Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
Thanks for the info.

So if I use a higher front roll center, that would make the rear relatively lower if I did not touch it?

What do you mean by "the difference in balance between off and on throttle is smaller"?

- yes

- If you enter a corner off throttle and the car holds a certain line and you the accelerate you'd ideally want the car to keep on the same line. If it doesn't the handling off/on throttle is different.
With the higher roll centers there is less movement in the car so the change in handling is smaller.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone tried adding a taper to the rear tires like we do on a 1/8?
Old 05-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Tech Addict

Default Set up?

Dont know if you guys can help here but here goes!

I have attached a pic of my local track it is not very big and you are looking at it from the drivers stand. You drive clockwise around the track, The track has medium grip and the infield is tight. my problem lies here you will notice that at the end of the straight is a large sweeper what do you guys think the best set up would be so that i get on and off power steering for this part of the track as you might tell i have to back off quite a bit before the sweeper due to alot of understeer i am using th standard setup nut i have recently bought the front ball diff to see how that goes! If there is a setup on mytsn that you guys think that would work that would be great
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-nhrccc.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Set up?

Originally posted by Voodo_Magic

I have attached a pic of my local track it is not very big and you are looking at it from the drivers stand. You drive clockwise around the track, The track has medium grip and the infield is tight. my problem lies here you will notice that at the end of the straight is a large sweeper what do you guys think the best set up would be so that i get on and off power steering for this part of the track as you might tell i have to back off quite a bit before the sweeper due to alot of understeer i am using th standard setup nut i have recently bought the front ball diff to see how that goes! If there is a setup on mytsn that you guys think that would work that would be great
nice track there....how long is that straight? The infield seems to be real tight. i guess the ball diff would really do good here. seems to be the brake gonna be used quite often. steering is important...try softer front shore or equal like 40/40 or 37/40...medium grip. i am using like this and it works for me coz our infield is tight too but our straight is around 200ft. i need lots of steering and brakes...i use initial brake on neutral throttle.works for me. i am still testing though. im using 37F/40R white F/yellow R springs
i hope someone else gonna share a thing or two here.

Last edited by jfc_tech; 05-01-2004 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Second time around

Originally posted by kreidel
I decided to give the 710 another try to see if I could make it work for me. Unfortuntely the race was called tonight due to rain so I have to wait another week and see what happens. I bought this one used but had to go through it completely due to the original owner doing such a piss poor job building it the first time. He did not even line the shock caps up to fit right with the nub....that might explain what I had to work with. Luckily I had some knowledge from the first one so I was able to get it into shape fairly painlessly.

Hey Kevin ,good luck again , but if you dont like it , you know that i will buy it !!
Old 05-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Mission accomplished!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!

Finally got to the circuit to test/run-in my 710 After the minor hickup of forgetting to pack my fuel (I've been driving electric too much ) I set about doing my run-in with quite a bit of WOT Lots of nice oil spurting out of the exhaust. Didn't take long before the engine would turn-over without the pistion providing too much resistance when turning th flywheel

Onto the track without the body shell on - instantly it was obvious that this car handles!!!!! I could keep my lines tighter and the car basically did what I asked it to do
My track is pretty difficult to drive with a one-way, but with the 710, breaking is much easier to achieve than with the 705, although I still need to be careful not to rotate it with too much break dialed-in.
As most have said (and as the track is still slippery) there is a bit of understeer in the car, but nothing major and seeing as how the circuit has very little grip, I was surprised how little understeer was aparent. I was getting great grip coming out of the long left-hander onto the main straight and boy, going into the left-right flick at the end of the 90kmh straight, wow! the tail flicks out, the car gets sideways due to the bumps in the middle of the corner and then it just pulls itself back together even when I got a bit scared and lifted off the throttle. After the little fright, I kept the finger firmly pressed through the flick and each time, the car got sideways, but then corrected itself - fantastic!!!!!!!

In terms of tyre wear and grip levels - fantastic! After four full tanks, the tyres had only lost 1,5mm diameter! I was using the 0,5mm split which Julius advised and like he found, the tyre wear was pretty equall front to back and still gave a nice overdrive pull from the front. Next I'll try equal sized tyres front and back to see how that affects the acceleration out of the corners.

Unfortunately the rain which was forcast came I was at first confused why the 710 started spinning badly under breaking and I wacked the right front quite heavily against a barrier - bent the rim, but no other damage! no weaknesses hear - I had feared the worst after some of the reports of the 710 falling to bits so easily this isn't my experience!

After this, rain really did stop play - but I've accumulated enough experience with the car now that I know that this is a gaint leap forward in comparison to the 705

With regards the 2106 engine......WOW!
So easy to tune and loads of power/torque. With the 705 I had a "standard" SX 12 Novamega and that thing was so hard to tune - you simply couldn't tell when it was four-stroking or running lean. With the 2106 - dead easy. When the engine setup isn't right, you can hear it and the engine doesn't respond well - but when you tune it into the "zone" it sounds fantastic and responds accordingly!

Now what am I going to do with my 705? Hmmm, the difference between the 710 and the 705 is too great to go back (you were right Julius! ) I don't see the 705 getting much use now.

I just hoping now that the rain clears up and I can get onto the circuit again tomorrow, to do some more testing without having to keep overtaking those dreadful 1:5 cars

A couple of post testing pictures to show that the car has been driven
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-afterrun1.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Second pic!

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-afterrun2.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What is this "KTM" engine everyone is talking about?? What makes it so great?
Finally finished breaking in my car last weekend our tiny little LHS track. All I have to say is WOW! I haven't driven on-road in two years and the car was handling great. All I can say is even with the little experience I have with this car, it really seems to out perform the NTC3 I had before! Not to mention I had a NovaMega SX12 in my NTC3 and it doesn't even come close to my 710 with the NS12S3 in it. Just breaking my engine in and using about half thottle down our tiny straight and boy was my 710 really moving compared to this other guy who had a another car with a Rossi Pixxy in it and he was going full out and he was going just as fast as I was and I wasn't even trying!! Not to mention I was using the kit tires. I chuncked one of the rear tires when I went over the curb on the straight I was wondering why the car started to behave differently, I guess when your missing a large portion of foam on one tire that will affect handling. Can't wait to get back out there when I get a bit more time and actually start playing with the car and the suspension. Never driven a oneway before, but even on our small track I loved the way it performed. I think I'm going to get a front ball diff and give that a try, probably far better suited for my track.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Hey SupermaxxRich, we seem to have twin reports Your experience are identical to mine! What a car, eh?
My track is also pretty slippy at the moment and probably I'd be better off with a diff at the front - hmm, something to think about

As for the KTM, ehm, actually it is KHM
KHM are the initals of Karl-Heinz Meister - he's an the ex-German 1:8th national champion and a real genius with engines. There is are special edition engines available from Novamax which have been hand finished by KHM and are given his initials.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by markp27
As for the KTM, ehm, actually it is KHM
KHM are the initals of Karl-Heinz Meister - he's an the ex-German 1:8th national champion and a real genius with engines. There is are special edition engines available from Novamax which have been hand finished by KHM and are given his initials.

Cheers, Mark.
I guess you mean NovaMega?
Old 05-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Set up?

Originally posted by Voodo_Magic

Did you put your current setup on MyTSN? It's often easy to have a starting point. What bodyshell are you using?
Old 05-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Awesome car Mark! Ya Julius, I think I'm talking about the NovaMega KHM?? At least thats what I think everyone one here was talking about?? I thought that maybe KHM was a different material engine or something like that? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Julius
I guess you mean NovaMega?
*cough* ehm, my dislexia again thanks for the correction
Old 05-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Awesome car Mark!
you said it, matey!

Ya Julius, I think I'm talking about the NovaMega KHM?? At least thats what I think everyone one here was talking about?? I thought that maybe KHM was a different material engine or something like that? Thanks.
I can't find a description for the 2.11cc engine, but here's one for the 3.5cc variant:

http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=3153

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by markp27
Second pic!

Cheers, Mark.
very nice !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.