Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 710 vs 705

How does the 710 drive compared to the 705.
What are the natural tendencies of the car?
Does it have more steering, rear traction, transition speed?
Is it a big improvement over the 705?
I'm gonna buy it anyway, just wanna know.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Will the Novak XXTRA Synthesized FM receiver fit in the transimiter holder on the 710? The receiver's size is 1.65" x 1.12" x 0.51".
Old 03-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by wolfejohne
Will the Novak XXTRA Synthesized FM receiver fit in the transimiter holder on the 710? The receiver's size is 1.65" x 1.12" x 0.51".
Yes, it fits fine. I still cut the holder on mine a little to get easy access to the channel adjustment screws.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the Reply Proficar403
Old 03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I finally got my 710. It took so long to get here I converted my Impulse to a 705. Much better handling than the Impulse. But anyway, what are the common parts that break on the 710? And how can you tell if the kit I got has the updated parts in it?

Thanks Roy
Old 03-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Rear Shock Tower (802301)

Originally posted by InitialD
The revised rear shock tower is 3.5 mm thick and not 4 mm as mentioned earlier. The old one has a thickness of 2.5 mm. Same part number as the old one but the difference is that it has new cut outs.

The bottom rear shock tower in the picture is the newer revision.

Putting them one on top of the other, I also noticed that the rear body post mounts are slightly lower than the old one.
Hello D,
I took a quick measurement at my LHS and it's less than 3.5, closer to 3mm. Do you think it will help much against breakage? My point is that even if it is 4or5mm, the tower design is still "long" enough for torsional forces to snap it. I saw some mods using X-Ray parts. Which do you think is better? Thanks.
Did you hear when the "strengthend" 710 version will be available?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Congrats on the new 710 RoyU!!
The 710 is a totally new design nitro 200mm car from Serpent that they put a lot of thought into. Its easer to work on and a hell of lot more tunable features on it!! The upgraded parts are supposed to be thicker and stronger with some new composite plastic then the originals. Saying that the only way to tell from the original from the upgrade parts will be comparing them to each other…..witch the upgrade parts aren’t available. The original shock tower is 2mm think while the upgrade shock tower is 3.5mm as InitialD mention. So, it will be hard to tell if you got the original parts or the upgrade parts in the kit since they are not available yet…..only the rear shock tower for now.

As for parts to stock up I would suggest to get upper and lower bumper plates, steering blocks (L&R), and some lower rear arms. I’ve raced my 710 a coulpe of times and only having bumper plates cracking/breaking.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
InitialD is probably your best bet for this question - he'll be online soon enough
I think Sow&Steady and crashed_1 are the right people to ask. I have not modded mine to take the Lola shell yet. Perhaps it's a cue to get those guys to post pictures of their "clean" cars instead !
Old 03-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by clmbia45
Take a close look-I bet he's using lithium batteries, and has an auxillary fuel tank in the battery space!

Don't forget the NOS bottle !
Old 03-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Re: Rear Shock Tower (802301)

Originally posted by TitaniumR
Hello D,
I took a quick measurement at my LHS and it's less than 3.5, closer to 3mm. Do you think it will help much against breakage? My point is that even if it is 4or5mm, the tower design is still "long" enough for torsional forces to snap it. I saw some mods using X-Ray parts. Which do you think is better? Thanks.
I’m double an X-ray CF rear shock tower with the 710’s. You will have to drimel out some holes for the shock positions on the X-ray CF shock tower. A fellow racer is using a composite plastic X-ray rear shock tower. A little mod to the plastic shock tower will work perfectly on the 710.

I’m also surprise that Serpent didn’t go to 4mm rear shock tower for it's double as the rear body support.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by clmbia45
Carefully check the rear inner corner of the servo after installation, for clearance.
Did you already put shims on top of midle bracket?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
Not sure how it works with the WC - if it is by invitation only, but it you want that WC feeling, I think you could do worse than going to the Winternats in florida next year - it is affectively a mini-WC.
World Championships are by invitation only. 200mm only has 70 spots available. You need to qualify within the top X places (depends on how many places your block has) within your IFMAR block to receive a posibility of going. You do this by running at country level and block level championship events. Each block gets 30 places (I think) and the FEMCA block gets 10 or 20. These are shared between 235mm and 200mm unlike 1/8th scale. It is truely elite competition.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by RoyU
I finally got my 710.
Yeah, finally ! Phew.

It took so long to get here I converted my Impulse to a 705. Much better handling than the Impulse.
Are you referring to 710 better than Impulse or 705 better than Impulse? You got your conversion set from Serpent USA?

But anyway, what are the common parts that break on the 710? And how can you tell if the kit I got has the updated parts in it?
I think this was covered before? Did you look in the FAQ? Parts that commonly break are the front upper and lower bumper, the rear lower arms and perhaps the knuckles and pivot balls.

Your 2nd question is a good one. I guess it would depend on where you get your stocks from. I notice that the distribution channel in US is a little slow. Old parts are still in circulation and new parts get in slow. This is the feedback I get. Over here, we get our stuff about as quick as they guys in Holland gets. At most, it's about 1 to 2 weeks apart.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Rear Shock Tower (802301)

Perhaps you're measuring the older 2.5 mm (which is closer to 3 mm) rear shock tower... The newer one indeed is 3.5 mm. You could tell by the different cut out pattern holes in the new rear shock tower. If you ask me, the older one had better cut out design !

XRay Raycer rear shock tower is plastic and should take a better beating than the older 2.5 mm rear shock tower. I need to test the new rear 3.5 mm shock tower out to be able to tell if it's better and more rugged.

No idea about the strengthened 710 will be available or if ever there was a need for it. Like Punisher mentioned, I only broke the front upper and lower bumper. The better plastic quality updates would be incorporated in the newer kits I guess...
Old 03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Rear Shock Tower (802301)

Originally posted by PUNISHER
I’m also surprise that Serpent didn’t go to 4mm rear shock tower for it's double as the rear body support.
I guess if it was any thicker, you need to change the screws that mount the shocks and the rear shock tower. As it is, the stock screw lenghts are just enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.