Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

so it has striped the little flats from the drive washer is there an aftermarket option on these and if so can someone point me in the right direction as i havent been able to find much in the way of spares for this car
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I read the first 75 pages of this thread. I really like the car but, is it easy getting spare parts for this car? I would like to race in a mini class but if its hard getting parts for it I might have to go with a different car.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TonyK
I read the first 75 pages of this thread. I really like the car but, is it easy getting spare parts for this car? I would like to race in a mini class but if its hard getting parts for it I might have to go with a different car.
Towerhobbies has the parts but hard to search for. Some of the parts aren't list as "cup racer". Stormerhobbies has the most parts for this car and easy to find.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Towerhobbies has the parts but hard to search for. Some of the parts aren't list as "cup racer". Stormerhobbies has the most parts for this car and easy to find.
+1 Stormerhobbies.com They carry the exotek parts for the cup racers as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TonyK
I haven't had issues getting parts other then tire selection. Once I found out in this thread that you can run Tamiya M-Chassis wheels and tires that became much easier. Most parts I have been able to get from my LHS within 3-4 days.

As for the competitiveness of this car I compete weekly in club races in the brushless open class. The cars I compete against are are regular 1/10th stuff a few TC6, Xrays and Sprints. Right now out of 32 drivers i'm sitting in 5th place. With the ease and adjustibility of the Cup Racer it's all come down to setup. The floor we run on is a hardened rubber and it seems the only tires that hook 100% are the Schumachers which they don't make for the Cup Racer. I think with the Schumachers I would be top 3 however I am quite content with where I stand currently.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

do you mind sharing your setup?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got done finishing my Cup Racer

Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Markus
do you mind sharing your setup?
Nope not a problem at all. This is my first time working with an on-road car so maybe my setup isn't the way it's supposed to be but it works and the car is predictable. The surface we run on is a hard rubberized gym floor and it's slick!

Front
white springs
1 degree camber
0 toe
3 hole piston
laydown shocks
3mm ride height
medium diff spring
35wt oil
Tamiya M-Chassis Rally Tires

Rear
white springs
1.75 degree camber
3 degree toe
stock tower outer hole
4mm ride height
3 hole piston
30wt oil
medium tight ball diff
Tamiya M-Chassis Rally Tires
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rbjeepthing
I haven't had issues getting parts other then tire selection. Once I found out in this thread that you can run Tamiya M-Chassis wheels and tires that became much easier. Most parts I have been able to get from my LHS within 3-4 days.

As for the competitiveness of this car I compete weekly in club races in the brushless open class. The cars I compete against are are regular 1/10th stuff a few TC6, Xrays and Sprints. Right now out of 32 drivers i'm sitting in 5th place. With the ease and adjustibility of the Cup Racer it's all come down to setup. The floor we run on is a hardened rubber and it seems the only tires that hook 100% are the Schumachers which they don't make for the Cup Racer. I think with the Schumachers I would be top 3 however I am quite content with where I stand currently.
Are you referring to schumacher mini pins? A few years ago when there weren't much mini tire selection I used to cut down 1/10 sedan slicks.
1 Cut one clean cut straight across tread of the 1/10th tire with scissors.
2 Lay the tire around a mini rim
3 Mark tire bead where the tires begin to overlap
4 Cut off the overlap with a clean cut
5 Test fit newly shortened tire to see how the bead fits (hopefully not too loose or you may need to remove another mm).
6 Repeat for remaining three tire using the first tire as a gauge so that all tires are the same diameter.
7 Glue ends of tires together with thin CA
8 Install on rims

And there you go- Schumacher mini tires
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeR
Are you referring to schumacher mini pins? A few years ago when there weren't much mini tire selection I used to cut down 1/10 sedan slicks.
1 Cut one clean cut straight across tread of the 1/10th tire with scissors.
2 Lay the tire around a mini rim
3 Mark tire bead where the tires begin to overlap
4 Cut off the overlap with a clean cut
5 Test fit newly shortened tire to see how the bead fits (hopefully not too loose or you may need to remove another mm).
6 Repeat for remaining three tire using the first tire as a gauge so that all tires are the same diameter.
7 Glue ends of tires together with thin CA
8 Install on rims

And there you go- Schumacher mini tires
Thanks!!! I have done that with crawler tires wasn't too sure how it would work with the on-road tires since the RPM's are higher. Might have to try that with a cheaper set of tires first since the Schumachers are expensive to get up here in Canada.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Mornin All,

I've been away from the rc crowd since approx 96-98. My last car was an RS4PRO. Anyway, fwiw the Cup Racer has brought me back I have the Porsche kit and luv building it. Unfortunately, i have run into a few probs like stripping the thread on the rear differential screw ( part # 86392 ) and then using thread lock glue on the wrong part ( metal part # 86194 ) instead of the ( plastic part # 85281 ) when assembling the front gear case Anyway, apart from these two stuff ups i'm having fun and have learnt my lesson to be more attentive. Only draw back with getting back into the rc scene is i'm time deprived thanks to marriage and being a father. Fingers crossed my little lad picks up the rc bug when the Cup Racer is finished.

Cheers,
Brad
Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Rookie

looking to upgrade the front diff in my HPI cup Racer , maybe to a ball diff .

Any one have any ideas ?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Only draw back with getting back into the rc scene is i'm time deprived thanks to marriage and being a father.
...i am in the same boat. My boys are 2.5 and 4.5 years. ....I am back into rc cars and crawlers because I need an outlet from the kids and wife. Love them all with all my heart, but also need some personal time now and then to do my own thing.

My 4.5 year old is getting into r/c'ing w/ me. I am actually working on a build for him, ...using a very slow 65t motor, w/ oversized monster truck tires. ...building something he can't break too easily.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Any other Lipos other than the Team Orion Carbon's with 4mm bullet connectors direct fit the Cup Racer? I have one, perfect fit, bullet connectors line up. Issue is finding them.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by eR1c
...i am in the same boat. My boys are 2.5 and 4.5 years. ....I am back into rc cars and crawlers because I need an outlet from the kids and wife. Love them all with all my heart, but also need some personal time now and then to do my own thing.
How true buddy. Personally, i'm absolutely in luv with this kit regardless of its minor flaws. Fwiw, its been a long time since i've been challenged hobby wise. Last time was when i built the original 2.5cc Serpent Impact back in the early 90's. It's good to hear your also getting back into the rc scene mate. Awesome to hear ya goin to share your knowledge and experience with your lads

Respectfully nods head your way,
Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.