Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

tcmerf,

Your car looked pretty good for being out there for the first time Most of the guys ended up going with the red sway bar today (it seems like the way to go for the day) so you were on the right track. You might want to check the axle height of your car (most of the tamiya guys like Fred M. and David Jun check their droop setting at the axle height now) Fred suggested 24mm for the front and 25mm for the rear (measuring from the ground to the top of the axle). However, Fred warned me that if you're going to use this method, you have to make sure your camber is set correctly on each corner because camber angle can drastically affect axle height. We are measure the camber angle now off of the aluminum hex hubs (not off the wheel). Give that a try, it could the little bit of handling you're looking for

Steve Wang
Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, I'm finding my 415 has way too much steering for what I can use on our track. Causes the rear end to step out all the time. I've tried everything I can to dial it out but with no luck. Only one step left and thats to run different compound front to rear tyre compound (rubber).

Is anyone else running their cars on slippery ashpalt? Are you able to share your setup?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Steve, thnaks for the help yesterday. I did not have any kick up in the front so i added a small spacer like you suggested. I was thinking on the way home and the car acts like it is transfering to much weight back to front so i may try a little thicker oil as well. I was running the yellow Tamiya oil with 2 hole pistons. I am a little confused about the droop measurement though. by the way the lather works great, thanks again. The only bad thing is now i have to wait a whole week to try it out!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Lycan try this, tighten up your rear diff a bit more, i bet at the moment it spins quite freely. tighten it up till you get a more smoother tighter diff feeling this instantly cured my rear end skipping out
Old 07-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Also just got back from the reedy, Ben Cosgrove finished some awesome racing with a respectable 5th overall
Old 07-11-2004, 11:44 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there any race coverage?
Old 07-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

ok guys, I have a question. When I go to tighten my diff, I can turn the screw very easily, but I can just keep turning it, it will feel like it is getting tighter, then lossen, then tighten, then loosen (feeling), but the diff never tightens up. I take it apart, and the screw is fine, the nut isnt stripped, and the little plastic piece isnt stripped. I should be able to tighten it till I cant turn the screw any more (at least, I could on my other cars).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you sure the nut isn't rotating inside the plastic housing? That's what it sounds like it's doin to me. I've had that happen. Replace it. Next time, just tighten down the screw finger tight til you just feel it bottom out. Don't go any farther than that.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

@ Mike

maybe stupid point but :
make sure the ball thrust bearring is in the diff ......
Old 07-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by FastP
@ Mike

maybe stupid point but :
make sure the ball thrust bearring is in the diff ......
lol, ya man, it is in there
Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by KilRuf
Are you sure the nut isn't rotating inside the plastic housing? That's what it sounds like it's doin to me. I've had that happen. Replace it. Next time, just tighten down the screw finger tight til you just feel it bottom out. Don't go any farther than that.
I will try that, thanks
Old 07-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

how tight do yous run your diff?
mine is so that its on the verge of slipping but doesnt and slips the belt.
is this to tight/loose?
when i apply throttle out of corners the back spins.
i think i have to do it up tighter?
any advice appreciated.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by trf racer
when i apply throttle out of corners the back spins.
funny you mention this... yesterday... my car was doing the same thing. i didnt know what it was.. set up? tweak? i thought my belts were skipping.

then one of my teammates checked my car out...
"Chris! YOUR FRONT ONE WAY IS ON BACKWARDS!!!!"

[insert homer simpson] doh!!! [/insert homer simpson]

talk about a rookie mistake!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Hebiki
funny you mention this... yesterday... my car was doing the same thing. i didnt know what it was.. set up? tweak? i thought my belts were skipping.

then one of my teammates checked my car out...
"Chris! YOUR FRONT ONE WAY IS ON BACKWARDS!!!!"

[insert homer simpson] doh!!! [/insert homer simpson]

talk about a rookie mistake!

the instruction manual says to put the one way pully round the wrong way!
it wasnt that tho its the rear diff iam sure someone else here said their back end was unsettled and they tightened the diff and it was ok.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

oh and a big thanks must go to everyone who helped with some set-up advice a few pages back.
it relly helped.
THANK YOU
what a nice tamiya community we have here!
cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.