Wiki Posts
Search

New Guy, 1'st post on this site. Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New Guy, 1'st post on this site. Couple of questions

I just bought a Traxxas E-Maxx today, first RC Car besides the $30.00 at Wal-Mart lol. Me and my son took a stroll through a local Hobby shop and I became interested in the sport. After some research on the net, and some talking with the owners of the shop I decided on the E-Maxx. I'm not a millionaire but I have a little extra cash laying around. Any reccomendations on how to make this Bad boy last?? Would I need to change any parts to aluminum??? etc. They talked me into the Venom Pro Charger which takes a act of God to work, and some Venom 5000 batteries. I havn't ran the truck yet, as a matter of fact my batteries are charging this very instant. After dishing out $631.49 I'm hoping this baby runs pretty good. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sometime in the future I'm going to upgrade it to a Brushless system and Lipo batteries, I just need to get the feel for it right now.

Traxxas E-Maxx Stock except Wheelie Bar

Venom Pro Charger
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

first thing you should do is take the batts back to the hobby store and get some Ener-g or elite batts

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...rer=4&model=21

http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=4
Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Well first just want to welcome you to the Hobby, it's a great Hobby! I started with my father over 23 years ago, and I am still into it. I don't have any experience with the truck you have, but what I can tell you is aluminum parts are not always better. The certainly look better, and can give your truck a more custom look, but they don't always perform better then the stock parts. Most parts that will break on your truck (i.e. the suspension arms, maybe shock towers...) are made to break, they break so that other parts in your truck won't break, i.e. your chassis. So for now I would stay away from any aluminum parts and see how it goes from their. Plus if you just starting out, stock parts are always less expensive to replace then some nice aluminum parts. I am not sure if the E-Max come with ball bearings, but if it doesn't that's the first thing I would change, a decent sent of bearings always makes the truck run faster and smoother. I hate to bad mouth any products that people buy, but I would have to agree, the venom batteries are not the best. I have found a good battery makes all the difference in having fun with your truck, however having said that you don't need to have the most expensive batteries, just better ones then the venom packs. So hope that helps, and hope you enjoy the Hobby!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Welcome to the hobby, wont be long and you and your son will both be hopelessly addicted. You made a good choice on the E-Maxx, its a very well built fun truck to play with right out of the box. If I were you, I would save up some money and just keep it handy. Run the truck as is, and as things break (which should not be to often unless you drive the truck into a wall) replace them with upgrades. Overall I make bets you will be very happy with the truck, and shouldn't break much.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

HOLY $HIT!!! I just gave my truck a little test drive and my mouth fell open!! This thing is crazy fast. lol I can imagine if i go brushless. I appreciate all of your info, Don't appologize or feel bad for the responses you all leave. If it's the truth I want to hear it. Ok...I was wanting to get a extra set of batteries anyway, so I'll check on those you mentioned. I have another question you all might can help me with. I'm looking for a dual charger that the TRX plug will go straight into. I've found them with the molex connector but that doesn't do me any good. If there is anyway I can charge 2 batteries at once and be safe about it I would really like to know how. Thanks again for all of your help!!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You just have to solder them on. The Onyx 240 would be good if you dont want lipo right away. Glad you like the addicting world of rc!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:31 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i use the 230 onyx on racedays and actually leave the 'race' charger in the box. the 240 i believe is the 'dually' version of the 230. so that will work just fine. sounds like u cant return the batts, or else i wouldve agreed and returned them. new folks can use lipos, just like nickel batts, u must be responsible bout them.

DO NOT 'upgrade' the truck, just run it like it is and have a ball. ally parts are just bling, and bling is for 17yr old white skinny e-thugs and their civics.

enjoy and welcome! and thank you for choosing electric over nitro. in doin so i see ur already enjoyin the truck and not still 'breakin it in and tuning the mess and pissin off that crusty neighbor of urs'.

R
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

id get the hyperion duo you will never have to buy another charger again
Old 01-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I ordered some stuff last night including a dual charger, 2- 7 cell 5000mAh batteries, and a GorillaMaxx.com velcro battery holder that will keep piggy back batteries in place. I'm really getting addicted to this with just 1 day under my belt. I also really appreciate all the help you have given me since last night when I first posted. I'll be on here pretty often looking through the forums and maybe finding some helpful information. I know if i need a question answered pretty fast to ask u all. Thanks again for all of your help. Now its time to go play again.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Glad you like the truck. Rpm suspension arms are a popular upgrade, there made from a softer plastic thats harder to break. They help to reduce the stress of crashes on the rest of the truck too.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll check the RPM's out...thanks Anybody know what kind of battery I can install for about 45min run time???
Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, since you've got the charger that is lipo compatible (with an integrated balancer!!!), I'd say go lipo. A 4 cell lipo in the 5000 mah range should get you at least 20 to 25 minutes.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I remember someone posting they ran a 12,000 mah lipo, wouldn't doubt it either, but it is probably some sort of a one-off, and would be real freaking expensive to boot.
But you would probably end up with arn near an hour's runtime.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thats a sick car...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've heard through the grapevine that you can't run lipo in a stock E-Maxx. Is that true? Do you need some kind of upgrade to "get er done"? Thanks for all of your help