Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by InitialD
I did remember Julius or some team driver (Art Carbonnel) mentioning about it at mytsn. If I'm not wrong, you only use it when the conditions are very bumpy. Else do not use it. The upstop is set just enough to prevent the chassis from bottoming out.

Like what you say, it makes the suspension do weird things. The shocks hit infinity when the upstop screws are met.

BTW, there are no upstop screws on the 710 if anyone is interested. Just the front.
Never noticed that until now. well I asked mainly because in my r40 I started with a default setup just like haras and he did used them and actualy I felt the handling really good , but never new exactly what impact in handling the upstops did since I did a lot of changes at once when I put them.

Also about the hudy set up station do you guys recomend moding it , or just moving it around
Old 03-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rodrigo1508
Never noticed that until now. well I asked mainly because in my r40 I started with a default setup just like haras and he did used them and actualy I felt the handling really good , but never new exactly what impact in handling the upstops did since I did a lot of changes at once when I put them.
Don't know about the R40. I guess it's a funny car. But this is what Art Carbonnel has to say about upstops;

Travel Stops
One of the biggest things I’ve found that people do wrong with the Impulse, and it’s in the instructions, is to use the rear up-stops on the bottom arm. That’s the worst thing you can do to this car. It just limits the travel of the suspension too much, and instead of using your suspension, you effectively end up driving a pan car. This is especially true when the car leans to one side during cornering. The suspension bottoms out, and the car spins out. I prefer to let the chassis hit the ground, so you can get the full amount of suspension.

Think of it this way – you can use the travel stops to limit the car from moving straight up and straight down, but consider what happens when the car leans, especially if it hits a bump while it’s leaning. In these cases, the travel stops hit the limits way too early, and prevent the suspension from working properly. Even if the chassis hits the ground, the car can still lean somewhat, which it can’t if the travel stops are at their limit. The travel stops take away the ability of the chassis to lean that little bit further in a turn.

Originally posted by rodrigo1508
Also about the hudy set up station do you guys recomend moding it , or just moving it around
After a lot of finding and looking up, I finally found the post of Fernando_M who posted this pic below of how he modded his Hudy gauges with the dremel to make it work with the 710. I did not do this but I'm still able to access the arms and the pivot balls by moving the rear arms and rotate the prism gauges a little.

p/s: Mark, perhaps you want to add this to the FAQ.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

I'm on it Sir! Bit late for you, isn't it D? Can't sleep?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default 710faq.pdf

The latest update of the 710faq from markp27 is now on my website http://www.markanddebbie.net select Serpent 710 from the menu and scroll down to the link on the right of the page easier than trolling back over previous threads.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

Mark I live in Holland near the coast where the weathers sucks bigtime and it's allways cold. I must drive about 1 1/5 hour to get to the nearest track.

Our closest decent lhs is a 2 hour drive so that's why I use onlineshops 'cause I only ride my triumph ( 2 wheels ) and I don't have a license to drive a big car only small ones though )
Old 03-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty lucky in that respect! Here in Germany there are 4 excellent tracks all within 45 mins of me, but none of which have been driveable uptil now due to snow
My LHS is also 45 mins away and has a good selection of goods - but when I need something quickly I send off my order to holland
Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up Initial D

Iam going to try again tonight...

thank you for your explantion, very help full !,

BTW, do you think it is posible to get a -x mm for the end play? is so then what do you do? (dumb question NM)

you also mentioned that a poorly tuned engine will not be responsive. well my engine ... when I try to shut it off by blocking the exhaust , takes forever to die. (more than 10 secs)

does this mean It is too rich and I need to lean it out? then engine (sirrio) was broken in but it is a new engine.

thanks, do you know what are the "stock" neddle setting?
I turned 1.5 turns on the low end and 3 on the main needle.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Julius
We'll I true them to 63.5 in the rear and 63 in front to start at the moment, and run them to 56mm and that takes about 50 - 55 minutes on our track that is quite abrasive.

I change left to right about halfway, If you don't you're looking at about 45 minutes before the outside get's too small. You could of course reset the ride height and run them a little smaller but That is not something I want to do as it would compromise the objective of the test (finding a setup that works with big and small tires)
Julius, are they worn down evenly, so both front and rear are @56mm at the end? What do you think about a little higher OD ratio, say 0.5mm larger front tires? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default One-piece engine mounts for 710

just to let you know there in again
the wannahave of 2004
http://shop.the-border.nl/customer/p...roductid=19603
Old 03-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default InitialD what do you think of this body?

Last edited by Marcos.J; 03-18-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: COOL!

Originally posted by markp27
Just received my order from those nice guys at www.the-border.nl - super quick service!!!!!

Here's a pic of my new bits
part 1462...whats that for?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Herbie
Mark I live in Holland near the coast where the weathers sucks bigtime and it's allways cold. I must drive about 1 1/5 hour to get to the nearest track.
Scheveningen? Woow, nice to live by the coast !

Originally posted by Herbie
Our closest decent lhs is a 2 hour drive so that's why I use onlineshops 'cause I only ride my triumph ( 2 wheels ) and I don't have a license to drive a big car only small ones though )
You could get a Smarties car or else get some good exercise like what Mark does. Cycle ! I'm sure the Dutch can do that...
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: InitialD what do you think of this body?

Time to kick ass !
Old 03-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: One-piece engine mounts for 710

Originally posted by border r/c
just to let you know there in again
the wannahave of 2004
http://shop.the-border.nl/customer/p...roductid=19603
I remember reading somewhere about team Mugen using this in the MRX-3 at the 1/8th WC last year. What advantage can the one piece engine mount do?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: COOL!

Originally posted by cyba888
part 1462...whats that for?
Look up mytsn / products ! Tightening the Centax pre-tension nut and tightening the brass pressure nipple on the tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.