Wiki Posts
Search

Hingepin reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default Hingepin reconditioning

So I was in the middle of a teardown/rebuild of a used RC8 that I just picked up and I noticed how much crud had built up on the hingepin, so much that I could barely get them out of the arms. It was almost fused to it and a rag wasn't cutting it. Low and behold what do I see? Some 800 grit sandpaper and my 18v drill hmmmmmmmm.........................

I secured the hingepin in the drill (wrap the end in the drill with something to protect it from damage) and wrapped the 800 grit (available in the automotive section of WalMart)around the pin and pulled the trigger working the sand paper up and down while it's rotating. After about 5 seconds it was smoother than new. Take it out flip it over and get the rest that was in the drill. Works great!

After that I took some Mobile 1 Synthetic grease and put a light coat inside the hingpin holes in the arms (after cleaning with a pipe cleaner) and now the arms are SUPER smooth with absolutely NO play.

And that Mobile 1 grease is $8.99 for a lb at Pepboys, I use it in the gearboxes, on shock seals, diff o-rings, hingepins and CVD's a little bit goes a LONG way, this lb will probably last me longer than I'll probably be racing. Beats the hell out of paying that much for a few cc's of grease. I highly recommend it!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

I agree with what was said above, fine sandpaper. Mobil 1 grease is great for diffs and shocks, etc., but I wouldn't use the Mobil 1 on this exposed part unless you have no, or little, dust. You'll have the same issue of caked on dirt in no time. I use a very light bushing oil in small amounts.

If you really want to get carried away, polish the freshly cleaned pin with Mothers alum polish. A little on a rag and spin up in a drill. Learned that from tuning brushed motors for electric racing. Not a secret with elec guys, just thought I'd share with the nitro crowd.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just use my bench top buffer with some compound and it take's em back to Shiny new.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use automotive brake cleaner on my hingepins, then spray them with a coat of Dry Graphite film lube from Napa. Wait for them to dry maybe 5 minutes and then reinstall. Never have any buildup doing it this way.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

When first building a kit...
1) Use a reamer or appropriate drill bit to very, very slightly debur hinge pin holes.
2) Use fine metal polish to clean all hinge pins (shock shafts too).
3) Squirt a little White Lightning bicycle chain lube inside hinge pin holes, assemble as usual.