Wiki Posts
Search

SC8 and a Ofna starter box

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default SC8 and a Ofna starter box

I just bought a ofna starter box for my sc8 but am having a problem.The rubber wheel in the starter box is not making contact with the motor.When fully depressed onto the box it misses by almost an eighth of an inch.I don't see any adjustment points and was just curious if any one else has had this problem.I did buy the 1/8 offroad starter box so I am kinda baffled here.Help,anyone?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

i've not had the sc8 but if it's like other rtr's, you might need to swap out the roto start backplate for a regular backplate then you will need different motor mounts to lower the engine. i could be wrong though, it happins..
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

This is what I did I built 12 new flywheels that are bigger in diameter. This picture is before it has the dowels installed and the knurl put on. I have a CNC Mill and a CNC Lathe.
Attached Thumbnails SC8 and a Ofna starter box-dscf1637.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I am going to start to sell them for $22.00
Old 02-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jhtoy
I just bought a ofna starter box for my sc8 but am having a problem.The rubber wheel in the starter box is not making contact with the motor.When fully depressed onto the box it misses by almost an eighth of an inch.I don't see any adjustment points and was just curious if any one else has had this problem.I did buy the 1/8 offroad starter box so I am kinda baffled here.Help,anyone?

Like the other poster said, you may have to ditch the roto start backplate and install a regular one and then change the engine mount to the factory team one.

Weird, the RC8 RTR will drop right onto my Ofna starter box (the blue one) and fire right up. Are you running the Chrome top box or the blue truggy box? The SC8 may have a different motor mount from the RC8 RTR, but I couldn't see why...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a SC8 and use the chrome top box with no problems. U do not need to remove the backplate. double check you bump box motor is mounted correctly and lined up. are you using the remote glow plug or r u using the glow starter directly into the engine. u would not be able to use the remote b/c you cant push the truck down from there. if you are going directly to the glow plug and your motor is aligned correctly, just push harder.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys but I am still not sure what route to take.I have the ofna compact box with the plain aluminum top part #10245,maybe I just need a different box?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

To solve my problem I modified my $40 starter box instead of my $600 truck.I simply added some adjustment to the rubber wheel by drilling and dremeling the slot that the wheel screws into.This raised the wheel just enough so that it makes good contact with the motor.After doing this I noticed the belt drive on the rubber wheel was rubbing slightly on the top of the box so a small notch was needed to clearance it.It works perfectly now!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

or you could just dremel the chassis a little bit on both side of the flywheel opening.