Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

the h17 grub screw from the brake pulley adapter is missing. i think that might be the problem.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroMaxx3.3
the h17 grub screw from the brake pulley adapter is missing. i think that might be the problem.
That would be it . Don't forget to use locktite on the new one.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

should i use red or blue locktite on that screw?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Blue
Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

RoyU is right. Blue is the way to go.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default Possessed Serpent 710

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I purchased a Serpent 710. The car is in very good shape. I've spent a lot of time setting up the car as specified in the assembly drawings and setup manual. I've checked for chassis tweak and anything else that was mentioned.

I have a couple of problems:
1st. The car does an immediate 180 when braking. I replaced the one way front axle with a diff. No change.

2nd. The car is very unstable under acceleration. Sometimes does a 360 and other times surves violently, even after the car is up to speed not just from a takeoff.

The car is setup as described in the back of the setup manual.

Does anyone know what could cause this violent behavior.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CHECK THE FRONT AND REAR DOGBONES MOST OF THE TIME THAT THE CAR IS UNSTABLE DURING ACCELARATION IS BECAUSE OF THE DOGBONES OR TRACK WIDTH I HAD A 710 AND THE CAR IS AWESOME I HAVE NO COMPLAINTSON THE CAR
Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AnthonyN
Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I purchased a Serpent 710. The car is in very good shape. I've spent a lot of time setting up the car as specified in the assembly drawings and setup manual. I've checked for chassis tweak and anything else that was mentioned.

1st. The car does an immediate 180 when braking. I replaced the one way front axle with a diff. No change.

2nd. The car is very unstable under acceleration. Sometimes does a 360 and other times surves violently, even after the car is up to speed not just from a takeoff.

Did you evenly balance the car left to right on the front and rear shocks? Also make sure the rear ball diff is tightened properly.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Q-B0R0 B0MBER
CHECK THE FRONT AND REAR DOGBONES MOST OF THE TIME THAT THE CAR IS UNSTABLE DURING ACCELARATION IS BECAUSE OF THE DOGBONES OR TRACK WIDTH I HAD A 710 AND THE CAR IS AWESOME I HAVE NO COMPLAINTSON THE CAR
The dogbones are in good shape and the motion is good. I did have to pull the front trackwidth in a couple of millimeters because I was loosing a dogbone after installing the front ball diff. However, it was out of control before I changed the track width.

I know about how good the t10 is, that's why I bought one. I just wish I could figure out what;s wrong with this one.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Did you evenly balance the car left to right on the front and rear shocks? Also make sure the rear ball diff is tightened properly.
I not sure what you mean by evenly balance left to right on the front and rear shocks!

I made sure the width was 200mm, 100mm/side. So both sides of the car are equal. The shocks are the same length on each side. I checked the car for chassis tweak and corrected it using the opposite corner technique. I set the downstops to front=0 and rear=6.

The diff is NOT real tight but it feels good. No binding and real smooth. I just added a ball diff to the front and that didn't help the braking problem at all.

As far as I know I've done everything by the book. So, I'm really confused.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just wanted to make a post, I have two 710's for sale, both with low number of races, good motors, bearings and pipes. A bunch of tires with them, selling all as a package, no reasonable offer refused, pm me for detail.

Sorry, but I wasn't getting much love in the for sale thread

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...27#post4206727
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I not sure what you mean by evenly balance left to right on the front and rear shocks!

I made sure the width was 200mm, 100mm/side. So both sides of the car are equal. The shocks are the same length on each side. I checked the car for chassis tweak and corrected it using the opposite corner technique. I set the downstops to front=0 and rear=6.

The diff is NOT real tight but it feels good. No binding and real smooth. I just added a ball diff to the front and that didn't help the braking problem at all.

As far as I know I've done everything by the book. So, I'm really confused.
I meant balancing the car out or tweaking the car on the coilovers by turning the spring collars so the car lifts the left and right tires off the ground at the same time when lifted in the middle on the front and rear axle. I had a Impulse that was not setup at all. It spun out on accel and did a 180 when braking because the alignment and tweak were way off. I assume you are using a setup board and alignment jigs.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I meant balancing the car out or tweaking the car on the coilovers by turning the spring collars so the car lifts the left and right tires off the ground at the same time when lifted in the middle on the front and rear axle. I had a Impulse that was not setup at all. It spun out on accel and did a 180 when braking because the alignment and tweak were way off. I assume you are using a setup board and alignment jigs.
Yes, I've checked for tweak. Both tires on the front and rear lift together. I used the "opposite corner" technique. If the left rear lifted first I adjusted the right front, etc.

All I have is an Integy setup station. It doesn't have anything specifically for tweak. I am checking tweak on a hard flat surface. So I know my toe/camber/castor is adjusted correctly.

My 710 is doing exactly what your impact did. Spinning out under power and 180's when braking. I can't believe that I'm that far off with the setup.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Hello,

Follow the set up steps in your set up book completely and in the order that they are listed. Since you are new to the 710 use the Section A Basic set up.
If you have lost the booklet you can download it at this link http://www.serpent.com/product/802000/downloads/

In many cases everything goes real well until the front and rear anti sway bars are attached. Pay very close attention to the eccentric that is used for the front sway bars so it does not tweak the car and make sure you adjust the rear sway bar links so they will not tweak the car when they are connected.

All suspension arms should move freely with no binding. All belts and pullies should be in good condition with no missing teeth. The tires should be somewhat fresh and not dried out.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Doug M
Follow the set up steps in your set up book completely and in the order that they are listed. Since you are new to the 710 use the Section A Basic set up.
If you have lost the booklet you can download it at this link http://www.serpent.com/product/802000/downloads/

In many cases everything goes real well until the front and rear anti sway bars are attached. Pay very close attention to the eccentric that is used for the front sway bars so it does not tweak the car and make sure you adjust the rear sway bar links so they will not tweak the car when they are connected.

All suspension arms should move freely with no binding. All belts and pullies should be in good condition with no missing teeth. The tires should be somewhat fresh and not dried out.

Good luck!
OK, I will go back over all settings. I did use the default setup from the setup manual but maybe I missed something.

So, I guess by your advise that I have a setup issue. Is there any part on the car that could be broke or partially broke that could cause this instability during acceleration and braking?

I will take a close look at tweak with and without anti roll bars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.