Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

the nsr 123 or Novarossi NRS-RR12L3 or even te
Novarossi NRS-RR12L5 is there a diff between 5 port and 3 port and are all these engines turbo engines? also lookin at mugen x12 can i fit that onto serpent and any betetr pi[ps then the turbo II
Old 08-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

are turbo engiens raor legal? i heard they werent
Old 08-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ratios confuse me a bit these days. I was fine until Master Salven used the tractor analogy somewhere when he said something like tractors having high internal ratios and have useless acceleration!
The law of diminishing returns ! That's what MS tried to tell. True that initial acceleration would be good if you have a 8.08 1st gear ratio but that's it... Just initial acceleration for a few feet until 2nd gear takes over. If you go with a slightly larger track, a 6.8 1st gear ratio would make use of the engine power better giving you acceleration from the engine powerband more than just a few a few measely feet.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Bxclip
are turbo engiens raor legal? i heard they werent
Turbo engines (as in referring to the turbo plug) is already legal.

If you run a 5 port engine, it's illegal. You should be using a 3 port engine.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Novarossi NRS-RR12L5 is there a diff between 5 port and 3 port and are all these engines turbo engines?
These engines are all using turbo plugs. The RR12L3 (3 port) or RR12L5 (5 port) are all long stroke varients. Good for smallish and more tight tracks. The NS12S3 (3 port) and the NS12S5 (5 port) are the short stroke varients which are said to be better for long tracks.

also lookin at mugen x12 can i fit that onto serpent and any betetr pi[ps then the turbo II
You should be able to fit the engine in the 710. You can try Novarossi inline pipe 52606 or the NovaMega TP06 inline pipe. Excellent.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Tech Addict

Default RR12L3

Novarossi NRS-RR12L5 is there a diff between 5 port and 3 port and are all these engines turbo engines? also lookin at mugen x12 can i fit that onto serpent and any betetr pi[ps then the turbo II
I run a RRL3 and it is very quick for a tight track, and this leads me into my question

Our track is super tight through the infield and i have been reading the xxx main set up booklet (good reading!) and i now understand the basics however i am finding that a clutch that engages harshly and quickly is not nessecerly good because i have heaps of understeer through the infield (when accelarating) i have tried harder rear springs, decreasing the front droop and adding a front ball diff, but to no avail. The car is excellent through the rest of the track, but just not through a tight chicane after an hairpin (we come to an almost stop then go), were it just wants to go straight when turning!
any ideas? as i dont like the car with a slipping clutch it just feels slow! or is this the answer
Old 08-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: RR12L3

Originally posted by Voodo_Magic
I run a RRL3 and it is very quick for a tight track, and this leads me into my question

Our track is super tight through the infield and i have been reading the xxx main set up booklet (good reading!) and i now understand the basics however i am finding that a clutch that engages harshly and quickly is not nessecerly good because i have heaps of understeer through the infield (when accelarating) i have tried harder rear springs, decreasing the front droop and adding a front ball diff, but to no avail. The car is excellent through the rest of the track, but just not through a tight chicane after an hairpin (we come to an almost stop then go), were it just wants to go straight when turning!
any ideas? as i dont like the car with a slipping clutch it just feels slow! or is this the answer
Try a tighter rear diff (tighter clamp) setting. Drive the car and little by little have your pitman tighten the diff.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: RR12L3

Originally posted by Julius
Try a tighter rear diff (tighter clamp) setting. Drive the car and little by little have your pitman tighten the diff.
Thanks for the advise
Old 08-17-2004, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
The law of diminishing returns ! That's what MS tried to tell. True that initial acceleration would be good if you have a 8.08 1st gear ratio but that's it... Just initial acceleration for a few feet until 2nd gear takes over. If you go with a slightly larger track, a 6.8 1st gear ratio would make use of the engine power better giving you acceleration from the engine powerband more than just a few a few measely feet.
Ah, well put D. I forgot that these days I do club races on two small tracks!

Next year it gets a little serious with the Nationals and the WinterNats.

What's up with the kits being sold there these days? Someone was saying that its 710 version 2.1 ... is this true?

If it is, what are the mods/changes?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ah, well put D. I forgot that these days I do club races on two small tracks!

Next year it gets a little serious with the Nationals and the WinterNats.
It all starts in October Sow!

What's up with the kits being sold there these days? Someone was saying that its 710 version 2.1 ... is this true?
I think you're getting mixed up with the FAQ and the Car
Old 08-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default picco xp12R

well u guys my ? was answered sun at my lhs is fwo5r faster then the snake i took on 2 fwo5s one with 5port os max the other mr12 modified my eng picco x12R modified non turbo .well lets say the only car i had to try to catch was my best buddy kevin with his mtx3 which we both were turning 13,14 sec laps. yes the fwo5r accel superfast i watched an studied so i was locked frt so i decided to tighten the rear diff an the was on the attack put the one fwo5 down 5laps the other 6laps the picco eng is rated at 1.45 hp now with it modified well u knew the rest.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
It all starts in October Sow!
Ooops! You're right! I'd better get my act together now. A 5-port JP-FX should do the trick ... waddaya think?

I think you're getting mixed up with the FAQ and the Car
Ah ... maybe you're right. Anyway, the FAQ needs updating. The short wheel base mod I did is amazing. Well worth doing for foams.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: picco xp12R

Originally posted by impalabob64
well u guys my ? was answered sun at my lhs is fwo5r faster then the snake i took on 2 fwo5s one with 5port os max the other mr12 modified my eng picco x12R modified non turbo .well lets say the only car i had to try to catch was my best buddy kevin with his mtx3 which we both were turning 13,14 sec laps. yes the fwo5r accel superfast i watched an studied so i was locked frt so i decided to tighten the rear diff an the was on the attack put the one fwo5 down 5laps the other 6laps the picco eng is rated at 1.45 hp now with it modified well u knew the rest.
First comment: please use full stops in your sentences at least ... I had to read your post a few times to understand it.

Second comment: in the "my car is faster than yours" department, you win. Glad you're VERY happy with the 710! Next time go kick your friend's MTX as well.

By the way ... thanks for "sharing your passion" with us.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: picco xp12R

Originally posted by impalabob64

Bobby, forgot to ask you. How did you find tuning the Picco ... easy?

What temperatures are you running the engine at in Florida and with what plug and nitro content?

Also, your local track is where the WinterNats is run?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

So Sow doing some research for the winternats next year!?!?!?!!?

I presume you watched the Ray Wood dvd of the winternats several times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.