Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could use a Hand.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Could use a Hand.. :)

Okay, so I'm for the most part, new to RC's. The only experience I ever had with them, was almost 10 years ago, when my dad and uncle used to build and race them. I didn't get too involved.

However, I've been looking for a new hobby to pick up on, and I came across these nifty RC's. So I contacted my father, and asked what it was he found the easiest to use, and many other things. Eventually, I had boiled it down to the RC10T3, and the Traxxas Rustler. I really want a stadium truck like this. But I don't want to get too technical.

So my main questions are; what are some good stadium trucks to start out with?, And if theres anything else I need to buy along with the actual RC, to get started.

I also noticed, while looking around websites regarding the Traxxas Rustler, that there was a "Traxxas Rustler VXL". What exactly is "VXL"? I also noticed them flaunting that it was "Brushless". I have no clue what this means either. D=

Help would be much appreicated!! ^_^
Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nollie
Okay, so I'm for the most part, new to RC's. The only experience I ever had with them, was almost 10 years ago, when my dad and uncle used to build and race them. I didn't get too involved.

However, I've been looking for a new hobby to pick up on, and I came across these nifty RC's. So I contacted my father, and asked what it was he found the easiest to use, and many other things. Eventually, I had boiled it down to the RC10T3, and the Traxxas Rustler. I really want a stadium truck like this. But I don't want to get too technical.

So my main questions are; what are some good stadium trucks to start out with?, And if theres anything else I need to buy along with the actual RC, to get started.

I also noticed, while looking around websites regarding the Traxxas Rustler, that there was a "Traxxas Rustler VXL". What exactly is "VXL"? I also noticed them flaunting that it was "Brushless". I have no clue what this means either. D=

Help would be much appreicated!! ^_^
Traxxas offers great products for beginners, but they typically dont stack up too well when racing them. If youre interested in a Rustler/Stadium truck, I would look into a Slash. Not only is it a great basher, but they have a class for them at nearly every track across the US.

The VXL/Brushless is the latest in R/C motor technology which requires low/no maintainence.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A very good stadium truck to start out with is Team Associated's T4. If you ever decide to race, you already have a very good platform to use. The Rustler is a good basher, but will not perform out on the track. You will probably purchase a ready to run, so you will need a charger(and power supply) and batteries. A nice charger is the Duratrax ICE. It can charge basically any type of battery. For a battery, you will want to purchase a Lipo (Lithium Polymer). They offer the best run time and best overall longevity compared to Nimh's. Look into Reedy or Checkpoint for a Lipo. It's a good hobby and I'm glad you decided to join!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies! ;D

And, to be honest, I don't think I want to actually get in to racing. Just something to mess around with in the neighborhood and in my back yard.

And dougyunker; I looked in to the T4, is that just 1 step above the T3?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

t4 is the newer model
Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NICK2765
t4 is the newer model
Oh, okay. So it's essentially the same thing, but better?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nollie
Oh, okay. So it's essentially the same thing, but better?
Essentially yes. But if you don't plan on doing any actual racing a Traxxas Rustler VXL would be your best bet. It is durable as hell, fast, and just a cool looking car in my opinion. Now I noticed you asked earlier about what "VXL" stood for. Well it stands for the Brushless system that comes along with the truck. Just like the Traxxas Rustler before it was called the XL-5 because it came with the XL-5 esc. But like I said earlier, look into the Traxxas Rustler VXL. It even comes with a brushless system which means it is virtually maintenance free, not to mention the runtimes are outstanding due to the increased efficiency.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dougyunker
A very good stadium truck to start out with is Team Associated's T4. If you ever decide to race, you already have a very good platform to use. The Rustler is a good basher, but will not perform out on the track. You will probably purchase a ready to run, so you will need a charger(and power supply) and batteries. A nice charger is the Duratrax ICE. It can charge basically any type of battery. For a battery, you will want to purchase a Lipo (Lithium Polymer). They offer the best run time and best overall longevity compared to Nimh's. Look into Reedy or Checkpoint for a Lipo. It's a good hobby and I'm glad you decided to join!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dougyunker
Okay, so I looked up these "RTR" trucks, and Its a huge relief I know that I might not have to build it piece-by-piece. But do they come with a battery and a charger?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default re rtr stadium trucks

you will have to buy a battery and charger whether you decide to go with a t4, rustler or slash.

i own a t4 with a mamba brushless system and its phenominal for racing. and parts availability is great. in my opinion its the best 1/10 stadium truck on the market for racing .

i also own a traxxas slash rtr and its a very tough truck. i plan on converting it to mamba brushless soon. parts availability for the slash is excellent as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

go for the slash, it's completely waterproof (you can submerge it in a pool and it will still work!)
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For first car/truck, I'd recommend the Slash. For a charger, I'd recommend the Duratrax Onyx 230
Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
For first car/truck, I'd recommend the Slash. For a charger, I'd recommend the Duratrax Onyx 230

I have that Onyx 230 charger and it works flawlessly and it is very easy to use. I also have a Rustler VXL and a T4. The rustler is great for bashing around the back yard. The T4 is at home on the track. Either one you decide to but will need a charger and your choice of batteries. The rustler vlx with charger and batteries would put you back about $400 - $500. the T4 would probably be another $200.

I hope this helps...