Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Old 08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo
Hi,I've just bought a new stock Tamiya TRF 415 chassis after coming from a TL-01, so completely new.

Man I’ve got so many questions:

My first Q is what motor pinion should I use, I've got a 13X3T motor?

Second does anyone know if I can still use my Futaba s3003 steering servo, if not what should I get?

My third Q is do they make a battery clip for the TRF 415 cos I don't want to waste my money on tape that'll run out!

Lastly do all 190mm shells fit the TRF 415?

an answer to any of these would be greatly appreciated.
1 - Too many variables on this. Best thing to do is approach fast drivers at your track and ask what Final Drive Ratio they are using, then calculate from this what size pinion you will need.

2 - Yes this is fine

3 - You can make one for the TRF415, cant remember which manufacture parts you need, If its the MSX there is a Tamiya conversion kit but its expensive! They dont use a hold down bar as it can tweak the chassis causing the handling to be inconsistent. The tape lasts for ages so for the price of it id stick to that! Just my $0.2

4 - Most of the touring car shells fit - Alfa, Mazda, Stratus, Skoda, Nissan, Nemesis etc

Hope this helps!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,I've just bought a new stock Tamiya TRF 415 chassis after coming from a TL-01, so completely new.
That is a bit of a jump in chassis there. You might find the 415 a bit fustrating to setup. I had issues getting used to it, coming from a TA04.
Man I’ve got so many questions:

My first Q is what motor pinion should I use, I've got a 13X3T motor?
I'd say around the 8s. Check www.gearchart.com for a gearchart for the chassis to know what spur/pinion to get
Second does anyone know if I can still use my Futaba s3003 steering servo, if not what should I get?
It will fit, but takes up a huge amount of space. If you are running a FM controller, I suggest looking at a compact servo, like the Futaba 9550.
My third Q is do they make a battery clip for the TRF 415 cos I don't want to waste my money on tape that'll run out!
I ran a Xray battery strap for a bit, now going back to tape. Had enough of the strap trying to tear away at my lower chassis deck and coming loose on its own, shooting the battery across the track. See how others use the tape on the car, and follow their directions.
Lastly do all 190mm shells fit the TRF 415?

an answer to any of these would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, the 415 was made for 190mm shells.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone know the part number of the Tamiya transponder mount Rheinard often uses to attach his transponder to the servo on his TRF? I could do with one! Much appreciated!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

i still use my S3003 servo for racing, and it's not the best, but it works. I need a new servo though .
Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I hope this idea doesn’t shock, but as I have a standard 6-cell battery pack (in a wrapper) already which is very good and almost brand new, I've decided to use Velcro to attach it. This is because I don't have any soldering skills, or a soldering iron for that matter to solder together a bunch of single cells. I didn't think Velcro would be strong enough at first but I found out that a 25mm square could hold up to 850g. Given that the pack weights 365g if I where to use two it couldn't conceivably move. ok i might have to trim a bit off here & there to fit on those thin strips between where the single cells sit, but there you have it a method of attaching the battery with out adding any weight, taking up any more space and can be whipped off in an instant plus cos it wont move it won't scratch the chassis! I even found it in blue to match the chassis, he, he !

Oh, btw cheers for that site Burlap, it’s excellent!!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Tech Master

I hope this idea doesn’t shock, but as I have a standard 6-cell battery pack (in a wrapper) already which is very good and almost brand new, I've decided to use Velcro to attach it. This is because I don't have any soldering skills, or a soldering iron for that matter to solder together a bunch of single cells. I didn't think Velcro would be strong enough at first but I found out that a 25mm square could hold up to 850g. Given that the pack weights 365g if I where to use two it couldn't conceivably move. ok i might have to trim a bit off here & there to fit on those thin strips between where the single cells sit, but there you have it a method of attaching the battery with out adding any weight, taking up any more space and can be whipped off in an instant plus cos it wont move it won't scratch the chassis! I even found it in blue to match the chassis, he, he !

My Suggestion would be to look for someone that has some decent soldering skills and teach you some basic soldering.

Everyone who is into electric should have some decent soldering skills...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

you mean you attached a stick pack to the chassis using velcro ?!??
Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 AM
Tech Rookie

At my local club they race with silver can motors and all run one-ways but I have noticed in 27t at other clubs that people are running spools. I thought that the spool would drag a stock motor down quite a bit on sweeping bends, and that the spool was mainly for running mod. I know that if the track is tight and u r on and of the brakes quite a bit then a spool is good,, Bassicaly do u think that i should get a spool to try when running silver can motors on a flowing track or just not bother?.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dodo
you mean you attached a stick pack to the chassis using velcro ?!??
It might not be the standard way of doing it, but really whats so bad about Velcro? I migt even use it instead of double sided tape this time to stick the radio gear down. I mean the amount of times I had to rip the radio gear off my last chassis for one reason of another, wasting tape & putting extra stress on it.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

It might not be the standard way of doing it, but really whats so bad about Velcro? I migt even use it instead of double sided tape this time to stick the radio gear down. I mean the amount of times I had to rip the radio gear off my last chassis for one reason of another, wasting tape & putting extra stress on it.
Maybe the radio gear, but the thickness of the hook and loop portion of the velcro + the backing will make it a lot thicker than sticky tape, batteries, I don't think it will hold it in place, seems that the momentum of a car full speed down the straing coming to a sudden stop by hitting a wall would launch the battery out the car ...I may be wrong? Also I think the battery would wiggle "left and right" as you corner the car, where as cinching it down with tape is fairly locked in place. ...but you never know ...try it out see let is know what the results are ...I HATE using tape ;-)
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

anyone have the instruction manual for MR edition? thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure that i'm using the gear chart at gearchart.com correctly. what is mean't by the size of pinion etc? I thought they were measured in terms of number of teeth. Also what size is the standard spur that comes with the 415?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure that i'm using the gear chart at gearchart.com correctly. what is mean't by the size of pinion etc? I thought they were measured in terms of number of teeth. Also what size is the standard spur that comes with the 415?
Size of the pinion is the number of teeth on the pinion, not sure on the others, but on the MRE it is 102
Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Size of the pinion is the number of teeth on the pinion, not sure on the others, but on the MRE it is 102
Cheers, u're help is much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)
Default 415 Blue Aluminum screw Set -

For anyone that is interested, I am putting together a few aluminum screw sets for the 415, particuarily the MSX editions. It will have all 84 pieces in blue anodized 7075 aluminum. I am not recomending all of the 84 pieces be used (i.e lower kingpin screw, steering linkage, etc), however they are all included. The cost will be around $25 shipped anywhere in the US and slightly more overseas (not bad considering 84 pieces). I wanted one for myself and I had to order a few extras pieces in each size regardless. I will also have individual pieces available in smaller quatites for $0.40 per screw. Should be available by the end of theweek. Email ([email protected]) or pm if interested.

Erik

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.