Like Tree2Likes

HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GundamWZero
What??? It's a basher???

I still race mines: a RS4 Pro 2 with a Novak GTB/Velocity brushless system. Working on two bodies, A Evo X and an older Subaru WRX.

Parts for it is very hard to come by....I would like to get a new carbon chassis, screw sets, body posts, etc... the car is still operational, but I know that one good wreck and this car will not function at all.

I am looking for at least two more Pro 2s to buy, just can't find anyone selling them.
Hmm, maybe I'm using the term basher wrong? I don't race so I guess you could say this is a recreational car? I'm not trying to jump it off curbs or anything like that though.

I did pick up another chassis for spares so at this point I have 2 complete cars and could probably build a third if I bought a chassis. I buy parts when I find them whether I need them or not. Most of my stuff comes from ebay and old new stock collecting dust at hobby shops. There is a PRO3 on ebay right now NIB. For screws I used Hexcrews, the kit came with enough to do almost 2 cars.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default The purple continues...

I went from some purple here and there to buying it if it was purple and seeing if it fits. It's a sickness really. Well here are the latest...

added alum C hubs and front A arms. pro2 cvd's work great with no binding, may even allow the 200mm setup.

still waiting on the purple (they just happen to be purple) low pro ball joints so I can get rid of the pre bent steering tie rod.

nitro rs4 evo 3 shocks. refilled with 50wt ae shock oil. seem to do ok but I'm going to play around with some different springs.

purple 30mm chassis standoffs, because the rear was lacking something.

going to drop this bad boy in at some point. the jump from 4600kv to 6900kv will earn a new lic plate.

We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any chance of steering knuckles from other cars to fit on the Pro/Pro2? Something that will adapt readily available CVDs (Tamiya etc) that have same bearing sizes in and out.

Reading this brings back all the good times I had with my Pro2, too bad I sold it. Of the 6 years I've had it all that broke was a rear belt from a trapped rock, and one bent CVD.

It must have been the materials they used back then, as I remember lightening the carbon rear arms by cutting out the inner reinforcement ribs... it was a b**** to saw out! The plastics were solid inside, when my Pro4 arms broke I noticed a lot of voids in the material. I guess they had to make it lighter somehow.

Owned the Pro3 and Pro4 as well and I have to say the Pro2 was my favourite followed by the Pro4. I even went back to racing my Pro2 until the Pro4 came out and sold the Pro3.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rc_square24
Any chance of steering knuckles from other cars to fit on the Pro/Pro2? Something that will adapt readily available CVDs (Tamiya etc) that have same bearing sizes in and out.
Not really...just keep in mind that the steering knuckles from the Nitro RS4, RS4 mini and the like are basically the same so any steering knuckles you find for them will work on the Pro/Pro2.

Owned the Pro3 and Pro4 as well and I have to say the Pro2 was my favourite followed by the Pro4. I even went back to racing my Pro2 until the Pro4 came out and sold the Pro3.
Sounds familiar. I have the Original RS4 with the Pro Front End and Dual Belt conversions and have owned the Pro 2, Pro 3 and Pro 4. I also sold my Pro 3 (but long after I got the Pro 4) and have visitation rights to the Pro 2 (gave it to a good friend of mine).
Old 07-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

The knuckles is not what i'm worried about, but the front CVD swing shafts are almost impossible to come by now. And with most cvds now designed "swing shaft into axle" rather than the MIP type "axle into swing shaft" I thought it'd be easier to get replacements.

Do you know of other mip shafts that are acceptable for the Pro2? If i recall the Pro4 shafts (coincidentally the same length as the TC3 ones) fit on either front or rear of the Pro2 but it's so long ago I could be wrong.

Anyways I was browsing and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hpi-Nitro-RS4-3-E...item53de2b80c2

And looking at the design I think there should be some swing shafts out there that will be the right length and much easier in the future to hunt down on parts.

What you guys think?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

The knuckles is not what i'm worried about, but the front CVD swing shafts are almost impossible to come by now. And with most cvds now designed "swing shaft into axle" rather than the MIP type "axle into swing shaft" I thought it'd be easier to get replacements.

Do you know of other mip shafts that are acceptable for the Pro2? If i recall the Pro4 shafts (coincidentally the same length as the TC3 ones) fit on either front or rear of the Pro2 but it's so long ago I could be wrong.

Anyways I was browsing and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hpi-Nitro-RS4-3-E...item53de2b80c2

And looking at the design I think there should be some swing shafts out there that will be the right length and much easier in the future to hunt down on parts.

What you guys think?
rc_square24 nice pics thanks for sharing!

I just keep my google reader on ebay and stuff pops up every now and then . I bought a mip set of pro 2 universals and they fit my pro. They seemed to be a little longer but that just means I could run the wide configuration too. The nitro rs4 is also basically the same car, maybe search for it's parts too?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am just getting into the hobby and was given a RS4 PRO 1. I am going to be doing the BL upgrade but was wondering where to find a lot of the parts for aluminum upgrades. Ive been scowering eBay and what not but everything is impossible to find. Ive read this thread atleast 100 times and love the interest in the 15 year old car. If anyone could tell me good sites or anything to find parts that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, What parts are compatable from car to car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Pretty much parts for this car are only available as hobby shops liquidate their inventory on ebay. I found some stuff in my lhs in a box on the floor but otherwise parts are gone. As far as compatibility goes, some stuff fits and some stuff doesn't. Suspension parts across the RS4 series are fairly similar. I bought nitro3 arms that fit but had to use PRO 1 c hubs. Pro 2 mip universals fit the PRO 1 but are a little longer than stock.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

IH8VTEC how is the fitment and quality of the aluminum parts you got? They look like they're from GPM? I'm always wary of getting their stuff lol
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

IH8VTEC how is the fitment and quality of the aluminum parts you got? They look like they're from GPM? I'm always wary of getting their stuff lol
Actually they fit quite well. I can't speak for their manufacturing tolerances but the parts I have work very well together. I did need to sand a rear hub to fit and shim it to remove binding but otherwise everything is nice and slop free. I know what you mean about gpm and after the disaster that is my mini SCT I will be much more careful about buying their products. I do prefer to go with manufacturer option parts whenever possible and I use them on the pro when I can find them.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Sweet! I use to race rc like 5 years ago and now im back in the game. Kool how I came upon this thread which is helping me alot.

I have a HPi RS4 Sport 2 with a brushless dynamite fuze 6800kv. Its uncontrollably FAST! The only sad thing rite now is that my body post are all jacked up and I need new ones. I cant seem to find them anywhere since these model are discontinued.

What are my options and alternatives?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FastHPi
Sweet! I use to race rc like 5 years ago and now im back in the game. Kool how I came upon this thread which is helping me alot.

I have a HPi RS4 Sport 2 with a brushless dynamite fuze 6800kv. Its uncontrollably FAST! The only sad thing rite now is that my body post are all jacked up and I need new ones. I cant seem to find them anywhere since these model are discontinued.

What are my options and alternatives?
I found the hpi website invaluable, tech support, meh, they can't really be bothered to measure things. They also don't know which pieces are interchangeable between the rs4 series. Just study the parts trees and see if anything else looks close.

Ebay becomes your friend and pieces pop up all the time. I went the route of buying a couple rollers when they became available. It's possible to get new body posts, they may not be the stock part and you may have to drill holes but it will work.

**I just looked up your body posts, if you are using the stock ones they are still readily available, search part# hpi a371.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

More or less from following this thread and the memories it brought back, I have got myself a Pro2 roller off of RCTech

The car was in near mint condition except for some scratches on the bottom, gritty diffs and worn front CVDs. Luckily, it came with a bunch of parts as well.

I left the car brushed in the beginning with the 27T stock motor it came with, but having driven brushless now it just seem to lack power and speed when it did a brief run in the parking lot.

The car is now fitted with a 13.5 X12 with a Hobbywing 120A ESC on boost, and the car was quite fast speed wise, but as it was in the parking lot dusty and slightly sandy I can't speak much of the handling until I get to the track this sunday.

Being the only TC I have now, I'll be racing this in the super stock class 13.5 boosted against a field of T3's, TCX, 416/7 etc in about two weeks time if the test and tune goes well this weekend. Just for fun and curious to see how it will do against todays cars.

The only thing I am worried about is the motor temps with the lack of a good position for the fan to cool it. The Yeah Racing fan I used to have was broken so I bought a Muchmore Ultra RPM but it wasn't pushing half as much air as the YR I had. I ended up swapping the ESC fan out to the motor and put the Muchmore on the ESC.

Some pictures:

Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Nice ride! Definitely let us know how it goes on the track.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I just finished redoing my workshop and had room to get out my old RC cars. I had put them away a while back. Since then I started flying electric RC and got comfortable with the brushless / li-poly systems. So, I broke out the old RS4 Pro 2 and googled up brushless conversion and got this thread. I picked up one SV2 / 7700 and one SV2 / 6900 BL kits and some 2S batteries. I updated the Pro 2 the 7700 / 2S 4000 and it is BALLISTIC!.

HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-rs4-pro-2-bl-conversion.jpg

I also had a Micro RS4 with a 540 conversion kit....needless to say it got a BL upgrade (SV2 / 6900 with a 2S1300 li-poly) too. I am not sure how fast it will be...

HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-micro-rs4-540-conv-bl-conv.jpg

Too bad HPI doesn't make parts for these any more. This should be fun..

cmmc5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.