Wiki Posts
Search

Saving your outdrives?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Saving your outdrives?

Im wondering if theres ways that i dont know of to save your outdrives. mine are starting to get dented in from the cvd again. does anyone know of a cvd blade that would fit in an offroad? i know they are in on road cars but why dont i see them in off road 2wd's?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can use a dremel and a cut off wheel and cut a new slot 90 degrees
from the old slot. I use a 3/32 carbide end mill and a bridgeport.
JD
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I suppose you could cut new slots in your old outdrives, but that seems like a lot of work for the cost.

I see from your tag you run a Losi XXXT MF2.... If you run stock, I would suggest switching to Losi Aluminum dogbones and plastic outdrives. They wear a whole lot less together than running steel on steel. They also give you less rotating mass and gives you a little bit more of take off acceleration.

Jerome
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
Im wondering if theres ways that i dont know of to save your outdrives. mine are starting to get dented in from the cvd again. does anyone know of a cvd blade that would fit in an offroad? i know they are in on road cars but why dont i see them in off road 2wd's?
On my T4 and RB5 I use a tricked learned from a Losi Driver.
1. On the side of the cvd with the 2 pins that go into the outdrive, mate the the the cvd and outdrive together. Best done outside the car because you will need a dremmel for step 2.
2. Once you have them together, take a dremmel and take off the parts of the pins that extend outside the outdrive slots. One done, the pins should be close to flush. I have not had my cvd pop out after doing this and for some reason it seems to double the life of the outdrives. If you don't feel comfortable taking the pins to flush level with the outdrive surface, leave a little bit of the pin sticking out past the outdrive surface.

that's it
idbdoug
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

all good ideas but i just replace mine every 4th diff rebuild.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

I have thought for a long time that on nitro trucks just to much power would wear the outdrives in a big hurry and on electric a slipper adjustment might be in order. I find that just a tad to tight and oudrives take a beating landing off of jumps.