Wiki Posts
Search

Did I just ruin my tires?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Did I just ruin my tires?!

So I've been racing 2WD truck for a while now, and I'd been having a "Loose" condition. Every time I got on the throttle beyond 1/16th coming out of a corner, it would spin out. So I finally discover, that even though the tread is in GREAT shape, the foam inserts basically broke down and crapped out. Since the tread was great, I figured I could remove the tire, install new inserts, and re-glue the tire back on.

They were already breaking loose in a few places, and I was able to peel them back a bit. While I was working on them, a friend suggested soaking them in acetone. I did, and it kinda worked, so I tried something else. Mineral Spirits(basically another type of paint thinner) Well, for those of you who know, it soaked up the Mineral Spirits like a freakin SPONGE! Now one side of the tire is FAT, I mean bulbous and goofy fat. I've got it in a warm place, thinking maybe it'll dry out.

So my question is: Has anyone else done this and actually got it to work? If there's enough interest, I'll snap a few pics. Just curious if it'll go back down. Right now, it sure is funny looking...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like they are done. Next time you want to remove tires from rims just put them on some foil and put them in the oven. Take them out when the oven reaches 350. Heat is super glues enemy. It breaks down the chemical process that forms the bond. Ive used this method about 10 times now and it works. If you use a lot of glue you may need to heat them more than once. Also the foams don't get ruined this way.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fazznick
Sounds like they are done. Next time you want to remove tires from rims just put them on some foil and put them in the oven. Take them out when the oven reaches 350. Heat is super glues enemy. It breaks down the chemical process that forms the bond. Ive used this method about 10 times now and it works. If you use a lot of glue you may need to heat them more than once. Also the foams don't get ruined this way.
Not sure your wife will like the idea though. It stinks!!!! literally
Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The easiest and best way to replace the foam is to just use an exacto knife on the inner bead. Try to cut as much of the rubber out as possible. But, dont spend too much time on it because its OK to leave a some of the tire in the bead.

Pull it apart, take out the old foam, but new foam, in and re-glue it.

Superglue works just as well if not better with some of the rubber still in the bead.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hmmm.... Mineral spirits is an oil... I doubt it will ever dry out... You could try soaking it back in the acetone for a couple of days.

The acetone method does work.. just dont be so eager... for me it usually takes 3-4 days.. more is better as it will break down CA super glue. I just did this last week because I had some cracked rims with good tires on it.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fazznick
+1

I love this method to save wheels, even though I've realized they are the cheapest part of the setup, hehe.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I have heard several people state that they Boil the tires to cause the glue to release.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

It's quite true, but if your rims are cheap, they'll start to really flex. I know this is for sure on traxxas rims..
Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Or just find some asphalt at the bottom of a hill and floor it down the hill and crank out a few 180's, that's how I (accidentally) removed the old Traxxas tires (no foam! ) from the rims. Ripped them right off the bead.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

*UPDATE* It seems to be working! I left it in front of a space heater all night, and it shrunk back down about 30%. I figure if I leave it like that, it should go back down to normal size. It feels like it's gonna have more traction now... I might try doing just the tread on a sacrificial set... just to see what happens on the track.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

You just discovered poor mans tire prep. I actually treat the treaded section of my tires with Kerosene and Marvels mystery oil mix applied very carefully. It softens up the tires for spectacular grip, and yes the tire soaks it right up. Most of the comercial tire preps (Go Cart Racing) are way to stong for the soft rubber that RC car tires are made of. Diesel fuel will soften them up too, but fellow racers will bitc* about the stench (I KNOW).
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

acetone. just soak it and the tire will fall right off
Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Uhh he tried that already, then mineral spirits

I usually boil my tires off on one side so I can replace the foams it them. It works very well. I have a dedicated pan. Then, I soak my rims in acetone (with the other side still glued) to clean all the residual glue off. I try to get that done ASAP so my tire doesn't swell up. Acetone fumes will break the glue down as well.

If I don't care about the tire and I want to reuse the rim, I just cut most of the tire away and soak it in acetone overnight.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

motorman17 you have PM

Originally Posted by (motorman17)
You just discovered poor mans tire prep. I actually treat the treaded section of my tires with Kerosene and Marvels mystery oil mix applied very carefully. It softens up the tires for spectacular grip, and yes the tire soaks it right up. Most of the comercial tire preps (Go Cart Racing) are way to stong for the soft rubber that RC car tires are made of. Diesel fuel will soften them up too, but fellow racers will bitc* about the stench (I KNOW).