Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I belive you can also use the Evo sway bar mounts, You just have to cut them to the same size as the 415 mounts, those mounts already have a set-screw hole molded in to hold the bar...
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

I keep on seeing TAMIYARACING.NET printed on Rheinards car stand but the URL is no longer in use. Anyone know what the website was about??? Just being nosey thats all!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you Josh, Thank you Stuey. I located both parts numbers for these mounts: Tamiya Evo #51254 and Yok's #SD-203.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

hey guys, just a quick check. i have a normal 415 spool used on my msx. My LHS sells the MRE spool outdrive and sleeve. Will these outdrive fits in normal 415 spool? how about the steel pin? is it the same length?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey lotus1 you will need the 4mm carpet chassis for foams. i run the iic setup and it works great but i run A blocks up front to narrow the front end. the car steers and rotates tons better. also no sway bars. i run 19t and stock. this setup is dialed. also run parma foams cyan front and magenta rear. i dont use the .5 axle shim because the parmas are .75 offset. use the shim if you are gonna run jacos. also the aluminum ball studs snap like pretzels. i run hpi pro 4 ball studs and heavy duty low friction cups. the car is now bulletbroof. cant wait to run it in cleveland. tamiya will be drilling the 4mm chassis for the new steering so you may want to wait or you can drill it yourself like i did. its pretty easy. hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Numan
I belive you can also use the Evo sway bar mounts, You just have to cut them to the same size as the 415 mounts, those mounts already have a set-screw hole molded in to hold the bar...

But wouldn't we got to buy the whole part tree just to get the EVO 4's roll bar mounts??
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Raced the car tonight, I'm fed up with the ball cups snapping off....twice I had to go look on the track just for my turnbuckle.

What do you guys use, to keep those things from coming off? The slightest hit, even on the ends of the board with the plastic round pieces, and it still comes off.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

have to admit, I've never had an issue with ball cups popping off...admitadly, I tend to race outdoors, or on a carpet track that uses sand filled hose, so rarely come across solid boards.
You could try the Hara tip of gently heating the ball cup over the ball joint (ball cup shrinks to the ball joint) or a very thin layer of CA glue inside the cup.
How old are the cups? and how often do you pop them off for maintence?

Popping the off the ball joint is the thing that wears them the most.... I now use the hexheaded ball nuts, with a hole drilled in the ball cup, so I never have to pop them off, just unscrew the ball joint.

HiH
Ed
Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Popping ballcups of fire!

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
Raced the car tonight, I'm fed up with the ball cups snapping off....twice I had to go look on the track just for my turnbuckle.

What do you guys use, to keep those things from coming off? The slightest hit, even on the ends of the board with the plastic round pieces, and it still comes off.
If your using the black plastic ball cups, switch to the gray low friction cups they seem to fit better. If your using the blue aluminum ball ends and the anodize has come off of them then they are worn out and should be replaced.
Don't know your circumstance so just a couple of suggestions.
I'm trying to remember what trick the off road guys use. It will come to me and I'll post it once I remember!
Just my 2$
Old 10-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodo
hey guys, just a quick check. i have a normal 415 spool used on my msx. My LHS sells the MRE spool outdrive and sleeve. Will these outdrive fits in normal 415 spool? how about the steel pin? is it the same length?
I belive that the Cups and sleeve will work no problem, the pin should be the same lenth.
Josh
Old 10-04-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey lotus1 you will need the 4mm carpet chassis for foams. i run the iic setup and it works great but i run A blocks up front to narrow the front end. the car steers and rotates tons better. also no sway bars. i run 19t and stock. this setup is dialed. also run parma foams cyan front and magenta rear. i dont use the .5 axle shim because the parmas are .75 offset. use the shim if you are gonna run jacos. also the aluminum ball studs snap like pretzels. i run hpi pro 4 ball studs and heavy duty low friction cups. the car is now bulletbroof. cant wait to run it in cleveland. tamiya will be drilling the 4mm chassis for the new steering so you may want to wait or you can drill it yourself like i did. its pretty easy. hope that helps.
Thanks all.I think I'm going to have to wait for the 4mm chassis unfortunately.Till the bank account moves back upward. Will try the other stuff tho.Looking forward to this car,should be fun.Mario.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Chassis

Quick one...The 4mm chassis..is that only available thru Tamiya? Mario.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nope, you can get the 4mm chassis through speedtech rc (if it's in stock).

I had a problem with ball cups popping off a few weeks ago , i race in a extremely tight indoor carpet surface (with no grip) so contact is going to happen. All i did was replace the plastic ball cup and i haven't had a problem since.

What shells are you guys running on carpet with rubber tyres? The track i'm going to go to over the winter is kinda big with a decent level of grip, some fast and some tight corners. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles
Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Nope, you can get the 4mm chassis through speedtech rc (if it's in stock).

I had a problem with ball cups popping off a few weeks ago , i race in a extremely tight indoor carpet surface (with no grip) so contact is going to happen. All i did was replace the plastic ball cup and i haven't had a problem since.

What shells are you guys running on carpet with rubber tyres? The track i'm going to go to over the winter is kinda big with a decent level of grip, some fast and some tight corners. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles
Hey Charles, on carpet using rubber tires the Mazda 6 is always a good choice. I've tried the 3.0 and it feels pretty good, but always go back to the 6. This is just my preference. Let us know if you find something that works better.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by lotus1
I have a Reinhard edition coming this week(hopefully).I'll be using it on carpet with foams to start.Don't have the time to search thru 15,000 posts.lol.Any building tips etc you guys can share/summarize for me?Things to look out for when building,that kind of thing.Going to be running on med.grip ozite,Figured I'd start with the IIC setup.Thoughts on this?Thanks,Mario.
Hey Mario, the standard steering knuckles don't accomodate the width of foam rims (they won't fit unless you really cut down the rim). You can try using the HPI steering knuckles, but you'll also have to use either their axle or the old style tamiya axle. It's pretty simple once you get the parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.