Wiki Posts
Search

Mid-level 4wd Electric Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mid-level 4wd Electric Buggy?

There doesn't seem to be many of these in existence. I only know of the Kyosho Readyset one, and that's it. I'm looking for something that's above the HPI Brama 10b and below the Hot Bodies D4. Something for bashing.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tamiya (Durga), Yokomo (B-Max) and HPI (Cyclone C-10) all make good "club racer" 4wds, and with a few mods can compete at the highest levels (Cyclone-C10 is not out just yet).

All of these fit in a price range between the buggies you mentioned, though I'm not sure that they're really aimed at the "basher" market.

Tamiya's DF-03 buggies also make good bashers if you're not too interested in racing.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Tech Master

^^ Yeah, the Tamiya DB-01 Durga or DF-03 Dark Impact (or Keen Hawk) are good mid-level cars. Easy to drive out of the box (so a few friends have told me), and there are a LOT of hop-up's that can put them up close to the big boys when you want to. I'm getting one for my boy soon.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

305 gets ya a b44 though.

R
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A hopped up Durga is more than capable of competing at minimum on the regional level. Even out of the box with stock shocks it can be competitve on the club level.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

id say get the b44. its really good and if you want to get a new kit, you'll have one of the best.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Man, bashing and 4wd 1/10 buggy are 2 terms that you dont usually hear in the same sentence.

really if you want a RTR basher I think I would go with the brama for many reasons.

it's hpi so parts availability wont be an issue, which IS important since 4wd buggies are brittle in the front end no matter what brand they are.

It's HPI so you know there will be tons of upgrades available

No hassle gear diffs, perfect for the basher crowd.

and for the price tag you could afford to put a novak havok BL system in it and still come out equall to the cost of a B44 Kit.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

oh wow, didnt see that part. yes bashing and 4wd elec bugs dont mix!!!
why many folks run 4wd infrequently is b/c they are on the fragile side.

R
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
sac
Tech Regular

Check out the Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XB electric 4wd RTR buggy.
They even have a brushless version coming.I have seen the brushed version and its made well and goes well too.The only thing i would change would be the solid camber links to adjustable links.
The chassie is based of the AE tc-3.So it has solid chassie to start with.
There is A 4wd truck version coming soon.

check out www.thundertiger.com for more info or
www.evolutionhobbies.com
www.evolutionrcraceway.com track site

sac

Last edited by sac; 01-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Bashing and 4WD went hand-in-hand once upon a time. Boomerang, Big Wig, Hotshot, Supershot, Manta Ray. Ahhh the good old days.

But yes, these days most 4wd's are track orientated.

I mentioned the Tamiya's because they are the toughest cars I have seen, that can also get up some pace. That plastic they make them out of (ABS if I recall) means they flex and are heavy, so hence not as competitive on a track, but they are great cars nonetheless.

I only own race cars now, a B4 and XXX-4, and well, they are not good at all off a track!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow i'm glad i asked this before i bought one. What specifically makes the 4wd or race buggies bad for bashing though? The materials it's made out of? This isn't the same for 4wd stadium trucks and monster trucks is it? I have a an HPI nitro MT and that held up very well over the past 5 years.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Race buggies are made to be as light as possible, and do sacrifice strength for it. The idea is that they are made to go around specific tracks and don't get the usual kerb/bank/concrete wall treatment, and so can get away with lower overall strength. Lighter=faster.

Trucks like the T4 and XXX-T are a LOT tougher than their buggy bretheren, but again, not as strong as the Traxxas or Duratrax equivalent for the same reasons as above.

4wd race buggies aren't designed to break more than the 2wd's, it's just there are more parts, and they can turn/accelerate a lot faster (in most circumstances) which means they are likely to have higher impact crashes than 2wd's.

Also, Nitro's are generally a lot togher than electrics as they have beefier parts due to the greater power of the motor not being restricted by the vehicle weight.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cheezburger
Wow i'm glad i asked this before i bought one. What specifically makes the 4wd or race buggies bad for bashing though? The materials it's made out of? This isn't the same for 4wd stadium trucks and monster trucks is it? I have a an HPI nitro MT and that held up very well over the past 5 years.
well Knowing HPI's tougher than leather plastics from having owned a savage I really bet the brama would be one tough little buggy. I have been thinking about a 4wd buggy for my 12yrold to start with to get use to 4wd handling now that he drives his 2wd stuff better than I do, and I really think I will get one of the HPI's for him JUST because I know there plastics have always been tough.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/northwes...-sale-148.html

post 4413 is what you want