Search

pinion for tc4 - 6turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default pinion for tc4 - 6turn

Hi all,

I have a factory tc4 running the stock 72T 48 pitch spur. Just wondering, what type of pinion gear do I need for this setup with a 6 turn motor to achieve max speed?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddzc
Hi all,

I have a factory tc4 running the stock 72T 48 pitch spur. Just wondering, what type of pinion gear do I need for this setup with a 6 turn motor to achieve max speed?

Thanks
The type of pinion you will need is a 48P. Many brands will work, but I prefer Robinson.

If you are asking what size of pinion to use Associated reccomends a 19 tooth pinion for an 8 turn motor. This would be a good place to start.

The maximum size pinion you can fit into a TC4 without any modifications is a 32 tooth. You will need to watch the motor temperature as you gear up. The higher you gear the car the higher the temps will be.

Other things that will affect what size pinion to use will be the use of the TC4 (e.g. oval, onroad, parking lot, size of track,etc.).
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the response,

Are there different types of pinions? I noticed some are longers than others..

I will be using my car for street and sometimes racing on an indoor carpet track. What do you recommend for both driving types? (wondering how many teeth I should get on the 48P pinion)?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

If you have pinions I would suggest starting with a 19t. If you need to buy pinions then the Robinson Starter Set #1055 would be a good choice.start:http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...tchpinion.html
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

great, i'll grab that pack. Thanks a lot. Will the car have higher torque and less top end with a higher tooth pinion? Also, it may overheat when higher? Is this how it works?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ddzc
great, i'll grab that pack. Thanks a lot. Will the car have higher torque and less top end with a higher tooth pinion? Also, it may overheat when higher? Is this how it works?
Just the opposite, the car will have higher top end and less accerleration, or torgue, with more teeth on the pinion. The same is true with with a smaller spur gear. And yes, the more teeth on the pinion will increase motor temps when the motor has to start working harder.