Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Well, I've decided to purchase the 710! Can't wait to get it! Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the Front Diff for the 710? Also, what is the largest battery pack for the 710 and where I can I get that as well? Thanks. Please let me know soon as I would like to get these items ordered asap!! Will the 710 work with the Ofna Starter Box?
If you are in Europe then www.rccarinternational.com has the biggest selection of serpent goods (they are right next to the factory, I believe).
Battery packs can be made by yourself, if you are competent with soldering - otherwise there is a battery pack available from serpent (they are AAA re-chargeable types). Have a look on the mytsn website under the 710 product page, there is probably some info regarding the battery pack.

Not sure about the starter box.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Here's the link to the serpent battery pack:

http://www.mytsn.com/products/product.asp?prid=2808
Old 02-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I've decided to purchase the 710! Can't wait to get it! Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the Front Diff for the 710? Also, what is the largest battery pack for the 710 and where I can I get that as well? Thanks. Please let me know soon as I would like to get these items ordered asap!! Will the 710 work with the Ofna Starter Box?
I believe the Ofna should work with the 710. Was it InitialD who has one that works with the 710??
Old 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

NICE! im sure you will like it alot.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by markp27
710 has winternats 1 and 2 places on the 200mm grid!

http://www.mytsn.com/news/publ.asp?pid=9604
Good to know the 710 is in the top spot
Old 02-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Tyre truing

Does anyone know if it is better to run new tyres a few laps before cutting them to size with a tyre truer - i.e. breaking tyres in?
Running it on a truer already "breaks-in" the tire !

You do not need to run in the tires on the track before cutting them down on the truer.

@D: What was the rule with the droop regarding using full sized tyres?
Full size tires are like 66 mm if I'm not mistaken. The kit stock setup recommends 62 mm at 6 mm front / rear ride height with 0 front and 7 rear droop. If you use 66 mm, set the car to 6 mm ride height for the front and rear as per the stock setup and decrease the front and rear droop by 2 (66-62 = 4, 4/2 = 2). So you should use +2 front and +9 in the rear when you use new out of the box uncut tires with 6 mm ride height.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
I believe the Ofna should work with the 710. Was it InitialD who has one that works with the 710??
No. I use the 1400 Serpent Starter box. I wish I had the newer grey one though...
Old 02-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the Front Diff for the 710?
You can try the border located in Holland or Mark's link to RCCarinternational also in Holland.

Also, what is the largest battery pack for the 710 and where I can I get that as well? Thanks.
markp27 posted the link for you. That's rated 730 mAH though. GP and Sanyo has 800 mAH cells though but like Mark says, you can build one if you're competent in soldering. GP just came out with 850 mAH I believe. Else, I would strongly suggest to ask some shop or someone who is very competent at soldering to make the receiver pack for you after you get the AAA batteries. Spot welding is the best.

Will the 710 work with the Ofna Starter Box?
It surely can. You need to make some adjustments on the mounting.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
You can try the border located in Holland or Mark's link to RCCarinternational also in Holland.
I'm not at all impressed with the Border shop - they ignored my emails about a price for the 710. Plus I sent a PM to the guy from the Border who posts here - nothing!
If this is the pre-sales service, I don't even want to know what the after-sales service wuold be like!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Tyre truing

Originally posted by InitialD

Full size tires are like 66 mm if I'm not mistaken. The kit stock setup recommends 62 mm at 6 mm front / rear ride height with 0 front and 7 rear droop. If you use 66 mm, set the car to 6 mm ride height for the front and rear as per the stock setup and decrease the front and rear droop by 2 (66-62 = 4, 4/2 = 2). So you should use +2 front and +9 in the rear when you use new out of the box uncut tires with 6 mm ride height.
Thanks! the /2 is due to the need to correct the radius of the tyre and not the diameter
Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Im still confused as to what "droop" means. If it has anything to do with how low the arms move, wether its up or down then it would be the same as ride height? How do you measure droop, with a ride height guage?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Prophet

I'm not at all impressed with the Border shop - they ignored my emails about a price for the 710. Plus I sent a PM to the guy from the Border who posts here - nothing!
If this is the pre-sales service, I don't even want to know what the after-sales service wuold be like!!!
Ummm, if I'm not wrong, didn't the "excellent" after sales service about the tire truer meant anything at all?

Well perhaps after that "incident", he decided that you were jinked and that he did not want to do business with you anymore !

But heck, I now try to avoid EU online shops. I mean the the exchange rate is simply sick. The US dollar going down is not helping !
Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Tyre truing

Thanks! the /2 is due to the need to correct the radius of the tyre and not the diameter
That is correct.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
Im still confused as to what "droop" means. If it has anything to do with how low the arms move, wether its up or down then it would be the same as ride height? How do you measure droop, with a ride height guage?
You measure droop with a droop gauge. Droop and ride height are two different things. You could also use a caliper if you want but you need to understand how droop is measured in the first place.

This is what the Serpent 710 setup book has got to say about droop or what they also call downstops...

Downstops limit how far the suspension arms travel downward, which determines how far upwards the chassis rises. This affects the car’s handling, as it directly impacts the weight transfer of the chassis. The effect may change with the type of track and/or amount of grip available.

In general, more suspension travel (lower downstop value) makes the car more responsive but less stable; it is also typically better on a bumpy track or on a track with slow corners. Less suspension travel (higher downstop value) makes the car more stable; it is typically better on a smooth track.

Reduced downstops (higher downstop value)
• decreases upward chassis travel
• car more stable under braking
• better on smooth tracks

Increased downstops (lower downstop value)
• increases upward chassis travel
• car more responsive but less stable
• better on bumpy tracks

IMPORTANT! Adjust the downstops so the left and right sides are equal.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Tech Prophet

For those running rubber tires, you never need to worry about changing droop as rubber tires never wear !

For foam tires, ride height changes when tire wears and when you change the ride height to accomodate this tires wear, you need to reset and compensate the droop accordingly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.