Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Wheelbase Question...

Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, how much further movement in total distance can the front wheels move forward and backward for the belt tension? What about the rear?
D, don't kill me if I misunderstood you, but your Q implies that you would move the front wheels while changing the excentric bushing's position in the bulkhead, but you are only changing the position of the acctual one-way and the pulley, correct? The belt tension and the angle of the dogbones will change slightly but this will be the only effect... Tires stay where they are...
Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
You are right on the money with both your statements D, funny how this correlates with my own observations.
No wonder somebody cleared the NovaMax engine stock !
Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Smile

Yea Motorman,
Serpent has a lighten clutch bell #909513 for the centax ll clutch.
So, it will only be natural for them to do the same for the centax lll.

lighten clutch bell
Old 11-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Wheelbase Question...

Originally posted by fmolzer
D, don't kill me if I misunderstood you, but your Q implies that you would move the front wheels while changing the excentric bushing's position in the bulkhead, but you are only changing the position of the acctual one-way and the pulley, correct? The belt tension and the angle of the dogbones will change slightly but this will be the only effect... Tires stay where they are...
Right said Fred !! I guess the wheels remain the same position.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Motorman
D
if you look closley you will see the bell is vented or at least it appears to be, i've built some of these for my brand X cars and the weight of the bell goes way down. its one of the heaviest spinning pieces.next to the flywheel, you can also vent the push plate. I generally vent the bell with long slots
Yes, like what PUNISHER mentioned, it looks like the same clutchbell as the one in Centax II. I'm hoping that they are the same actually...

I don't know how much drilling you did for the brand X car but Serpent mentioned that the reduction in weight for the lightened clutchbell option is about 10% only. But I actually like the idea that the clutchbell gets cooled better with the vents more than anything else.

Yeah, venting the push plate is a good idea. I think Art Carbonnel drills swiss cheese holes at the back of the clutchshoe to make it lighter too.

But there was mentioned that the 710 will NOT come with the lightened clutchbell?

Rene, can you confirm this?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Some people I know don't run a push plate on the clutch shoes. To my surprise it works!!

D,
From the 710 picture of the new centax lll clutch it dose look like they will have a lighten clutch bell. However, we all won't know for sure until they put an image gallery for the 710 or until the first batch arrives.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Some people I know don't run a push plate on the clutch shoes. To my surprise it works!!
Who might that be? I think the end float needs to be reset if you do not run the push plate. You need more shims either behind of the flywheel of the front of the clutchbell.

Originally posted by PUNISHER
D,
From the 710 picture of the new centax lll clutch it dose look like they will have a lighten clutch bell. However, we all won't know for sure until they put an image gallery for the 710 or until the first batch arrives.
Yup. But I remember the pics posted at http://www.gasrccar.com/serpent710.html mentioned that the lightened clutchbell would not be inlcuded in the kit and would be an optional part. I guess we have to wait for the kit to come. Perhaps we should use our magical persuasion powers on Julius, Rene, Michael and gang in Holland to sneak in the goodies !
Old 11-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default MS PLEASE RESPOND!!!

well i'm a die hard SERPENT FAN. tried pretty much everything from serpents except 1:8th. recently switched to MTX-3 because i felt that my 705 was little sluggish. Now. i have brand spanking new MRX-3 Works kit on my hands for a great deal. and i'm thinking about selling it while it's new and go back to serpent.. 950-R. now.. the question is.. will there be a new 1:8th scale car from Serpent?
i mean, if there's a new version with upgrade kit, i'll be happy with it. but a new car? let me know asap please~ i have a guy who wants to pay $500 for my works kit waiting.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default 950R

Since Serpent released the 950R just 2 months ago, I think this will be their platform for the next season, no logic in releasing a new car and then a new platform just a couple of months later. Sell the Mugen !
Old 11-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

yeah.. that's what i'm thinking as well.. but i guess i wanted to hear it from the mouth of "THE" MS. :-)
Old 11-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yup. But I remember the pics posted at http://www.gasrccar.com/serpent710.html mentioned that the lightened clutchbell would not be inlcuded in the kit and would be an optional part. I guess we have to wait for the kit to come. Perhaps we should use our magical persuasion powers on Julius, Rene, Michael and gang in Holland to sneak in the goodies !
MichaelS already noted that the clutch bell IS different, so we will not be able to use our lightened versions. Hell, the only reason I even had the lightened version is because it came with a used kit I bought.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Great work serpent!

Time to save some money... Damn Euros getting really hot now... No indication of kit price from LHS... double damn..

1 question about the 710 - i'm not sure if this has been asked earlier in this thread, sorry - the new kit was designed with a lot of "racing" factors in mind, like, weight saving, Low CG and stuff that's necessary and what's not... question is, why not the laid down throttle/brake servos? just like the 950R and trinity G4?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by AJunkie_02
why not the laid down throttle/brake servos? just like the 950R and trinity G4?
Junkie, there was a lot of discussions on that in the 705 / 710 thread.

If I remember half of the discussion, the laydown throttle servo does make only very little difference in the CG as it is situated very close to the engine which is much heavier in comparison. 1 or 2 mm difference in the engine height will give you a lot of difference in CG on the other hand.

For the front, one of the heaviest part is the steering servo. Hence laying this down in the front will affect the CG greatly.

I hope I got it correct. If not, hit me in the head !
Old 11-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Wow!

Looks like the 710 is the best thing that ever happened to the 950/950R.

I can't wait to see the 710 hit the track.......although i'll keep my MTX-3's.

I have never felt that the current crop of new nitro tourers like the R-40, G4, LD3, etc. were a real threat, but the 710 is scary.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Junkie, there was a lot of discussions on that in the 705 / 710 thread.

If I remember half of the discussion, the laydown throttle servo does make only very little difference in the CG as it is situated very close to the engine which is much heavier in comparison. 1 or 2 mm difference in the engine height will give you a lot of difference in CG on the other hand.

For the front, one of the heaviest part is the steering servo. Hence laying this down in the front will affect the CG greatly.

I hope I got it correct. If not, hit me in the head !
Hey D,

thanks for the reply.. i'm gonna be a little more pain in the @$$ with the next question... if it has little difference in the CG, why do it on the 950-R? isn't the little bit of tuning does help sometimes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.