Search

NEED HELP.. Strange problem encountered

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default NEED HELP.. Strange problem encountered

Hi folks,

I have a Losi 8 buggy with a spektrom 2.0 radio. It started out as a RTR.
I have replaced the stock throttle servo with a Hitec msc-5996tg. Things worked well for about 3 practice days and then on race day the throttle servo started responding intermittently "Only when the engine is running"
when I shut the engine down its fine???. The steering servo is not effected.
Things I have Checked:
1. Changed receiver battery / both fully charged
2. Transmitter batterys fully charged
3. checked all wiring and found no issues
4. Throttle is set up with proper EPA
5. All throttle linkages are correct and free of obstruction
6. radio tray is correctly rubber mounted
7. Servos are correctly rubber mounted
8. re-synced the radio and receiver

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Starting to pull my hair out

thanks for your help in advance

Chris
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like a bad servo.

Did you try switching the plugs between throttle and steering to check the receiver?

Hitec has good customer service if you send that one back with a receipt they would probably take care of it for you.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schultztec
Hi folks,

I have a Losi 8 buggy with a spektrom 2.0 radio. It started out as a RTR.
I have replaced the stock throttle servo with a Hitec msc-5996tg. Things worked well for about 3 practice days and then on race day the throttle servo started responding intermittently "Only when the engine is running"
when I shut the engine down its fine???. The steering servo is not effected.
Things I have Checked:
1. Changed receiver battery / both fully charged
2. Transmitter batterys fully charged
3. checked all wiring and found no issues
4. Throttle is set up with proper EPA
5. All throttle linkages are correct and free of obstruction
6. radio tray is correctly rubber mounted
7. Servos are correctly rubber mounted
8. re-synced the radio and receiver

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Starting to pull my hair out

thanks for your help in advance

Chris
My guess is that it is either the throttle/brake servo or the receiver.

First, swap out the throttle/brake servo. If the problem goes away the servo is bad.

If the problem persists with a different servo, swap the receiver out with a different receiver. If the different receiver works fine, then you'll know the receiver is bad.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replys guys, I have an update.. This morning I got the car on the bench again turned on the radio and receiver without engine running and the throttle servo would not work. it had power going to it because when I turned the servo horn by hand, it had reisitance and the servo would buzz. after i did that a few times the servo started working again. However, when the serrvo was not responding, I plugged a different servo into the port and the new servo worked fine, so it seems like it is a servo problem.. I am Bummed this is a 110.00 servo.

thx
\chris
Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Call Hitec, their customer service is very good. When I had problems with their servos in the past they always made it right.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't get it. For 110+ bucks I want it to work real well for a long time. Can you say JR ?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

JR makes better servo's, but nobody beats Hitech's customer service..they just send new servo's most of the time, no questions asked! That's awesome
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys,

I am going to run the whole radio tray up to the shop where I purchased the servo and see what they can do. I bought it last week so its real new.
Yes I am bummed as well, I bought this servo knowing it was overkill in the hopes that I would never have to mess with it, but i guess Sh** happens

thanks for all your help

Chris
Old 02-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

welcome to the world of losi dont blame the servo.....when I used to race a 8ight I went through a few servos, put in a king heads servo tray stifiner never had a issue I even ran a 30.00 sport servo on the throttle when I put on the king heads brace to make sure it would not kill another 100+ dollar servo and ended up using the sport servo for over 4 mths lol before fianlyl swapping it out with one of my good ones.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Ryan may be right........do the 2.0 radio tray/linkage conversion and never worry about frying a t/b servo again... If I were running a gen1 8ight, thats what I would do............GL with getting your servo replaced, thats a bummer when crap like that happens
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

you should take a look at the the link below this will help with the servo problems you are having and also make sure the you set the EPA on your radio so the servo doesnt pull on the the radio tray

you could also run the 2.0 radio tray and throttle linkage that will also stop the problem

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/8...ndum_LoRes.pdf
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the responce guys, Well good news the hobbyshop I purchased the servo from swapped it out for me no issues. (great place to deal with)..
And as for the setup thread i have read it at least twice and set the linkages up so there is no binding at all throttle and brakes. I spent at least 3 hours tweeking and adjusting it. I have the throttle setup to only open about 90 % and the brakes are setup light enough so there is little to no tray movement at full brake. The servos and the tray itself is all rubber mounted and there is a fair amount of flex throughout.. Crazy thing is one would think the servo that takes the most beating would be the steering servo

thx
chris
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
JR makes better servo's, but nobody beats Hitech's customer service..they just send new servo's most of the time, no questions asked! That's awesome

I beg to differ.....JR's 9XXX series the top case bushings fail...they do not have enough support around them and can cause the gears to fail...you want pics....i got em.

I have yett to see a Hitec Top case or gear set fail.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
I beg to differ.....JR's 9XXX series the top case bushings fail...they do not have enough support around them and can cause the gears to fail...you want pics....i got em.

I have yett to see a Hitec Top case or gear set fail.
I like you too much to argue with you...You stick with what works for you...I have no problems with either brand
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I like you too much to argue with you...You stick with what works for you...I have no problems with either brand

i as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.