Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The main differences are the steering system, the drive pulleys, the layshaft, and the heatsink that holds down the layshaft.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oh yeah, the MRE comes with a direct drive front pulley (spool) where the MSX comes with a one-way.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Awesome run for the Tamiya guys. I bow down to Mr Corey Lewis for his victory in 19T, he pulled off the the triple crown at the Tamiya track. TCS Nat winner, KO Grand Prix winner, and now the Reedy Race Champion! Freaking dialed and great stuff. He definately earned his Lobster and Filet Mignon dinner last night.

I'm not Numan but I can say that our cars were the best they've ever been at the Tamiya track.

As for the chassis, I believe we were all running the 2.5mm chassis with a mix of top decks. I remember seeing Marc with a short supsension at one point but I do not know if he went back to the standard LW suspension. Some of us used the new center pulley/belts and it definately freed up my already-free drive line. Also, a lot of us were running McMaster Carr, or Yokomo steel screws on the top deck so that we could really crank down on them and the cars were rock solid and consistantly held their tweak even after clipping curbs, or the kink at high speed.

rampal, the Invitational class had to run 5 cell. Open Mod and Spec had the option to run 5 or 6. I tried 6 cell with a BL 3.5 and it was just too much power for the setup, tires, and track conditions. I went to 5 cell after two practice runs and changed absolutely nothing on setup with the exception of going up to 500 in shock oil and the car was the best it's ever been.

I'll try to add more details when my mind is a little less foggy.
Awesome effort by all of the Tamiya guys out there this weekend! Congrats to everyone on their efforts whether it be Cory, Marc, Rod, Dave, Fred, Josh, and all the other guys in the large blue Tamiya pit!

I have about 225 pics of action from this weekend, and all is mainly of the Tamiya cars and their pit. If anyone saw a guy learing over the Tamiya pit all weekend with a digital camera...it was me. They are all about 4mb each so I could post some samles if anyone is interested. Lots of good pics of the 415's that the guys had!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Reedy Race update..
Marc R wins in invite

Looking at the pics, looks like he was running the MSXX chassis and top deck, and certainly looks like a bigger centre pulley... also looks like standard length LWT arms, and not the short.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=523
Need some higer res pics really.

Maybe Mr Numan can share the tamiya teams setup

Laters
Ed
That girl is wearing way too many layers of clothing there

I can't wait to get the parts in to upgrade my MSX to MRE. The carbon plate in the steering setup on my car at the moment is so worn around the bearings, it has a crap load of slop.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by CarKing
Awesome effort by all of the Tamiya guys out there this weekend! Congrats to everyone on their efforts whether it be Cory, Marc, Rod, Dave, Fred, Josh, and all the other guys in the large blue Tamiya pit!

I have about 225 pics of action from this weekend, and all is mainly of the Tamiya cars and their pit. If anyone saw a guy learing over the Tamiya pit all weekend with a digital camera...it was me. They are all about 4mb each so I could post some samles if anyone is interested. Lots of good pics of the 415's that the guys had!
Post pics of the cars here when you get a chance. Want to see what they've done so far to the MRE or MSXX chassis during the race.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:09 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Let me know how these are, I tried to stay outta the way while the guys were working.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-cimg0289.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-cimg0308.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-cimg0384.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-cimg0387.jpg  
Old 05-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

great results there guys.

@ CarKing - those pics are great. post some more!!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

On my standard MSX what parts are required to update the steering and to put the newer pulleys on

thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Great pics CarKing. Looks like Marc was pretty much running an MRE. Is it me, or has he also chopped the cross bracing off the heatsink upper brace? Looks like there'll be plenty of ppl getting the Dremel out tonight...
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Holla! Hi Steve, it was a pleasure finally meeting you and hanging out. Thanks for putting my car down during the mains, I really appreciate the help. Also, don't worry about the runs...(the ones on the track at least) I saw a bunch of them and they were getting better and more punched every time. At the end, it was right there.
Great to meet you and the rest of the Blue-crew. Sorry I had to blaze out of there...had to catch the red-eye out of LGB. I would say I'll do better next time, but the track may not be there, so we'll see. Thank you for all the "full-punch" help.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by veecee
Great pics CarKing. Looks like Marc was pretty much running an MRE. Is it me, or has he also chopped the cross bracing off the heatsink upper brace? Looks like there'll be plenty of ppl getting the Dremel out tonight...
Yes, they milled out the upper brace...made for easier diff/belt changing and possibly to free up some flex. And if you look carefully at the left side view, they also milled the motor side of the left bulkhead to get the motor closer to the center of the car.

Also, he ran a new steering setup (raised MRE steering), 2.5 chassis, new belts and pulleys (more teeth).
Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sohlman
Yes, they milled out the upper brace...made for easier diff/belt changing and possibly to free up some flex. And if you look carefully at the left side view, they also milled the motor side of the left bulkhead to get the motor closer to the center of the car.

Also, he ran a new steering setup (raised MRE steering), 2.5 chassis, new belts and pulleys (more teeth).
I can see on the pics with the steering, few quick Q's... is that simply the bell cranks flipped, with the brace mounted underneath? or is it fully raised up a few mm... it does look like they are mounted higher on the posts though, so I'm guessing second option. how much is it raise by?

You can just see the milling on the motor mount in one of the pics too. How much did the guys take off?? 1-1.5mm?

Cheers
Ed
Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
I can see on the pics with the steering, few quick Q's... is that simply the bell cranks flipped, with the brace mounted underneath? or is it fully raised up a few mm... it does look like they are mounted higher on the posts though, so I'm guessing second option. how much is it raise by?

You can just see the milling on the motor mount in one of the pics too. How much did the guys take off?? 1-1.5mm?

Cheers
Ed
Hey Ed,

Yes, the bellcranks/posts were just flipped and raised enough that Marc ran his transponder on the lower deck, right side, and the bellcrank would swing over it. Not sure exactly how much though.

And the bulkhead was milled about 1mm.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i always wanted to own a 415 before i 'quit' racing. im thinking of getting very soon. 600+ pages is alot of readin. is there any websites besides tryhard that has info and tips on the car?

what spares are needed most?<---------age old question huh.
im running on asphalt out doors sooo spool is a must. i saw the derlin spools but what about the cvds? are what do u guys use?
are the alu rear diffs good for mod racing?
im looking at a msx,mre or the msxx, any thoughts?

does anyone have a 415 for sale or would sell? pm me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.