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hard wiring batterys

Ive seen most of the fast drivers do this, currently i use corrally connectors, just wondering how much i would gain by switching.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

same here. I switched over already to hardwiring, and it's been good to me. I switched because i hated pullng apart tough connectors, so i just cut them off, and changed wire. I feel alittle more punch, alittle, very little, but it's there. I didn't change more power, i did it because of dislike of connectors, and the nicer look of everything.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would keep the corally connectors
Old 11-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Thats why i havnt allready switched its such a drag having to solder things all the time, especially as usually theres not a lot of time between races, when i go regional racing, (next sunday ) I would consider it if my packs werent all setup for corrallys.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

I used to use plugs and they were a pain in the butt so I switched to soldering. It's much easier in my opinion, less wire clutter and less resitance, though I didn't feel any difference at all when I switched to hard wiring. It's all personal preference.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Corally connectors are very good. I find it hard to believe that pro3racer could actually feel a difference. And if he did, the connectors must have been in a really bad shape.

The best reason for hardwiring is that the connectors can't be unplugged in a racing accident.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Airwide
Corally connectors are very good. I find it hard to believe that pro3racer could actually feel a difference. And if he did, the connectors must have been in a really bad shape.

The best reason for hardwiring is that the connectors can't be unplugged in a racing accident.
exacly
Old 11-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

i think that if you can crash hard enough to disconnect yor packou are doing somthing very wrong i have been racing for a long time and anything from mod to 540 and stupid stunts and i have never diconected a pack even in 1/12 when my pack flew out of the side of the car but it did not disconect and i did my last lap.

this is only my opinion so yeh corally or deans plug are the best way to go, corallys might have a slight margin on deans conectors
Old 11-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

i said the difference was very small, but it was there, i feel a little more punch on starts, just a little. I feel the same as fatdoggy, it makes life easier, nothing to hang anywhere, such as a big plug. I never had a battery come unconnected, when my battery falls out, it takes my esc with it, and then hangs on by the motor wires. One bad rollover/cartwheel/t-bone, made it do that. It is just a personnal preferance, and an on/off switch cures the hurry up part, because i have my batteries in my car with about 15 minutes to spare, on average.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with Airwide, all the numbers I've seen on the high quality connectors (Dean's, Corally, etc) show that the connectors do not add any measurable resistance to the battery/esc connection.

FWIW:
According to Dean's website "The Ultra Plug actually has less resistance, including the solder joints, than an equivalent length piece of 12 gauge wire"

Originally posted by Airwide

Old 11-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

how is that possible. With connectors, you have a total of 4 solder joints, and the metal in the connector, and without them, is 2 solder joints, no connector, but in it's place is about 1/2 inch of wire. Other wise it's all the same. So it doesn't equal, there is less resisitance in hard wireing, there is, there has to be with that infomation figuring. Plus, if solder bad, thats 4 bad solder joints, to 2, and after every race, you practice soldering them back on, so you'll get better, hehe.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by pro3racer
how is that possible. With connectors, you have a total of 4 solder joints, and the metal in the connector, and without them, is 2 solder joints, no connector, but in it's place is about 1/2 inch of wire. Other wise it's all the same. So it doesn't equal, there is less resisitance in hard wireing, there is, there has to be with that infomation figuring. Plus, if solder bad, thats 4 bad solder joints, to 2, and after every race, you practice soldering them back on, so you'll get better, hehe.
This is exactly right!

As long as You have solder with rosin it will be fine.

The rosin will clean the surface and give you a better conection.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Assuming the person soldering the connectors is skilled, the amount of resistance added from a solder joint should be minimal. Also, I beleive the point that deans is making is that their connector (which is made out of a rigid conductor) has less resistance than stranded wire (which is flexible).

Of course there's only one way to prove anything conclusively, does anyone have an extremely sensitive multimeter?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

i'll check my solder right now to see if rosin is in it, then we'll see if i'm gainin much, hehe
Old 11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

stupid me, i should have kept this in one message. , does 40 tin, 60 lead, rosin core sound good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.