Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

alan. fernandos doing well with the 415 he said the cars awsome .his up their with the fast guys
Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Surikarn and his 415 will be at the preworlds on Sat......
Old 04-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 415

Hey Rod,

Thanks for the setup info...very much appreciated...

Have you tried the Mazda 6 body...compared to stratus 2.0? I have not run the stratus 2.0 in over a year, but I think the Mazda 6 might have more steering....

I noticed you have a higher than stock rear roll center with the 1mm spacers under the rear blocks, which likely is helping you get more steering. From your notes on the setup page, sounds like you could use a bit more onpower steering. You might want to add some rear antisquat or further increasing the rear roll center. Just a thought...

Book the flight today....soooo looking forward to this Reedy race...
Old 04-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: 415

Originally posted by Martin Crisp

I noticed you have a higher than stock rear roll center with the 1mm spacers under the rear blocks, which likely is helping you get more steering. From your notes on the setup page, sounds like you could use a bit more onpower steering. You might want to add some rear antisquat or further increasing the rear roll center. Just a thought...
Hi Rod has the rear blocks in the standard position. Rick
Old 04-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: 415

Originally posted by Martin Crisp
Hey Rod,

Thanks for the setup info...very much appreciated...

Have you tried the Mazda 6 body...compared to stratus 2.0? I have not run the stratus 2.0 in over a year, but I think the Mazda 6 might have more steering....

Book the flight today....soooo looking forward to this Reedy race...
Martin,
Wish you all the luck on Reedy if there is one Canadian who has the skills to make it to A main at the Reedy it would be you.
More power MPOWERED!!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hola,

Yeah I could use a "slight touch" of more onpower steering. It's a fine balance because if I go too far, the car won't feel comfortable in the inner right sweeper, setting up for the dog-leg/kink. When you get it wrong there, it's painful There are a couple things I can play with...

I tried some rear anti-squat a couple of weeks ago but it gave the car a little bit of a push coming out of corners It was a small difference and choose to go back to running the blocks even in the rear.

Also, the Stratus 2.0 doesn't seem to finish turns very well (atleast from my experience) I think the Mazda6/Losi Alfa would provide that extra steering that I need. Unfortunately, I'm expecting a couple of painted Stratus 2.0 bodies from franksbodies anyday now so I kind of put all my eggs into one basket there. I've tried the Mazda6 on the Evo3 and it's VERY good. However, if we have to trim down the wing to fit whatevere rules they decide on, then stability goes out the window I'll see what happens this weekend with narrowed front end and if I don't like it, I'll go back to the previous setup and run a Losi Alfa (you can get replacement wings for cheap incase you cut too much off :

Hope this helps a little more...

Hmmm I wonder how 'Nando is doing?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default My setup

You guys might have seen me in the nitro forum thinking about getting a Serpent 710. I was so excited to get a nitro car, but then I forgot that I would have to buy fuel all the time and have to know how to tune a nitro engine. So, I am getting a TRF-415 so I can throw away my piece of crap, Speed Gems powered TL-01. I call it, the basher.
Here is my setup:
Ko Propo Helios Ex-10
LRP Phazer Reciver
KO Propo 2344 servo
LRP Quantum Competion 2
Peak Racing Surikarn Motor 11x1
Fusion Team Grade Pack, dont really like to glue stuff togerher really bad at it
I need help with choosing the tires and the pinion
Whaddya think?

Thanks,
AMGMAN
Old 04-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Well Hi There! haha

Okay let's see, what kind of track will you be running on? Is it large? Small? Aspalt? Concrete? High/Low/Medium Traction? These will make things easier in choosing a good tire combo and gear ratio. Sorex Tires are generally good for a nice clean track with decent traction. They use a number system for tire compound which relates to track temperature. Lower the number the cooler the track. Higher the number... hotter the track. Sorex 32R with HPI Green inserts are a good start for warm/hot weather. Use them with Yokomo Aero Dish or Tamiya Dish wheels. Ratio.. hmmmm what's track size?
Old 04-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am going to be racing in a medium sized track that is asphalt. Using medium to hard traction. I am also going to be racing at the place where Hara won the nitro touring championship.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:59 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Hi every, one just reeived my 415 yesterday to late for the state titles but hope to have it up and running next so I can test before the Winter Champs. The surface is med to low grip on asphate. Has any body have an idea were I can start from with setup or any pit fall I might encounter.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 415 on power steering

Originally posted by rtypec
Hola,

Yeah I could use a "slight touch" of more onpower steering. It's a fine balance because if I go too far, the car won't feel comfortable in the inner right sweeper, setting up for the dog-leg/kink. When you get it wrong there, it's painful There are a couple things I can play with...

I tried some rear anti-squat a couple of weeks ago but it gave the car a little bit of a push coming out of corners It was a small difference and choose to go back to running the blocks even in the rear.

Also, the Stratus 2.0 doesn't seem to finish turns very well (atleast from my experience) I think the Mazda6/Losi Alfa would provide that extra steering that I need. Unfortunately, I'm expecting a couple of painted Stratus 2.0 bodies from franksbodies anyday now so I kind of put all my eggs into one basket there. I've tried the Mazda6 on the Evo3 and it's VERY good. However, if we have to trim down the wing to fit whatevere rules they decide on, then stability goes out the window I'll see what happens this weekend with narrowed front end and if I don't like it, I'll go back to the previous setup and run a Losi Alfa (you can get replacement wings for cheap incase you cut too much off :

Hope this helps a little more...

Hmmm I wonder how 'Nando is doing?
Hey Ramat...It is going to be tough to make the A.... a lot of fast drivers in the open modified...But it will be fun race no matter what the outcome.

Hola Rod..

yeah I know what you mean by going to far with the rear antisquat...maybe you could use the .7m spacer under the front rear block or somthing even smaller to get small increments of on power steering..

By the way, I think you are using the 1 deg alloy rear upright. How are those upper links setup? Any Spacers? which Hole on the upright. You are likely using the outside hole on the upright with no spacers, but if you are not the you could add some spacers to raise the roll center and/or you could use the outside hole to free up the rear end on power.

The other though I had was for you to use the 8 degree caster blocks in the front.

By the way, I worked on my carpet rubber tire setup tonight and made about a half second improvement and became much more consistent (lap times varied 80% of the time by 2 tenths and never more than 4 tenths). I went from 10.2 to about 9.7 on average.

here is the new setup
Front
springs : changed from Tamiya Blue to Tamiya YELLOW
swaybar : yellow
upper links : changed from 3mm to 0mm spacers under inside link - raised roll center to reduce front grip.
camber : -1
toe : 0
caster : changed From 4 degree block to 8 degree block
Kickup : none
UpTravel/droop : changed From 3mm to 2.5mm
rideheight : 5mm
one way : yes
Shock positions : outer holes top and bottom.
Tire : CS22 with medium insert - full compound.

Rear
springs : changed from tamiya blue to tamiya yellow
swaybar : yellow
upper links : changed from 0mm to 4mm spacers under inside link
camber : -2
toe in : 2.5
Antisquat : 1mm spacer under the front rear block
UpTravel/droop : 2.5 mm
rideheight : 5mm
Shock positions : outer holes top and bottom.
Tire : CS22 with medium insert - full compound.

The lowering of the rear roll center and raising the front roll center really had a major impact on stability this was the key to getting good stability into the corner and then I added some antisquat and longer upper links in the rear too get some mid to late corner steering back. The 8 degree front caster smoothed the entire corner out.

I have to say, I have never driven a car that was this easy too drive consitently fast on carpet.

I tried this setup on our very dusty and cold outdoor track and the car pushed on entry and was loose on exit. I think once that outdoor track gets cleaned and some cars driving on it again, the setup willl work fine with some minor adjustments (likely remove rear anti squat and possibly go to slightly shorter upper links in the rear, along with lowering the front roll center just a little.)

I guess I should start working on a spool setup next

Last edited by Martin Crisp; 04-30-2004 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Martin! Whats up? thanx alot for the set-up info. But there is 1 other thing! I'm running on foams. So if possible could you give me a set-up with foams. I'm not gonna have to practice with the car till Sunday's race and the info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input. I'll have a lot of ideas swirling in my head this weekend and we'll see what happens. One step at a time...
Old 04-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im kinda torn between the 415 and the Pro4. Has anyone driven or owned both?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have driven the pro 4, drives very well. Sounds like a belt car if you get it geared right. I was also looking into the TRF 415, but its alittle too expensive for me right now, but looks like a great car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.