Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by senna555
Ed or other...

Lookng for a little help.

I have been using your last carpet setup on thard site on msx other than ho rear blocks.

The car has been great for club racing super easy to drive and I have been on a tear of wins at my low/med grip club track.

However I attended an event today that had off the chart grip as a result of turnout of racers and mostly a foam event. Jet black driving groove. I struggled with traction rolling only on 180 degree turns. I was also slightly apparent on sweepers but I could drive around that.

I tried many things to resolve the problem and not one thing seemed to help. The only way to stop the traction roll was 15 clicks of positive throttle trim to stop weight transfer and then I tried a yellow sway bar w/o throttle trim and it induced understeer everywhere else but stopped the traction rolling.

Has anyone run a rubber car on super high grip something like you would experience at IIC or other major foam based tracks with paragon?

I ran out of time but I wanted to try much heavier shock oil front and rear.

Thanks
Jamie
If you suffer from grip roll THE solution if you're at a race meeting and can't afford to try different setups is to put some glue on the sidewalls on the front tyres. I use a cotton bud and make sure it is uniformly applied all round the tyre. You want to go towards the edge and a little round it but not on the part of the tyre that is in contact with the carpet, if that makes any sense.

Other than that, raise your roll centres, make the rear slide a little by reducing the rear toe and raising the roll centre at the rear more than the front.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Meatball1974
Jamie or Ed

Which sheet on tHard did you use? I've been having exactly the same problem you started out with and our track is quite low grip right now. the back end on my msx likes to be in front of the car exitting (and some times entering) corners. I've done a lot to try to remedy the problem but just don't see the results.

Frankly, this car seems quite oversteer happy right now. even with no traction compound on the fronts and the rears practically soaked in it.

My msx has a direct center and diffs front and rear, running foams, 5-6mm ride hieght, with about 2-3mm upward travel (droop?)

FYI Ed. LOVE the site.
My opinion is that your problem isn't setup related but something wrong with the car. If it breaks loose off power and on power randomly, I'd say you have a bent hinge pin, or toe block or something like that.(wheel axles if you're using the alloy ones that come with the MRE).
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
My opinion is that your problem isn't setup related but something wrong with the car. If it breaks loose off power and on power randomly, I'd say you have a bent hinge pin, or toe block or something like that.(wheel axles if you're using the alloy ones that come with the MRE).
mechanically, the car is quite sound. I've become quite anal about that. Didn't say that the over steer was random. Only that I didn't know what adjustments to make to fix the problem.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Meatball1974
mechanically, the car is quite sound. I've become quite anal about that. Didn't say that the over steer was random. Only that I didn't know what adjustments to make to fix the problem.
Ah, sorry it sounded like it was quite randomly breaking loose. I'm the most anal person when it comes to having the car built and kept right, but last summer I couldn't get the car to work, the rear end would just break loose sometimes. I spent 2 months trying to figure it out, and found out the rear right bulkhead was bent...

With foam tyres (I believe you said that's what you use) I'd say if you have rear grip issue that you need to stiffen the car up, maybe use two top decks or find yourself a 4mm chassis, it makes a huge difference.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guys, what are youre thoughts on taking off the servo-saver on the MSX MRE and switching to a direct horn?

It is used on road so it does cop a bit of a bashing but after a shunt last night the servo saver has been constantly slipping (even slow driving) and im thinking of just switching it to direct. Have tightened the saver right up also. Still not much help...

Help appreciated,
-Cheers
Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dorikin
Guys, what are youre thoughts on taking off the servo-saver on the MSX MRE and switching to a direct horn?

It is used on road so it does cop a bit of a bashing but after a shunt last night the servo saver has been constantly slipping (even slow driving) and im thinking of just switching it to direct. Have tightened the saver right up also. Still not much help...

Help appreciated,
-Cheers
I've been using a direct horn for over a year now, both indoors and out. Not done a single servo (S9550) and I've had some big hits (one split the chassis plate, and sheared the servo mount screw... servo was fine though!).

I do use a plastic one though (it's a futaba X horn cut down), so it has a bit more give anyway, and will snap in a major impact.

Tried a saver on my 416 recently, didn't like it so went back to the solid horn. My main issue was getting the setting to center to the same position consistenly... switched back to the solid, no issue

HiH
Ed
Old 03-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Interesting... I did examine the springs and the saver (tamiya) had worn down. In meantime have replaced it, problem now is that when im driving the car still seems to track left/right in a certain direction and its never holding a straight line, no matter how many adjustments I do.

Servo seems fine and the turnbuckles are all at the right lengths (29mm) but full lock in either direction isnt the same! When im setting it up full lock in either direction is impossible to achieve I have no idea why this is the case but is really getting frustrating. Current setup is a TRF415 MSX MRE with GTB/5.5r and controlled via a DX3.0/SR3000... for road use
Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Is anyone running a diff, not a spool or one-way, on their car on asphalt? I just got a 415MSX with a spool and I don't like it. I will try it a couple of more times to try to get use to it. I'm just use to running a diff. All the setups I have found they are using a spool on asphalt.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chill_Will
Is anyone running a diff, not a spool or one-way, on their car on asphalt? I just got a 415MSX with a spool and I don't like it. I will try it a couple of more times to try to get use to it. I'm just use to running a diff. All the setups I have found they are using a spool on asphalt.
I use front diff, you can start with spool setup but reduce weight shifting on front (ex: higher rear downstop), usually works for me.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

I looking to buy thr front diff from Tamiya. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53921

What gear do I need to go with it? Part number if you know it.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I looking to buy thr front diff from Tamiya. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53921

What gear do I need to go with it? Part number if you know it.
depends largely on what car you have, If you have the original 415, MS or MSX (with the black 35t pulleys), you'll want TAM51055.

If you have an MSX MRE, MSXX, or MSXX MRE, you'll need the white 36t pulley, part# TAM53935.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Thanks TryHard, your check is in the mail.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pulling my old 415 MSX/MRE/DMC out of mothballs and going to give it a run again. Be good to get back to AWD RC car, instead of FWD wheelspin

My chassis started off as a 415 MSX, then added the MRE bottom deck and steering, 415 MRE heatsink plate and Evo V arms. It is a real mixture of a chassis.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

I had a diff on my ta05ms, just did't feel right after all. the car is understeering a lot with wheel spin lose traction. the turn in respond is also bad with a diff. stick with one way all the way
Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dorikin

Help appreciated,
-Cheers

It centers better in case of the servo saver don't center it very good after an impact.

I still prefer a saver, find the tightest one you can find if fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.